A few railroad related items and a "trap", perhaps?

GreatWhite00

Sep 7, 2009
Cleveland ,Oh
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
A few railroad related items and a "trap", perhaps?

Today I was meaning to set off in the woods at the end of my street, but instead I felt like taking a drive around to look for new sites. I took my detector along and figured I wouldn't use it due to the ground being mostly frozen. By the time it was getting dark I decided to head back to the car to get the detector to search an area that looked out of the ordinary. These three items are all I found.

The rail tie plate was found about 20 feet north of where the tracks once stood. It is marked with 100RA and was quite an item to dig out of the almost frozen ground. It is a little over 9"x7". The item on top looks like some sort of animal trap. It folds up and had a chain connected to the centre. This was found near the top of the soil quite a distance away from the other two items. The item on the bottom I could not figure out what it is. It is marked 77-55 on the side. I found this about ten feet away from the rail tie plate, so I figure it is some sort of railroad item.

I was impressed with the Cen Tech pinpointer on this short outing. It works much better than I expected.

Attachments

• 122609.jpg
    122609.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 845
Upvote 0

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
Re: A few railroad related items and a "trap", perhaps?

the trap is a conibear, used for muskrats and beaver mostly

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep,a #110 Conibear to be exact,for Muskrat.Way to small for beaver,#330 for them. :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Was that railroad iron near the trap?I used to use those as anchors on those traps,sometimes.As said, Conibears kill on impact so anchoring did need to be excessive

OP
OP
GreatWhite00

GreatWhite00

Sep 7, 2009
Cleveland ,Oh
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

I did not use headphones this time, but the signal sure was strong. I found the trap by itself a few hundred feet away, on the other side of where the tracks would have been. The trap was along a path leading to the swamp. It had nothing anchoring it down.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Could have been set for Mink as well

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

kuger said:
Was that railroad iron near the trap?I used to use those as anchors on those traps,sometimes.As said, Conibears kill on impact so anchoring did need to be excessive
Kuger, I don't belong to PETA, LOL, but I have to say those Conibears don't kill on impact.....with a thousand "rats" under my belt, they actually constrict. Takes a couple minutes for them to do their job. Same with beaver, mink and coon. ffd

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer

Not bad finds for searching on a whim. Keep up the hunting when the feeling is right.
HH
KNightwalker

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fistfulladirt said:
kuger said:
Kuger, I don't belong to PETA, LOL, but I have to say those Conibears don't kill on impact.....with a thousand "rats" under my belt, they actually constrict. Takes a couple minutes for them to do their job. Same with beaver, mink and coon. ffd
[/quote
Hello,well I guess we will agree to disagree.I have trapped for over 25 years on a professional level.I was also on the National board for B.M.P (Better Management Practices)True the 110 may not always kill on impact,but is designed to break the back,and why they are set under water and with an anchor such as the rail road iron.The #330 I guarantee kills on impact %99 of the time I have seen video and been on studies witnessing in action.Have you ever had a #330(beaver)Conibear catch you by the arm?I have and it broke it,not good.So as said I guess we will agree to disagree :thumbsup:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

kuger said:
Fistfulladirt said:
kuger said:
[/quote
Hello,well I guess we will agree to disagree.I have trapped for over 25 years on a professional level.I was also on the National board for B.M.P (Better Management Practices)True the 110 may not always kill on impact,but is designed to break the back,and why they are set under water and with an anchor such as the rail road iron.The #330 I guarantee kills on impact %99 of the time I have seen video and been on studies witnessing in action.Have you ever had a #330(beaver)Conibear catch you by the arm?I have and it broke it,not good.So as said I guess we will agree to disagree :thumbsup:
Hey that's cool, I was describing the #110. I've no experience with that 330, it's a monster. Sorry about your arm! ffd

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good,you said"Beaver ,Mink,and Coon though.#110 are for Mink and Muskrat....small animals(not Beaver,Coon) :thumbsup:

OP
OP
GreatWhite00

GreatWhite00

Sep 7, 2009
Cleveland ,Oh
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

What exactly is the item on the bottom right? I know I have seen one of these before, but I can't identify it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread