A few weekend finds from street reconstruction project.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The construction projects are starting to wind down around here, but there are still opportunities to make some good finds. The town is in the process of a complete street and sidewalk reconstruction that will probably take a few more years to complete. One of the areas currently dug up is in the downtown historic district. The other is in an older residential neighborhood. As you can see from the photos, all the boulevard's have been scrapped. The best find I made was a common date Indian Head cent, but in uncommon condition. It was only 1/4" deep.
The first couple of photos show the areas where the finds were made.
The little brass car was probably part of an old pin of some type. Its amazing that it came out in one piece considering its size and thickness. (1.5" X 2.5").
The only silver was a well worn Mercury dime and a silver earring.

Attachments

• 092908 002.jpg
    092908 002.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,499
  • 092908 015.jpg
    092908 015.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,466
  • 092908 016.jpg
    092908 016.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,477
  • old car.jpg
    old car.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,494
  • 1864 IH back.jpg
    1864 IH back.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,485
  • 1864 IH front.jpg
    1864 IH front.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,471
  • 092908 028.jpg
    092908 028.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,496
  • 092908 006.jpg
    092908 006.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,498
Upvote 0

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiya Minnetonka,

Great street finds. That indian is really in good shape. Great detail in the feathers. You done well.

PS: Used to live in Northfield

SKD
WeDigOhio

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Those are great finds! The 1864 indianhead is awesome condition and if I am not mistaken I think I see an L in the hair of the indian which makes it very valuable!!!!!!!!! The L is the intial of the designer James B Longacre, The L will be located in the hair just below the bottom of the last feather, better give it a good look through a loop!! Keep up the good work!

Happy Hunting
Slipperyjack47

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
That is, without a doubt, the nicest dug Indian head cent I've ever seen. I envy you, my friend. Congratulations!

Joe

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Slipperyjack47 said:
Those are great finds! The 1864 indianhead is awesome condition and if I am not mistaken I think I see an L in the hair of the indian which makes it very valuable!!!!!!!!! The L is the intial of the designer James B Longacre, The L will be located in the hair just below the bottom of the last feather, better give it a good look through a loop!! Keep up the good work!

Happy Hunting
Slipperyjack47

bk - Slippery is right - give it a good look with a loupe or magnifying glass - I took the liberty of circling the area to check in your pic. If it has the " L " - your looking at the very least - $150... without the " L " - $30...

Keep us posted !

Attachments

• ee copy.jpg
    ee copy.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,396

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love the old Boy scout token. Constructions sites have been one of my favorite places to hunt. Its like bringing history back to life. So many nice finds.... happen to just show up at those kind of detecting sites. That is probably one of the nicest 1864 Indians I have seen dug up. Nice job!

John

OP
OP
bk

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies!
The first thing I thought when I found it was... "is it an L variety"?
It is not. I did find one years ago. Though the coin is not in as good a shape, you can see the difference in the bust. The L variety has a pointed bust and the no-L variety has a more rounded bust.
Also if you look closely at the reverse, you will notice a die crack at the top of the shield and runs to the edge of the coin.

Attachments

• 64 no L.jpg
    64 no L.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,383
  • 64 L.jpg
    64 L.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,382

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BK,
Super cool finds. That IH is FANTASTIC. :o
Love that little car too. :thumbsup:
Congrats at being at the right place at the right time. :clock:
-MM-

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool beans dude, that's one righteous IH and relics. that penny looks like it was minted yesterday. :thumbsup:

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great finds, I like the old car and like every one else said that IH is fantastic WTG :thumbsup:
Glenn

ICE ADDICT

Aug 15, 2007
Cheektowaga New York
Detector(s) used
whites Spectrum XLT E-Series
BEAUTIFUL INDIAN!!! No doubt she stayed that clean because of the layer of black top lying above her all these years.. I have two 64's NO L's!!

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
bk said:
Thanks for the replies!
The first thing I thought when I found it was... "is it an L variety"?
It is not. I did find one years ago. Though the coin is not in as good a shape, you can see the difference in the bust. The L variety has a pointed bust and the no-L variety has a more rounded bust.
Also if you look closely at the reverse, you will notice a die crack at the top of the shield and runs to the edge of the coin.
awesome finds.. I had my magnifying glass out an didn't see a L either.. wish you would have found the L variety that would have been so cool... One thing you did find was a awesome IH.. Now I have a question.. If that is a die crack would that be considered a error coin??

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, very nice stuff you found there! Ya do any ice fishin' up there? My sister used to live in Fridley.

HH,
Ramapirate

Missouri_John

Nov 27, 2006
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I absolutely drool when i see street tearout photos, so thanks for the pics. They've been tearing out a lot of streets and sidewalks in my town and i have yet to score any good coins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread