A GUIDE TO VAULT TREASURE HUNTING (Condensed)

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

SeekerOfPast

Greenie
Nov 9, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the replies everyone! I've had a lot of free time today and so I've hit the books trying to research as much as I can. What I found was interesting, yet slightly disappointing for prospects of finding any caches in Florida.
According to a lot of references, the Spanish originally came to Florida looking for gold, but they were sorely disappointed when not much of anything was found. Even today, no gold has ever been found in Florida. "The geology of Florida does not present the conditions needed for gold. Most of the state of Florida as we know it today was once covered by water, where limestone deposits were formed and built up over millions of years. Numerous occurrences of flooding and receding ocean waters added sediment deposits as well. Simply put, these are not the geological conditions where gold is found, and there are no known occurrences of natural gold within the state of Florida." says Gold Mining in Florida. Panning and Prospecting for Gold.

However, on a hopeful note, Spain was here in Florida for a long time. Over 200 years! Wikipedia had a lot to say on this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Florida
After all, St Augustine is the oldest city within the USA. If there are any caches in Florida, this stuff would have to of come from somewhere else. Evidently, a lot of the gold that is technically in Florida that is known, is off the coast. Mainly from sunken Spanish ships, and there are many of them that are still not found. This ties in to what you said earlier Sandy, I think the main thing a lot of people try to do is probe the beach for any of the treasure that washes ashore. This method evidently brings in some nice gains! Metal detectorist finds rare treasures under sands

In any case, since Spain technically owned Florida for so long, I still think its a possibility that a cache could be hiding out there somewhere. I won't waste massive amounts of time trying to find something I'm not sure is even there, but I'll give a shot in the dark and try to find something. I couldn't find any old Indians trails that the Spanish used, but I think that's because most of the "trails" that they used were actually waterways. Most of the Indians here used Florida's diverse waterways to get around. I suppose it could be assumed for a time the Spanish did as well.

I'll probably poke around some of the waterways around Saint Augustine. Its as good of a place to start that I can think of. If after a little while my search isn't bearing much fruit, I think I'll probably take a plane ride out to the Arizona/NM area. Its pretty much confirmed that there are trails out there, and so the motivation will be high if I know its there.

Anymore tips will be greatly appreciated, and of course I'll update you on my journey as things progress! :icon_thumright:

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
Look at the old buildings there I bet you find some interesting stuff built into them. And I'd say they'd more than likely be in plain sight if there's any there.

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
SOP, you will never find anything about treasure being buried by the Spanish in any "legitimate" or should I say "illegitimate" history books. only in stories in treasure hunting magazines etc.

SeekerOfPast

Greenie
Nov 9, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehe, okay. Well I dug around a little more and I did find some interesting treasure stories. I suppose those are my leads. I'll have to do some driving, but I always like road trips anyway hehe.
Great idea about the buildings Orange. I suppose looking in these old historical areas could lead me to something. Thanks again guys.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida has cache sites. The water ways are the best but not the only place to look for hiding spots. You can still find. Stones in FL. Learning to read those are hard.. best done early morning and late afternoon. Everytime I'm down there I can see their signs. There is the old Spanish trail that runs across the state. From the Atlantic to California. . There are four trails within 60 miles from me. It's out there if you know what to look for. However it's not as easy to see like our western brothers. The signs are the same. Only size and how it's placed Is different. I was wondering where you went Sandy.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every year in St. Augustine they have a night time play at the fort. It fun if you can get into it. The fort is lit up like it was back then. Spanish soldiers speaking their language and if you get in on it you will be part of a ship wreak seeking food and shelter. There are also two English spy in the bunch. It good.to take your lady's too. It scared my wife cause they made it seem real. I had a good time with it. I did it over thirty yrs ago. That coast is loaded with treasure. Getting to it can be easier that finding the land caches. No codes and symbols to deal with.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi SOP; A few more tips for you. You want to join the closest Treasure Club near you. Just look in the Clubs Forum Sub Section here for the list of Clubs in your area. Those guys know the area backwards for the best places to search. Second, contact AARC. He is one guy who knows the areas well and he is a Member here. PM him ok. There are several guys here from Florida. Also, The Spanish brought a LOT of stuff up from South America & Potossi, Mexico to Florida for the last leg of transport back to Spain. Much of it was buried there. Look up the Atocha. Also, even though the waterways were the main transport routes back then they also had a LOT of trails they used inland as well. Not everything was done by waterways ok. Key West is LOADED. especially in and near the waterways. Good Luck. Keep us Posted and don't forget the pictures ok. PEACE:RONB

PS: Key West is one of the last truly unexplored areas left in Florida. Most of it is underwater which shift paths every year. That's 500 years of shifting. Can you imagine just how much stuff is lost there. INCREDIBLE. !!! There "MUST" be treasures from every Civilization that has ever existed in that area. Ancients, Indians, Spanish, English etc.. I'd drool to go searching there. Think about getting yourself a Whites PI 3000 Unit or a Garrett SeaMaster. Great machines, Waterproof to 300' and VERY sensitive. They are both Pulse Induction Type, (PI), detectors which is by far the most sensitive detector there is underwater. On land you won't get 4". Underwater you'll get 2' - 4' "NO PROBLEM ok. The one "quality" or "feature" you want in an underwater detector is one that is "NEUTRAL BOUYANT." ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:

SeekerOfPast

Greenie
Nov 9, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida has cache sites. The water ways are the best but not the only place to look for hiding spots. You can still find. Stones in FL. Learning to read those are hard.. best done early morning and late afternoon. Everytime I'm down there I can see their signs. There is the old Spanish trail that runs across the state. From the Atlantic to California. . There are four trails within 60 miles from me. It's out there if you know what to look for. However it's not as easy to see like our western brothers. The signs are the same. Only size and how it's placed Is different. I was wondering where you went Sandy.

Woo hoo! Thanks so much for this info! I PMed you earlier, and as I said in that PM, my motivation levels just skyrocketed.

Hi SOP; A few more tips for you. You want to join the closest Treasure Club near you. Just look in the Clubs Forum Sub Section here for the list of Clubs in your area. Those guys know the area backwards for the best places to search. Second, contact AARC. He is one guy who knows the areas well and he is a Member here. PM him ok. There are several guys here from Florida. Also, The Spanish brought a LOT of stuff up from South America & Potossi, Mexico to Florida for the last leg of transport back to Spain. Much of it was buried there. Look up the Atocha. Also, even though the waterways were the main transport routes back then they also had a LOT of trails they used inland as well. Not everything was done by waterways ok. Key West is LOADED. especially in and near the waterways. Good Luck. Keep us Posted and don't forget the pictures ok. PEACE:RONB

Barker this info is priceless. Thanks a bunch! I'll join a club ASAP, and contact AARC right away. Now, as for these inland trails, I find this very interesting! A google search brings me nothing about them. Where can I find info about them? If you know them, or at least know how to find them, could you PM me them? :) If anything, I'll see if AARC has any info.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi SOP: I'm not sure but AARC is your go to guy ok. I'll PM him and let him know your coming. As far s Trails you could do a Search for "Spanish Trails in Florida." That should produce a list you can follow. You may also want to do a Search on Inians in Florida and follow that List. Also check out the Galleon Atocha in I think either ClearWater, FL or Key West ok. Great reaing. Much of that stuff is still washing up today. Let us know how you do. REMEMBER: "PICTURES" ok. PEACE:RONB

SeekerOfPast

Greenie
Nov 9, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi SOP: I'm not sure but AARC is your go to guy ok. I'll PM him and let him know your coming. As far s Trails you could do a Search for "Spanish Trails in Florida." That should produce a list you can follow. You may also want to do a Search on Inians in Florida and follow that List. Also check out the Galleon Atocha in I think either ClearWater, FL or Key West ok. Great reaing. Much of that stuff is still washing up today. Let us know how you do. REMEMBER: "PICTURES" ok. PEACE:RONB

Hehe thats what I thought about the trails, but it didn't produce any results. I'll give AARC a poke and see if he knows.
I read the wiki on it! Super interesting! That's a lot of treasure O.O
Okay will due! Pictures will be a comin'! ^^
Thanks so much again:thumbsup:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi SOp; Going to bed now but when I have time tomorrow I will do a bit searches for you ok. I already PM'd AARC to let him know your coming ok. PEACE:RONB

By the way.: Welcome to TNet.

SeekerOfPast

Greenie
Nov 9, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a bunch Barker. :)

Indeed Orangeman! I've gathered up a few the past couple of days. Most are not from the Spanish actually, but are various pirate stories, or of different Indians that hid the Europeans treasures.

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Sachi, You need to get the layout and compass degrees and actual level measurements from center to center of each boulder, the geometry or layouts are always more important than what is on them. (for instance if it is a chain trail it will have a good Compass degree between them as well as a known turning degree to the next Boulder), if it were a triangle the distance would make sense between the legs or all of them added together. etc. Because there are two they must be a known distance apart and a compass degree for sure, assuming that they relate to Each Other.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi saachi; I believe Sandy is spot on about those boulders. Get a good compass and take all the Compass readings you can. There "must" be another boulder or set of boulders within eyesight of these boulders ok. Buy one of those 100' tape measures. Then you can get EXACT distance readings as well. REMEMBER: as Sandy said the distances apart between each boulder should be exact ok. I'm also sure that there will be carvings on the other boulders as well. Post all your pictures here so We can ALL see them ok. Sandy may see something in a picture none of us would pick up on that will help you a lot ok. The ones you Posted are good, solid pictures there. Keep it up. Make sure you "WRITE IT ALL DOWN." ok. NEVER leave info, no matter how small confined to your memory. We are human and we forget stuff all the time. Ask my wife. She's always yelling at me for forgetting stuff. Now I write down even the grocery list BEFORE I leave the house. Works good for me and it will for you too ok. Good Luck. We look forward to your next pictures and Post. PEACE:RONB

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi saachi; I believe Sandy is spot on about those boulders. Get a good compass and take all the Compass readings you can. There "must" be another boulder or set of boulders within eyesight of these boulders ok. Buy one of those 100' tape measures. Then you can get EXACT distance readings as well. REMEMBER: as Sandy said the distances apart between each boulder should be exact ok. I'm also sure that there will be carvings on the other boulders as well. Post all your pictures here so We can ALL see them ok. Sandy may see something in a picture none of us would pick up on that will help you a lot ok. The ones you Posted are good, solid pictures there. Keep it up. Make sure you "WRITE IT ALL DOWN." ok. NEVER leave info, no matter how small confined to your memory. We are human and we forget stuff all the time. Ask my wife. She's always yelling at me for forgetting stuff. Now I write down even the grocery list BEFORE I leave the house. Works good for me and it will for you too ok. Good Luck. We look forward to your next pictures and Post. PEACE:RONB

PS: I just noticed you have a little note in the picture group that says the distance is 123' between each boulder. AWESOME. I also noticed there are letters ODJ carved on top of the first boulder. I think they are modern graffitti ok. Sandy; What say ye on them?? I think you really are on a true treasure trail here. COOL.!!! PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
What Barker said goes for everybody (never rely on your memory for measurements and compass degrees) always take a pen and paper on site with you.
Also never forget something to drink even if you think its just a short walk.(Living in the desert I learned this the hard way by breaking down in August at a site and having to walk miles to the nearest town, I had to drink from a cattle pond)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread