A GUIDE TO VAULT TREASURE HUNTING (Condensed)

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
There are tons of stuff carved all over these rocks but what is important is to find the singular rocks that are viewed from certain locations such as viewing through this shaft sign. After enough people see this I will move on to the alignment and how it relates to the dig spot.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Sandy; yup, I learned that much from our earlier sessions bu I could not help notice Turtle there. See, I am learning. PEACE:RONB

PS: HAPPY HOLIDAYS

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Now on to the next part.

Here is a closer look at the Rabbit looking at the heart (these two markers are exactly 7 varas or 19.25 feet apart)
3.JPG

Then we look around the heart Marker and we find a Boulder standing up at 3 varas or 8.25 feet from the heart making an alignment with the heart Boulder.
Here are the two markers the Heart is the closest Marker.
4.JPG

Since I already knew where the alignment crisscross spot was, I went ahead and measured back to the Heart(not the far marker) and guess what we get exactly 77 feet which is 77x3 or 231, now remember what I said about the numbers 123 they have to do with the storages. (The distance of 77 feet I have found at many different treasure sites)
6.JPG

Two things to note here, first they used Varas up to the point that they turned and went to the dig spot then changed to feet, and second The compass that is on the dig spot has no bearing on these particular alignments because they did not use a compass degree on these ones, I use the degrees to layout the overview of the markers on CAD, However they did use distances on them.

Last edited:

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Sandy1
Thanks for giving us such comprehensive views of the alignments.
Nice compass setup. I see you used the best practices of the handy mans guide to get a adjustable, rigid, and non magnetic mount.

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
lol, yeah it was a bit of engineering feat to get it to turn as well as pivot to make it level(uses a brass ball joint and a piece of leather), I couldn't find anything made like that anywhere, so I made my own, I also have a 1800s full size Compass with the telescope and transit combo, but that thing with the old wood tripod is just too heavy to lug around, but it sure is accurate.

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Bet that old transit is a be-uty. They just don't build things like they used to.
Leather was used in ways that I would never have guessed if I hadn't seen it.
Worked on a old 50 ton press that used a large diameter cylinder so it could preform with low input pressure.
Both the cylinder and the pump pistons had leather seals that were probably 50 years or more old before they started to fail.

AIORIA

Apr 1, 2009
Good evening everyone. I hope you all had a happy and blessed thanksgiving. Sandy, thank you for the new information. I get a KICK every time you post new info on vault treasure hunting and I appreciate it a lot my friend.

On your last picture showing the compass on the dig spot, was the dig spot pre-marked by sentinels with the small rocks and sticks in a circular pattern over the dig spot or did you mark it?

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi AIORIA; Welcome back to the party. Happy Holidays everyone. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
A, I laid the rocks there to hold my tape measure end so I could measure back down to the alignment boulder down the hill at 77 feet, I measured with the tape level and not with the slope of the hill as that would give me too long of a measurement.

So what part of it was funny?(You said you get a kick out of my posts)

AIORIA

Apr 1, 2009
Sandy, I very much enjoy and delight in your posts my friend. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

What about the sticks on the floor in circular pattern. Was that already there when you found the dig spot for the first time?

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes the dead Ocotillo was actually covering the entire spot until I removed them (the work of the sentinels to subtly mark the spot for themselves)

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
A good compass pocket transit , tripod and mount setup will cost about 400-450 new if you look for the best deals online. But when you consider how much you pay for metal detectors, which are rarely effective, I think I would fork out the money for the compass set up or try and find a used set up from a university looking to upgrade or surveying business. Alot of this stuff gets put away in a closet, so it should be out there for cheap if you look around. Most people who have this stuff lying around don't know how to or don't really bother trying to ebay stuff.
compass1.jpg

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Some sites use the compass alot while other sites don't seem to use anything other than line of sight with two rock alignments and pointer rocks.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, you can probably get away without them, I still use mine all the time though.

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
More new info, Here is what I found while looking the opposite way through the shaft sign from post #142.

The closest rock is the rabbit and is aligned with the next one circled, these go to the rock that is pointing to the right going over to the large boulder, This Large Boulder is one of two alignment Boulders to the dig spot.

7.JPG

I will show the second one and how it aligns in a bit.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you going sideways to the shaft sign here to a dig spot, (where you walk straight away from the gap) I'm not sure I follow correctly.

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is the proper way to view the shaft sign (circled in red) and the alignment rock that you stand behind to look through the shaft sign (circled in black)
Shaft Sign and alignment through the middle of the shaft sign.JPG

So when I move over behind the last rock (circled in black) I get this view through the two shaft sign boulders)
7.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions