May 2, 2012
Dolly Sods, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
ATGOLD!!
xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, but I'm happy for it! Today was a pretty dreary with periods of rain that actually sent me back home after no more than showing up at the site, checking the lay of the land, and deciding which coil to start with. I got back to the house sure the day was finished with, but the itch was still burning so I just had to go back as soon as the rain looked like it would stay away for a bit.

First hit of the day was only around 4 inch down and appeared to me to be a copper token or something, so I put it in my pocket hoping some of the crud might gently rub off and went about digging between a few more light mists of rain worrying me about having to quit again. It didn't amount to too much though so I trudged on digging some old square nails, horse shoes, and various iron and lead scraps with the occasional pottery shard and glass mixed throughout the dirt. Actually found an interesting intact clear vaseline jar digging a horse shoe, lol.

Next good hit came from some burned looking soil looking like burnt 50 cent piece so got pretty happy about it, 5 inch away from it I pulled some kind of ID tag I think, planning on checking into it tomorrow. Then at long last the heavens resumed with a large boom, so I decided to head home again.

As soon as I got home I gently brushed the coins with a soft bristled brush to get an idea of what they could be and was plainly shocked. The smaller token looking one revealed part of a shield on the front and a 2 in the back. A Freakin 2 Cent coin! First time getting past the 1900's and its That! That got me doing a little happy dance in the kitchen.

I next got the larger one out and repeated the process thinking to myself, " Man, hope this isn't some kind of modern coin a hunter dropped." Then I started to see the round wreath and the word cents in the center of them.... resumed dancing.... Wow a large cent too!

It's a wonder lightening didn't strike me out there. Never found a Pre 1900 coin before, and found 2 unusual ones like that in the same day. I'm still grinning about that. Can't wait to try it again tomorrow if the dang rain holds off. Now this is the feeling I've been missing digging lots of clad in the same day. I'd much rather find these than battery money anyday!

id tag.JPG large 1 and 2 cent back.JPG large 1 and 2 cent front.JPG Sorry about the pic quality, got a cheapy.

Also I'm pretty sure I can clean these up better, but right now I'm soaking them for a bit till I try freezing them to chip the corrosion off. Might try a hot peroxide dip after that, but hoping to do other less harmful ways first to preserve as best as possible. Anybody with good ideas on cleaning is more than welcome to give them. After all, this could be the beginning of a great story some day! lol.

Upvote 2

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice and preparation H should help with that burning itch.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread