Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hal & Mike

As I recall, the old timers called Aylor's Arch the Eye of the Horse, or Caballo Oja. If you make it the eye on the horse of the Stone Maps, the head, neck and back of the horse can be roughly laid out on a topo.

Good luck,

Joe

Very interesting. I wonder when and why the name change from eagle's eye to horse's eye took place. I keep reading that Palomino Mountain is known as a "mystical" place but there is very little published to explain it. Standing in Aylor's Arch, looking east towards Black Top Mesa with a copy of each map may just be the next step.

Here is how I am seeing it.
The Upper Trail and Heart stone tells us were to go and what has been hidden.
It could be the location of 10 caches in 10 natural landmarks (caves, etc.)
Or it could be 10 x (TRIANGLE which is the symbol for 120 (degrees) which would be 1,200 (something) hidden in 10 "caves".
Is it 10 caches of 1,200 or one cache of 1,200,000 or using the stone map, 1,000,000.

If we had more information on the Broadway Cave treasure, we would be in a better position to take a guess.
Right now, IF the stones are authentic treasure maps, and IF this is the correct way to read them, then a hidden cache of gold & silver coin, perhaps belonging to the Mexican Army (military payroll) would make complete sense. If you were a Mexican loyalist in 1847, with a wagon load of gold coin and in the northern areas (Santa Fe, Tucson) during the American invasion, you would have essentially been trapped. Returning to occupied Mexico with a treasure was not an option. So, you hide it, and make a coded map so someone else could one day return to it. Of course this is just one possibility.

The Lower Trail stone (the profile line) would be what to look for once you have found the location. In this case, that could be Palomino Mountain.
Far less complicated than hot air balloons and aerial photographs.:icon_jokercolor:

Last edited:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a Wadjet eye in the Catalina's once. I don't think I still have the pix but I know where its at. I don't know if I could make that climb again though. Egyptian I believe. Carved in a rock face high up on a mountain.

Ran into a rock climber up there living for free. His camp was high up there and he had seen no one except me in all the years he lived there. He worked at a circle K in Catalina and had moved here from back east somewhere. Had a secret rope hidden for climbing up there after his shift.

He said he liked sleeping out in the open. I told him he looked like a good meal for a Lion.

I never went back there again to see if he was eaten or not.

Im sure the eye is still there. But light sky markers are important that's a given. Way to go Hal. The eye has many meanings.

I discovered a head monument once that had a tongue for one of its eyes. The Tongue is also not visible in the Witch map.

The tongue can lead to water but its also considered a "Key" for unlocking a door.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
First,

It is not "Ojo de Aquila". It is "Ojo de Aguila" (Eagle's Eye). It is actually a pretty well known spot in the Supers. It is better known as "Aylor's Arch" (atop Palomino Mountain), named after Chuck Aylor. The entire scene in "Lust for Gold" where Barry Storm finds the "eye" near the end, and knows that he has to be in the right place at the right time for the moon to shine through the arch and light up the entrance to Waltz' Mine. THAT basically represents Aylor's Arch and Black Top Mesa.

View attachment 1190219

Mike

The "light shining through a hole/arch/notch" movie device to mark the entrance to something, be it treasure or another is an old plot device used many times, and I'm fairly sure that Secret of the Incas ripped this off, and of course we know that famous scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark with Indy and the staff of Ra. Raiders is one big ripoff of Secret of the Incas which is why you can't rent or buy the latter anywhere, but you can view it on youtube (but for who knows how long).

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the very last clue to the LDM. What is next to the mine?

Tree pines in line .

clue.jpg

Last edited:

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hal Croves, Amigo:coffee2:
This figures,Its even laughable,:laughing7: That because this area was used in a movie script,therefore no one ever took this area seriously,or considered it for solving a mystery except for the old timers.that is Ironic. talk about the ultimate superstition curse on treasure hunters. And just to think that when I was In school ,I was always accused of not paying attention.:dontknow: you asked for more, here is something to consider,the sentence on the horse tablet that says "yo pasto al norte del rio", Is yo referring to the horse, or I, as a person, and is Rio referring to a actual river or the word Rio on the Horse map,and on the Heart stone there is a line with a "R"below it ,which matches the same area on the horse stone, Interesting way to really throw someone off the trail.looking for a river that does't exist.:dontknow::laughing7:NP:cat:

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
s,

Cause NP. The The Superstitions, Los caballos & western Mexican mines are lnked They were all on the route to Rome.

What makes you think it wasn't the other way around ? Where all trails might actually end at ...or within...the sacred heart.
The folks who were about to be rounded up and sent away for a long time wouldn't ship their savings to the guy who abandoned the order and signed the decree.
I don't think they believed in unicorns.

Last edited:

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What makes you think it wasn't the other way around ? Where all trails might actually end at ...or within...the sacred heart.
The folks who were about to be rounded up and sent away for a long time wouldn't ship their savings to the guy who abandoned the order and signed the decree.

They would smash that unicorn against a wall. Nudge nudge

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too messy. And no need to smash anything anyway.
2=3 wink wink

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010

somehiker,
The obvious flaw in the Jesuit theory is the date of 1847 which, appears on both the stone and paper maps, apparently some 80 years after the expulsion. Could there be a Jesuit connection to the Superstitions? Why not, those rascals were capable of almost anything it seems. But, where is the physical proof? We only have whispers and campfire stories to give that idea legs. If there is a Jesuit connection, it would have to predate the stone maps. Think about why people date things. Graffiti, a painting, a legal claim. A date establishes a point in time and implies an initial claim to ownership.

In 1847, I hid ten somethings in natural landmarks (caves) in this area and here are the locations. Simple. Now, who would have had a treasure worth hiding in 1847 Arizona and why the need to hide it? These are the two fundamental question that need to be answered first.

Since we already have an example of stone treasure maps being found and used in Texas, it seems only logical to compare the two stories.

If you ever have the chance, take a look at Fray Pedro de Arriquibar's Census of Tucson taken in 1820, just a month before his death. There are a few familiar names on that list and one that I find especially interesting. Carabineer Ph[elip]e Palomino. Could be something or just a coincidence. In 1847, a mining party from the south would have almost certainly stopped at Tucson for supplies, shelter, and safety.

Tucson was fairly prosperous in 1820 and Fray Pedro de Arriquibar did well for himself. "He had a house, twenty four horses, about forty head of cattle, and 590 pesos..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread