Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hal. some of the southerners migrated to a beautiful valley in Chihuahua, half way to Tayopa. 'Bermudes', some of their decendents still carry their names. Moss, etc. Want pictures ?

Yes, please!
I am not sure why this part of our history is overlooked. Just fascinating.
Carlota, A Confederate Colony in Mexico

Carl Coke Rister

Here is NP's (?) "Little Map", as I see it, based on the dates depicted. Confederacy Red Line Advance - Dotted Line Retreat = Sibley (Hunter to Tucson) Union Forces Blue Line.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are cat ears

They loved cats....some were even Cat-holic.......LOL

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Joe, gracias. The middle to late 1800's would do. it fits the LIL Map's 18oo's nicely. So additional remarks were 'added' to it - the origional.

Howdy Compadre,

I see that Joe already gave you a fairly good guess, which is all we can do. I know he makes as much sense as a beauty queen sometimes.:laughing7: My point was that it's not a Jesuit map, but you assume there is an original? :coffee2:

Homar

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found them.

.jpg .Berudez.jpg .jpg .Bermudez.jpg

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Hal do you have anything that puts pegleg Tumlinson, in the phoenix az area

nice pics Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hal do you have anything that puts pegleg Tumlinson, in the phoenix az area

nice pics Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp

I may not be the best person to ask this question. There are others, closer to the Tumllinsons, who should now be able to offer an accurate timeline of Peg-Legs life.
I am still hoping that I am wrong about Peg-Leg's service in the War of 1861-65. If it is correct, it is insane.

Leave open the possibility of Peg-Legs father or uncle first acquiring the "original", "original" map(s).
They may be your "Phoenix Area" connection.
And don't forget Bell Tumlinson, Peg-Legs 2nd cousin, who arrived in Phoenix in 1917 and filed claims in the 1930's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010

roadrunner - Compare the two maps. When I do, I eliminate the differences leaving only the similarities. These "similarities" are what I consider to be the essentials. They repeat on both maps and vary in size, design, and location only slightly. In this case, only the circle within a circle symbol and the slanted number 7 are "essentials". Lines that represent mountains or hills seem to change but not in their placement so, these would be secondary symbols. Still important however their shape not always critical.

The two essentials happen to be treasure symbols. The number 7, used to represent the letter G, Gold & God or "camp" a place to rest. Resting on the seventh day.
The circle within a circle, meaning something concealed within a natural landmark.

There may also be a warning on the paper map.

Again, this is all just theory.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hal

The symbols are from the stone hearts ( Latin and trail's ) .

SideSide2.jpg

Just a theory ?

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hal

The symbols are from the stone hearts ( Latin and trail's ) .

View attachment 1198493

Just a theory ?

Interesting.
What you are describing as a cave of gold, I am reading as something related to the death-star symbol or, warning of death (perhaps a "death trap"). There is a third possible use closer to your idea but not quite the same. At this point, I am 98% convinced of two things. The first being that several mines in the Superstitions predate the Peraltas. The second being that the Peraltas or someone working on their behalf, continued mining perhaps seasonally and with some success until 1847-8, perhaps later on a small scale.

Right now, I am entirely convinced that any theory about the stone maps fitting the range must have some obvious connection to the Burbridge Map. It is the only "treasure" map of the Superstitions known (publicly) to have been professionally authenticated. Meaning, it dates to the time suggested on the map unfortunately, nothing more. Obviously, only a discovery of treasure would make it an authentic "treasure" map.

I am fascinated by the Burbridge Map and how it has been almost overlooked in many of our conversations. Like I said, the Burbridge Map dates to a time when the Peraltas and others would have mined the Superstitions. It is the foundation map.

It also supports my ideas about Aylors Arch being an important landmark.

Edit: I have spent some time looking at the Burbridge Map and the men who followed it. Their story is equally, if not more fascinating, than Travis and his stone treasure maps. The Burbridge Map deserves its own thread... and perhaps a new, more accurate name.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread