A lost heart of gold / with pictures now added

Buckeye Boy

May 27, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX - Fisher CZ 3D with Sunray FZ-1 probe
Hello fellow TreasureNet treasure hunters !

Sorry I'm a bit late posting my finds from Saturday May 17th but from reading your adventures I know how much you folks like a good story and nice pictures so I wanted to do this the right way, especially since this is my first post. If the pictures don't show up right away it's because I am heading off to my brothers house to load them since my computer wont do it at the moment.

So sit back, relax, grab a cup of :coffee2: and enjoy my adventure.

The plan to work Saturday had changed so I decided to get up early and go hunt "the field of bullets" as I call it. Not long after I started , one of my new hunting buddies came along and started hunting as well.

We had hunted for about three hours and I found three Civil War bullets and about a dollar in clad. We decided to take a break for lunch so I headed home. After eating I decided to clean my bullets off before heading back out and got a nice suprise on one, it was a beautiful example of a pulled or "worm hole" bullet in a 68 cal. round ball, and needless to say I was excited, :o for it's not every day you get to find one that been pulled.
pict1.jpg
After returning from lunch I decided to hunt a different part of the field. Within a couple hours I found some more clad and continued to dig the iffy signals but only came up with some aluminum can slaw, a few pieces of small rusty iron junk and some small foil.
I thought about taking another break or stopping for the day because I wasn't finding anything else that was good but decided to continue on because it was such a beautiful day. :icon_sunny:
After digging another iffy iron signal which turned out to be a rusted wire, I no sooner stood up, stepped on my plug and moved about three feet when I got a nice sounding signal. :thumbsup: I swept the target both ways and it sounded great but the VDI number on my White's DFX never locked on, it just jumped. I then pin pointed it at 7 1/2 inches and dug a plug.
I was thinking, this is about the same depth as what I'm digging some of the bullets at and with the good sound and the way it jumped I though it might be another pistol bullet which gave me a similar signal several days ago when I dug one.
I then swept over the plug just to make sure it wasn't there and nothing happened. I then swept the hole and sure enough it sounded off. I then dug a small layer of dirt about an inch deep and swept it under the coil but nothing happened. I then used the Sunray Invader DX-1 probe that another detecting buddy of mine had let me use for the past couple weeks to see how I liked it and sure enough, found exactly where it was in the hole. I dug out another layer of dirt and was about to run it under the coil when I looked in the hole and saw the shiny glitter of gold. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I looked it for a moment to try and figure out what it was but from what I could see it wasn't a coin or a ring. I then dug a smalll clump of dirt a couple inches around it and popped the entire thing out of the hole and after pulling part of the dirt off I saw I had found a heart shaped necklace with little red stones. I carefully wipted some of the dirt off the back to see if I could find a karat mark and sure enough, it said 14K ! Woo Hoo !
I then rechecked the the hole to see if anything else was there, but nothing was. I then took my towel with the excess dirt and put it back in the hole, flipped the plug back in and did " The Happy Dance ! " while pushing it back down. LOL !
pict2.jpg
But my daily adventure is not finished yet. . . .

Toward the evening my other detecting buddy came along and started hunting as well. As the sun was setting and we were heading back to the truck, and the light from day was almost gone I got another good sounding signal about a couple inches deep. Even though I was having trouble seeing I dug it anyways and got what I thought was a flat wire about three inches long. :icon_scratch: I swept the hole again and got another flat wire about three inches long :icon_scratch: and checked the hole again and nothing. I put them in my pouch and headed for home.
As I started to clean out my pouch I soon realized what I had found. The flat wire was two pieces of a 925 silver necklace that was broke in half, so needless to say always check your trash. LOL !

My total for the day was . . .

5 Civil war bullets
$ 3.73 in clad
2 small 925 silver necklace parts

1 14K gold heart ( Hollow 10.3 grams )
pic3.jpg

Upvote 0

Fisher

Sep 24, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Re: A lost heart of gold

Welcome to TNet! Sounds like a fun filled day. Gold and Silver in one day! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see some pics.
HH

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fisher said:
Gold and Silver in one day!

Gold, Silver, AND CW LEAD in one day. Sounds like the Trifecta to me!

:thumbsup:

You're confusing me now... Balding Boy, Buckeye Boy, and Buckle Boy. :P

-Buck

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Welcome and great digs. Keep it coming. Let's see the picture show! ;D jgas

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A big howdy from Alabama! Sounds like you had a ball. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

Buckeye Boy

May 27, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used

Fisher said:
Welcome to TNet! Sounds like a fun filled day. Gold and Silver in one day! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see some pics.
HH
I had a great day!
The pics. to my post are finally there, not the greatest but they will work.

OP
OP
B

Buckeye Boy

May 27, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used

BuckleBoy said:
Fisher said:
Gold and Silver in one day!

Gold, Silver, AND CW LEAD in one day. Sounds like the Trifecta to me!

:thumbsup:

You're confusing me now... Balding Boy, Buckeye Boy, and Buckle Boy. :P

-Buck
It was a great trifecta, I agree !

Sorry about all the confusion, it's a screen name I used on another board so I just used it again here.

OP
OP
B

Buckeye Boy

May 27, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used

dave-enc said:
welcome to tnet and congrats on finds
hh
dave+bobbie
Thanks Dave and Bobbie
I can't believe it myself, it's only the second piece of gold I have ever found and was Civil War bullet # 34-39.

OP
OP
B

Buckeye Boy

May 27, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used

TimC (AL) said:
A big howdy from Alabama! Sounds like you had a ball. :thumbsup:
And a big howdy back at ya !
Yes, I had a long but great day and I hope to have a few more like it in the upcoming year !

OP
OP
B

Buckeye Boy

May 27, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used

Fisher said:
HH
Thanks, TNet is a great place to be ! I have enjoyed looking at lots of post and have learned a great deal of valuable information as well !

Keep up the great fun everyone !

OP
OP
B

Buckeye Boy

May 27, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used

Southern_Boy said:
Welcome, it seems you had a very productive day and some outstanding finds too. :icon_sunny:
I agree, a very productive day, and a day I won't soon forget.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions