A RARE 1787 CONNECTICUT HALFPENNY IN INCREDIBLE SHAPE!!!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This Victorian-era property I have been working this past weekend in my town has turned out to be a Colonial oasis. I have found many several Colonial firsts on this property which has been a real surprise and I believe is due to the remains of an old mill which is in the area. I will save those items for future posts, but wanted to share this incredible Connecticut halfpenny, which based on the decorator used in the die makes it rare or very rare coin to boot. It displayed on my Explorer SE Pro like a silver quarter, probably because it's in such good shape. Large coppers in northern NJ rarely if ever come out of the ground looking like this! I am also excited because it is my first colonial State copper in over twelve years of detecting. I have not nailed down the exact variety and have included photos and scans, neither of which really do the coin any justice. It is stuck off center and the date in cut in half, but due to the few years in which this coin was minted it must be a 1787 and there were over 200 varieties of this coin in that year! Please also note the die crack which goes through the letters "AUCT". This copper is the "Draped Bust" variety. Also note the very interesting look of the eye.

Attachments

• CT 1787 Halfpenny Photo (obverse).JPG
    CT 1787 Halfpenny Photo (obverse).JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 1,173
  • CT 1787 Halfpenny Photo (reverse).JPG
    CT 1787 Halfpenny Photo (reverse).JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,093
  • CT 1787 Halfpenny Scan (obverse).jpg
    CT 1787 Halfpenny Scan (obverse).jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 1,041
  • CT 1787 Halfpenny Scan (reverse).jpg
    CT 1787 Halfpenny Scan (reverse).jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 927
Upvote 53
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An additional bit of "color" on this coin--I just weighed it on a Tanita professional-mini digital scale and it weighs in at 10.2 grams or 157.4 grains. Thought guys like IP, Don, hogge etc. would like the additional info. Still working on getting better photos.

Just for reference the Stack's coin of Lot #11238 weighed 149.0 grains.

The coin was commissioned to weigh six pennyweight which is equivalent to 144.0 grains.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An additional bit of "color" on this coin--I just weighed it on a Tanita professional-mini digital scale and it weighs in at 10.2 grams or 157.4 grains. Thought guys like IP, Don, etc. would like the additional info. Still working on getting better photos.

No I'm good. I'll just wait for the mail to receive it. :)

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No I'm good. I'll just wait for the mail to receive it. :)

No problem IP--you've been very helpful regarding this coin; however, it may arrive at your door with pretty good "postage due" surcharge :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem IP--you've been very helpful regarding this coin; however, it may arrive at your door with pretty good "postage due" surcharge :laughing7:

oh yeah, the..... so-nice-I'm-never-going-to-sell-unless-you're-dumb-enough-to-pay-that-much-tax.

On 2nd thought, I'll look for my own. 8-)

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been under the weather with some crap in my chest,makes my head feel funny too,I take a second look at this and it most certainly is a Banner find,COOL Eric! GodBless Chris

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been under the weather with some crap in my chest,makes my head feel funny too,I take a second look at this and it most certainly is a Banner find,COOL Eric! GodBless Chris

Hi Chris! Hoping you feel better soon...thanks for the kind words and the banner vote--I really appreciate it!

Best, Erik

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow Erik that thing is unreal. Did you find it encased in wax in a sand pit?! Man I could only dream of soil like that down here. Great coin! Thats definitely a keeper and would look good on the banner.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Erin in NJ, WOW! Big time congrats on a finding a stunner. Most of of us are connoisseurs of dug crusty coppers. To see one come out of the ground like that is a treat. Banner vote from me.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Erik that thing is unreal. Did you find it encased in wax in a sand pit?! Man I could only dream of soil like that down here. Great coin! Thats definitely a keeper and would look good on the banner.

Thanks very much Jim! I could only wish that all large copper up here in northern NJ would come out of the soil like that! Appreciate the banner vote!

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Erin in NJ, WOW! Big time congrats on a finding a stunner. Most of of us are connoisseurs of dug crusty coppers. To see one come out of the ground like that is a treat. Banner vote from me.

Hi Jeff! Well it was certainly a treat for me too as most of my coppers are dug crusty too! Thanks so much for the Banner vote! Best, Erik

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are you making out with those pics Erik? If we meet up this weekend I can help.

haraldmartin

Mar 18, 2013
Norway
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPRO, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Edge Digger+Camo Pouch. RESERVE: Garrett EuroAce +AT-GOLD
Primary Interest:
Other
That.Was.Awesome!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mother nature treated that coin with kindness beautiful :icon_thumleft: Jim

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ON THE BANNER!!!!!
:occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on making the banner! Hogge

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ON BANNER!!! 13 colonies are always great coins to find:icon_thumleft:=ED

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deserving for sure. You'll see rarer CTs dug, but I think it will be a very long time before another gets posted in that condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread