A RARE 1787 CONNECTICUT HALFPENNY IN INCREDIBLE SHAPE!!!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This Victorian-era property I have been working this past weekend in my town has turned out to be a Colonial oasis. I have found many several Colonial firsts on this property which has been a real surprise and I believe is due to the remains of an old mill which is in the area. I will save those items for future posts, but wanted to share this incredible Connecticut halfpenny, which based on the decorator used in the die makes it rare or very rare coin to boot. It displayed on my Explorer SE Pro like a silver quarter, probably because it's in such good shape. Large coppers in northern NJ rarely if ever come out of the ground looking like this! I am also excited because it is my first colonial State copper in over twelve years of detecting. I have not nailed down the exact variety and have included photos and scans, neither of which really do the coin any justice. It is stuck off center and the date in cut in half, but due to the few years in which this coin was minted it must be a 1787 and there were over 200 varieties of this coin in that year! Please also note the die crack which goes through the letters "AUCT". This copper is the "Draped Bust" variety. Also note the very interesting look of the eye.

Attachments

• CT 1787 Halfpenny Photo (obverse).JPG
    CT 1787 Halfpenny Photo (obverse).JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 1,173
  • CT 1787 Halfpenny Photo (reverse).JPG
    CT 1787 Halfpenny Photo (reverse).JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,093
  • CT 1787 Halfpenny Scan (obverse).jpg
    CT 1787 Halfpenny Scan (obverse).jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 1,041
  • CT 1787 Halfpenny Scan (reverse).jpg
    CT 1787 Halfpenny Scan (reverse).jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 927
Upvote 53
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a very late night last night (mostly work and some :occasion14:) and so this is the first I'm seeing this. Just wanted to say thank you to all those that replied so kindly to the thread with compliments and information regarding the coin and a SPECIAL thanks to all those who cast their banner nomination for it--this is my first time on the banner and your support means a lot to me! Thanks again.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on making the Banner, not too ofton you see coppers up there. She's a real beauty, well done.
ZDD

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deserving for sure. You'll see rarer CTs dug, but I think it will be a very long time before another gets posted in that condition.

Thanks IP, you and Don were especially invaluable in id'ing the copper and assessing its rarity/condition. Thanks again for all you did--I really appreciate it!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright Erik! Congrats on your Banner appearance :occasion14:

TheDirtDiggler

Jan 10, 2013
Bergen County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very nice , I found one similar to this last year but like you said they never come out of NJ ground looking good. yours is in much better shape, congrats!!

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Erik, WOW! Congratulations on finding a FANTASTIC state coin and for making a well-deserved BANNER find! :thumbsup: The 'Mona Lisa' smile goes well with the unusual look in the eyes. Way to go :) Breezie

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! That coin looks beautiful on the banner.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Congrats! Makes all the zincolns and clads worth it!:icon_thumright:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allow me to be the 113th person to Congratulate you on a totally well deserved BANNER find!!! :occasion14:

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking coin Erik. Why does it look like it has white outlines on the edges?

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ERIK, 1st off what a BEAUTIFUL coin!! 2nd BIG CONGRATS on makin the BANNER!! With all the great finds you been gettin lately we knew sooner or later you'd be UP TOP.. Just don't look down on the rest of us nonbanner guys now. LOL!! JUST KIDDIN BUD... Go and get another one up there.. CONGRATS.. HH aka: the other ERIK!!!

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Matt, not sure what white outline you are seeing. The scan shows where some of the patina is missing around the edge of the coin (the scan really highlights all of the flaws as the coin looks much better in person that it does in the scan). I tried to preserve it the best I possibly could, but in removing the dirt, the patina near the edge suffered a bit. I'm going to try and get some better pics of it this weekend.

Great looking coin Erik. Why does it look like it has white outlines on the edges?

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ERIK, 1st off what a BEAUTIFUL coin!! 2nd BIG CONGRATS on makin the BANNER!! With all the great finds you been gettin lately we knew sooner or later you'd be UP TOP.. Just don't look down on the rest of us nonbanner guys now. LOL!! JUST KIDDIN BUD... Go and get another one up there.. CONGRATS.. HH aka: the other ERIK!!!

Erik who?? :laughing7: LOL, just kidding brother--thanks for the kind words as always!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Erik i've dug a crapload of CT coppers and this one is primo dude! congrats on the banner! makes me proud to see it up there being born,raised & still detecting in Connecticut

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread