Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I "found" some info today (it's a slow day at work). Take what you will from my first 200 silver coins from 2015, but I see questions about percentages come up. I assume 20 years, 30 years, and 40 years ago it would be a very different snapshot. Location, available sites, and other factors make this very subjective, but here it is: My first 200 of 2015...

80 Mercury dimes: 40%
34 Roosevelt dimes: 17%
32 quarters: 16%
132 dimes: 66%
5 half dollars: 2.5%
25 Washington quarters: 12.5%
4 SLQ: 2%
6 barber quarters: 3%
1 seated quarters: 0.5%
1 Spanish Cob: 0.5%
2 Spanish reales: 1%
17 barber dimes: 8.5%
3 seated dimes: 1.5%
OD nickels: 2.5%
1 seated half: 0.5%
1 barber half: 0.5%
2 walking Liberty halves: 1%
1 Franklin half: 0.5%
2 Canadian silver:1%
1 capped dime: 0.5%
8 Reale coin: 0.5%
Spanish Silver: 2.0%
Silver dollars: 0.0000% (crap)

Enjoy

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 18

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dream on a regular basis of going back to the late 60s with my XP Deus in hand and doing some serious metal detecting. I can only imagine what you would find just going to an old park or old school. Not to mention getting onto some properties that today are National Historical sites but may have been abandoned back in the 60s. I think too back then getting permissions would be easier. Just offer the owner a joint and you would be in like Flint.

THEN OF COURSE I WAKE UP and it's 2015 and Vino still lives north of Philly and I'm in nowheresville, NC

Erving

Apr 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very impressive silver count. Congrats on a great year so far, and I hope your silver count continues to grow. :notworthy:

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I dream on a regular basis of going back to the late 60s with my XP Deus in hand and doing some serious metal detecting. I can only imagine what you would find just going to an old park or old school. Not to mention getting onto some properties that today are National Historical sites but may have been abandoned back in the 60s. I think too back then getting permissions would be easier. Just offer the owner a joint and you would be in like Flint.

THEN OF COURSE I WAKE UP and it's 2015 and Vino still lives north of Philly and I'm in nowheresville, NC

You're hilarious dude! I dream of detecting in the middle 1800's but there would be no electricity. Or on on Gardiner's Island after Kidd buried his treasure but before the British got it back. Vino's whole family was in Italy then...lol

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Showoff........

Lol jk man, that's awesome!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For lack of a more colorful description of that amount of Silver I'll just say that is "NUTS"
My Silver coin count is ridiculously low this year, but a near-by guy has dug 66, albeit none older than 1900, which is out of my care about zone.

I think my best year was 28 silver coins, but a third were pre 1800s.

Congrats on a super year. You'll remember it, as you hunt out your area. Sadly this stuff don't grow back.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice breakdown on the coins Scrappy. Of course I'm impressed with the seated and Spanish, but I'm also impressed with the sheer volume of silver. 80 Mercury dimes?! I found five Mercs this year, and that's better than other years haha!

I have another fun percentage for you to go figure--what is your percentage of silver coins out of all the coins you have found this year? I'm usually around 5%. Yesterday I was tallying and counting my year end totals and my silver percentage is up to 6.2%.

I'd say 2015 has been a killer year for you!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
For lack of a more colorful description of that amount of Silver I'll just say that is "NUTS"
My Silver coin count is ridiculously low this year, but a near-by guy has dug 66, albeit none older than 1900, which is out of my care about zone.

I think my best year was 28 silver coins, but a third were pre 1800s.

Congrats on a super year. You'll remember it, as you hunt out your area. Sadly this stuff don't grow back.

Rick it is a lot of silver. The year before I dug maybe 25 or 30 silver coins but dug more relics. Sadly, you're right in saying it doesn't grow back.

...oh, new coins are dropped but I digress...

Duckman Willcox

Sep 20, 2015
SouthTexas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500, XP Deus, Simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Impressive collection of Silver. I know that dollar is out there waiting for you.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a crazy number of silvers Steve - great job! But where are the pics? We who like silver want to see them.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great number.
When did you add the CTX 3030 to your arsenal? ?
From the time you started using the CTX,, I'm sure you started to see a dramatic increase in silver coins.
My E-trac has made all the difference in the world.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bow to your greatness as I sit at a puny 39 silvers this season.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a lot of silver Steve, especially in 2015. I remember back in the late 1980s when I used to hunt yards, my silver ratio was roughly in silver coin for every 10 coins. You wouldn't happen to have statistics on the number of hours it took you to find those 200 silver coins?

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice breakdown on the coins Scrappy. Of course I'm impressed with the seated and Spanish, but I'm also impressed with the sheer volume of silver. 80 Mercury dimes?! I found five Mercs this year, and that's better than other years haha!

I have another fun percentage for you to go figure--what is your percentage of silver coins out of all the coins you have found this year? I'm usually around 5%. Yesterday I was tallying and counting my year end totals and my silver percentage is up to 6.2%.

I'd say 2015 has been a killer year for you!
Thanks J. I really don't know my total coins. I did cash in $150 in clad with coinstar (2000?), and have a 3/4 filled coffee can filled with wheats from this year, perhaps a thousand of those. Then a hundred or so Indians. So 3000 maybe?

3000 coins and 200 silver = 6.5%. It's a total guess but that's about the same as you.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In the 50s, when I started collecting coins, there were no metal detectors available (that I can remember) and silver ranged from 75 cents to 90 cents per oz. through the entire decade. So there was no rush to find silver. Another point: Silver was still in circulation and collections such as mine could rather easily be (almost) filled by just daily checking one's pocket change (or, in my case, my dad's pocket change). And silver dollars could be bought at the banks --for special occasions, like birthdays.
Yes, those were the days.......
Don.....

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a crazy number of silvers Steve - great job! But where are the pics? We who like silver want to see them.

Ok, Ok, I'll grab the jar and displays when I get home...lol

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Steve,

You post some great numbers! Sure wish I had an Etrac or equivalent detector in 1963/64 and visited all of the schools, playgrounds, parks, beaches and colonial sites. If I forgot any places it is because the ones listed would keep me busy for a life time.

Regards,

Doc

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks J. I really don't know my total coins. I did cash in $150 in clad with coinstar (2000?), and have a 3/4 filled coffee can filled with wheats from this year, perhaps a thousand of those. Then a hundred or so Indians. So 3000 maybe?

3000 coins and 200 silver = 6.5%. It's a total guess but that's about the same as you.

A hundred Indians? You wreck me man haha! That's a really great silver ratio. Hopefully we can keep this trend going in 2016!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the breakdown Scrappy.

That is an extremely impressive set of finds for the year. Best of luck to you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread