cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in the past but got no solve. I cleaned it up and took better photos. It looks like it is copper, but I am not sure.

I don't know if the little holes around it means it was attached to something with little rivots, screws or nails. I don't know if the anchor is a navy thing or if the anchor was a logo for something.

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.

AADSCN02261.JPG AADSCN02267.JPG AADSCN02266.JPG AADSCN02262.JPG AADSCN02264.JPG

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't 100% say what it was used for other then Naval I would assume... For a time frame I would place this to be early 20th century WWI time frame or even earlier. Can you give us alittle insight on where you found it? i.e. near a naval base? old house site? Thanks..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't 100% say what it was used for other then Naval I would assume... For a time frame I would place this to be early 20th century WWI time frame. Can you give us alittle insight on where you found it? i.e. near a naval base? old house site? Thanks..

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, sorry for leaving out that information, I am digging in the woods in East Texas on 12 Miles of mostly woods in Franklin County Texas on a private ranch. There was one homestead here in the early 1900's but I wasn't any where near that when I found it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly what's left of the center from a 2 piece belt buckle? I've seen similar and that looks to be the right size.

sounded good to me, until I saw kuger's reply! Now I am not sure, I hope he sees this and tells us why!

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 your piece is layered....or appears to be.Stamped brass two piece buckles are stamped from a sheet of brass....not layered.#2 the size of the anchor is dis portionate to the entire pice if it were to be the center disc of a buckle.#3 the holes around the perimeter appear to be be machined and servered a specific purpose,there is no purpose they could have served on a buckle.
I collect two piece buckles and have never seen anything remotely close to your piece.I have the common stamped brass "anchor",tongue(male part of a two piece buckle)sitting here in front of me but do not have the ability to post it

Upvote 0

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just tossing this out there: pocket watch back plate?

Doesn't really seem to fit, especially considering the machining, but maybe it will spark an idea with someone else.

-Ammo

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 your piece is layered....or appears to be.Stamped brass two piece buckles are stamped from a sheet of brass....not layered.#2 the size of the anchor is dis portionate to the entire pice if it were to be the center disc of a buckle.#3 the holes around the perimeter appear to be be machined and servered a specific purpose,there is no purpose they could have served on a buckle.
I collect two piece buckles and have never seen anything remotely close to your piece.I have the common stamped brass "anchor",tongue(male part of a two piece buckle)sitting here in front of me but do not have the ability to post it

Now thats a great answer! Thank you for taking the time to post all of that!

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is that material still attached to the back side?

Upvote 0

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There may have been a bezel around it that was attached (what the holes are for) and it's about the right size for a bridle rosette. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

scurvy_seadog

Feb 9, 2013
Grays Harbor washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Bounty hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett pro pointer, Garrett AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those look like MidShipman insigna for Annapolis Naval College. The top part of the buttons and have came apart from the rest of the body. My two cents from my navy back ground.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger is correct, but he also left out that many two-piece buckles are cast. I don't think it is Naval at all. Nautical, yes, Naval, no. It could have come from any manner of things from an old boat or been a logo from a boat part or accessory. Center of a motorboat steering wheel for example.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is that material still attached to the back side?

I am not positive, but I would say it is more tinnish or cheap or weaker metal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those look like MidShipman insigna for Annapolis Naval College. The top part of the buttons and have came apart from the rest of the body. My two cents from my navy back ground.

Thank you for your thoughts and more importantly for your service in the Navy!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just tossing this out there: pocket watch back plate?

Doesn't really seem to fit, especially considering the machining, but maybe it will spark an idea with someone else.

-Ammo

From your thoughts I googled naval / nautical anchor watches and came across some enclosed compasses that showed some possibility. I think this one will end up in the book of yes it is something!!! LOL I have a lot of finds that end up in that category. I sure appreciate yours and everyone elses thoughts on this!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger is correct, but he also left out that many two-piece buckles are cast. I don't think it is Naval at all. Nautical, yes, Naval, no. It could have come from any manner of things from an old boat or been a logo from a boat part or accessory. Center of a motorboat steering wheel for example.

I think this one will end up in the book of yes it is something!!! LOL I have a lot of finds that end up in that category. I sure appreciate yours and everyone elses thoughts on this!

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yah i think he was meaning more modern buckles, but casting was def. left way out.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think its a Navy item and it goes on that neckercheif thing. Its been posted here before back around 2006 maybe but I forget. Its old.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread