cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in the past but got no solve. I cleaned it up and took better photos. It looks like it is copper, but I am not sure.

I don't know if the little holes around it means it was attached to something with little rivots, screws or nails. I don't know if the anchor is a navy thing or if the anchor was a logo for something.

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.

AADSCN02261.JPG AADSCN02267.JPG AADSCN02266.JPG AADSCN02262.JPG AADSCN02264.JPG

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah i think he was meaning more modern buckles, but casting was def. left way out.

.......I didnt leave anything out....this thing is obviously stamped,why would I mention cast?I also have a cast example of the anchor buckle sitting here.....which was made during the same period as the stamped buckles(I thought you were the pro HSD)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It is round, so by default, it must be either a Confederate Rosette, a Confederate bedroll buckle, or a modern blazer button ... 8-)

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is the common stamped two piece buckle..note this is not the proper wreath...just a pic I have at hand
anchor_zps6aa2574c.jpg

sorry about the cruddy pic....but this is the CAST example
archives315_zps0a3a6d39.jpg

Upvote 0

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry that I can't help but I'd still like to say nice find. Good luck out there and be safe!

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Im sure this item was IDed in the past. Doesnt anybody remember? I tried searching but TN searches on Google are no longer complete. The new TN apparently is not sending everything to Google. I believe it was PBK or Pleabah that made the ID years ago. All I remember is, its Navy, its something that hangs around the neck, its very old and its a nice find.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Whats the difference between a post and a forum when Im doing a search? I want to search all posts in the What Is It Forum. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Im asked to choose between the 2. Who the heck would do an advanced search on a single post? Just another stupid, useless, confusing, time consuming feature. Grrrrrrr

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Do I search single or multiple content? Unless someone can explain to me how to use the user UNfreindly advanced search, I am unable to help much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger let me ask you, are you and creskol the same person? I have noticed in your posts you two back each other up just minutes after you post something and both of you type the same?

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quit stalking,you freak!!!(it is flattering though)If we were,it would be one smart rascal!!!I am not even in the same league as him......

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
quit stalking,you freak!!!(it is flattering though)If we were,it would be one smart rascal!!!I am not even in the same league as him......

LOL .. If I knew half as much as kuger, I would be thrilled !

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Do I search single or multiple content? Unless someone can explain to me how to use the user UNfreindly advanced search, I am unable to help much.

Here you go .. not sure if it is the one you meant but it does look close. I was able to search What Is It forum for "navy neck" and this thread came up-

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/179866-navy.html

last post in the thread says:

Posted this on ARH and got my ansewer,There is a picture of it in the JULY-AUGUST- NORTH-SOUTH TRADERS civil war magazine..It is a revolutionary war naval officers neck stock.Boy just think of the history this item could tell.It is really true we have no idea what we are going to dig up next.Remember I dug this in Arkansas at a old home stead.HH

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Did you search here or Google? Great work Bramblefind.:hello2:Thanks. Maybe I just need to learn how to use the new TN.

It is a revolutionary war naval officers neck stock

Attachments

• navy neck.jpg
    navy neck.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

A man needed to wear a neckerchief or neck stock around his neck (which was worn over the collar of the shirt) to be considered properly dressed by 18th century standards. Neckerchiefs and neck stocks were the 18th century version of the modern necktie. Neck coverings were an essential part of 18th century menswear, and in most cases if either a neckerchief or neck stock were not worn in public it was considered “naked” by 18th century standards. Neckerchiefs were made of solid or printed silk, linen, or cotton and typically made of a triangle or square of fabric with rolled hemmed edges. They were folded diagonally and tied in a square knot at the neck. Neck stocks were typically white or black and made of linen, cotton, or silk. Unlike neckerchiefs, neck stocks were fastened around the neck with ties or a buckle. Unlike military neck stocks of the American Revolution, civilian neck stocks were not made of leather or horsehair.

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure is a clean corrosion free artifact on the front side there, I wonder if they made these post 18th century? or was it only used around the rev. war period? That is awesome for it to be published in North/South Trader. :occasion14:

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
That sure is a clean corrosion free artifact on the front side there, I wonder if they made these post 18th century? or was it only used around the rev. war period? That is awesome for it to be published in North/South Trader. :occasion14:
I doubt it was used post 18th century. Keep in mind its an unfouled anchor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt it was used post 18th century. Keep in mind its an unfouled anchor.

Bigcypresshunter, you haven't replied to one of my posts in a loooong time! But when you came back, you came back biggggg! Thank you so much for opening the door that lead to the information that I have been looking for on this piece! When I found this, I almost threw it in my junk pile, I thought it was a can lid! It was all gunked up and it didn't look like anything special. I am so glad it didn't end up in the garbage!

I really enjoyed reading about the history neckerchief / neck stock , thank you again and everyone else for an awesome solve!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL .. If I knew half as much as kuger, I would be thrilled !

If I knew a 10th of the stuff that either of you knew, I think that would make me a scholar! :read2:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread