Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend Jean drove up from Dixie Land and we went to one of my Civil War spots not far from where I live. The site was discovered almost 4 years ago and has been gone over by quite a few of us. It's a BIG place, so I can safely say there are parts of it that a machine has never been on. And one thing I do not do, deliberately is go there by myself and TRY to hunt it out as I really want to be able to find find stuff here five years from now. So yesterday we braved the site roadside, aluminum hell and the briars and brambles and were not disappointed. I hear this squeal and Jean has scored her first Civil War plate, an eagle breastplate. Here she is with her first ever minie ball. IMG_0271.jpg

We hunted for about 5 and a half hours then collapsed. I got my fair share of aluminum and new bullets and next to a pile of trash concrete on the side of the road got a good, deep signal. When I got down to it (about 9"") I had Jean come over to enjoy the "reveal" as I had caught a slight glimpse of big brass.

We got the last half inch off of a Georgia Frame buckle! This is my second one in 40 plus years of detecting. The other one was from Brandy Station, Virginia a few years ago.

Here is a pic of MOST of my finds from yesterday. Time to go dig. DSCN0146.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 32

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nice Civil War relic hunt Smokey. Congrats to you and your friend.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice saves Smokey!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding hunt! There is still great stuff just waiting to be found if you hunt the hard stuff and put in the time like you do. It's great to be along when a friend finds a first. Congratulations to you both.

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow smokey yet another Confederate buckle! Nice find.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice saves. How great to share a hunt with a friend who then finds her first minie ball. A lifetime memory. I really like the vest she is wearing in the pic too. I always need more pockets.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Megalodon if I had that vest I would lose everything. Today has been a lot slower. Relichound and vferrari joined in the fun. Slow going today though.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't even mention the Script I. With a Georgia Frame Buckle and a Script I your Quality vs Quantity keeper ratio was pretty good.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Megalodon if I had that vest I would lose everything. Today has been a lot slower. Relichound and vferrari joined in the fun. Slow going today though.

I use a carpenter's apron - but considering more pockets in something that won't pull my pants down. But I know what you mean - i sometimes find things in pockets that I thought were lost long ago.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, there is a Confederate Script I in the picture. It was such a busy day today I did the post very fast. I didn't show the modern .22's, larger brass casing, and tons of aluminum cans.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN0150.JPG DSCN0152.JPG Here's the Georgia frame buckle and Wayne with the hat letter "A" he got so excited about the gold coin I think he forgot to mention it. DSCN0147.JPG

Last edited:

relichound

Aug 25, 2004
Northern Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds Smokey the Cat and was nice to meet your friend Jean yesterday. I am glad you both made some awesome finds especially the Georgia frame buckle and the script I Killer button! KUDOS...Banner find in my book. And I applaud your digging ethos-sharing the site with others like Jean and me. If I never dig there again I am a very blessed digger...Until we dig again...

Wayne

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ughh! I hate my picture taken. Stupid look every time. Lol.
Had a wonderful time. Thanks Smokey. Wayne you need to refrain from eating those hot jerky sticks... hate to see a grown man in tears. Lol.

The Minnie was my first one of the day, not my first ever. I would have been happy just finding them all day. Now when I found the plates, I thought did the longest happy dance ever. Lol.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a whole bunch of fun. Nice finds all around. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
I live in an area of North Ga. and this small section is an area rich in indian artifacts. Several Clovis points and a Folsom has been found. I got a detector for Christmas and found several keeper silver coins pounds of pull tabs, which I bring home with me and take to the landfill with our garbage. Not found any civil war artifacts.. This area was patrolled by home guard thugs not willing to fight again the Great Northern Invasion. I have found several minnie balls around old homes and indian sites around creeks, plowed ground. Must travel to attempt to hunt for them, Plan to do so soon. wish me luck.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gilmerman, check the local histories, find the oldest now non existent houses you can and go for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread