Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We now have six of these scattered around the shop, the carport and the house. Why you might ask, well, I live in mid-western Arkansas and we get and have a lot of snakes. We tend to be most concerned with the copperheads and ground rattlers as there seems to be more of them. we have the bigger Timber Rattlers but they are are fewer in numbers these days. I don't live by water so the cottonmouths aren't as common at the house but they too can show up. These cost us $5 apiece at Academy Sports and are well worth it.

They give you the option of a live release or not. Because the tend to have a gap at the joints, I use wire ties to tighten the gaps up because a small snake (ground rattler) can slip out through them. I just purchased 6 more of them to give some to my father and some to my son for his house. My son has two sons, a 3 and a 5 year old and they killed thirty copperheads around the house last year. I am hoping that they will transplant the snakes they catch out into the country.

These are awesome traps, you place them where the snakes may crawl along a wall or similar places and they funnel into them. I usually block the outer edges so they won't crawl around them. Yep, you will also catch mice, shews, lizards, small toads etc. in them. Rather cheap insurance against snake bite around the house. Just make sure that you check them regularly or they can die in the sun.

Attachments

• 20190420_122422.jpg
    20190420_122422.jpg
    582.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190420_122710.jpg
    20190420_122710.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20190420_122958.jpg
    20190420_122958.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 61

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i use a 22 pistol or rifle or a 20 gauge shotgun with bird shot in it

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love snakes!

I'd set out those traps, just so I can handle them later. Non poisonous of course.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
we got to many cotton mouths at the lake to handle i have had a few try to come and get me. didn't end so well for them8-)

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSC_0513.jpg

Worm snake

DSC_0987.jpg

Copperhead

These are the only two I photographed last year. I also caught two black snakes (3ft. and 6ft.) a Racer, three ringneck snakes and a Garter snake.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
man i would of shot the copper head. how close were you when you took the pic

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice solution to your problem! :occasion14:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The beauty of these are that they work 24 7 with no maintenance other than emptying when something is in them. and yes, they catch cottonmouths as well

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , A trap that you have to manually take apart with a live venomous snake in it. Thats not very smart . Looks like a fish bait trap me. American Copper Head is generally no aggressive and bites are rarely fatal. Garden worm TP

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
man i would of shot the copper head. how close were you when you took the pic

I was within striking distance. It was a little cool that day, so I knew I could get away with it. If it was a few degree's warmer, I'd been toast. We er...dispatched him later.

I was a few inches away from the worm snake.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i don't mind grass snakes or garter snakes but copper heads. i don't think so

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i don't mind grass snakes or garter snakes but copper heads. i don't think so

I don't mind the copperheads. It it was up to me, I would have a snake grabbing device, and box him up and donate him to the local Nature Centers. My mom and dad loathe them, so they often end up in a million pieces, scattered throughout the county, lol!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was within striking distance. It was a little cool that day, so I knew I could get away with it. If it was a few degree's warmer, I'd been toast. We er...dispatched him later.

I was a few inches away from the worm snake.

Hi Agkistrodon Contortrix is a GARDEN WORM when compared to Austrelaps Superbus Both have the common name CopperHead but only one is killer. TP

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi , A trap that you have to manually take apart with a live venomous snake in it. Thats not very smart . Looks like a fish bait trap me. American Copper Head is generally no aggressive and bites are rarely fatal. Garden worm TP

Other than looking up the scientific names of snakes on the web and posting them here, you apparently know very little about Copperheads! They are the most aggressive venomous snake in North America because they are territorial unlike Rattlesnakes, Cottonmouths and Coral snakes which are just as afraid of you as you are of them. The latter three will try to get away or find a place to coil up and stand it's ground against harm. However, if you disturb a Copperhead in it's core territory, it will pursue you with no remorse. If like you, it is just passing through and trying to feed, it will likely move away from you as long as you do not approach to close to it.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here (Arkansas), the copperheads are docile and the water moccasins (cottonmouths) will flat out chase you away. I’ve seen people grab a copperhead by the tail and pop it like a whip to kill it. Not so with a cottonmouth as large as your arm and angry.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other than looking up the scientific names of snakes on the web and posting them here, you apparently know very little about Copperheads! They are the most aggressive venomous snake in North America because they are territorial unlike Rattlesnakes, Cottonmouths and Coral snakes which are just as afraid of you as you are of them. The latter three will try to get away or find a place to coil up and stand it's ground against harm. However, if you disturb a Copperhead in it's core territory, it will pursue you with no remorse. If like you, it is just passing through and trying to feed, it will likely move away from you as long as you do not approach to close to it.

Really, The CopperHead i speak of comes from the Elapid Family of Snake . Another species from this family is the Taipan and Tigersnakes , Eastern Brown Snake , Mulgia snake. These snakes make up 5 of top 10 venomous land snake in the world. TP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread