Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
do you bury them some so the opening is at ground level?

no but you can place some dirt to help guide them into it. I had a 4 year cousin get bit by a copperhead years ago and know probably 15 also bit by them here including one man last year. just take your time in releasing the snakes and wear heavy gloves..common sense stuff. around here, copperheads can end up inside the house or carports.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the object is being able to walk around at night time when they move the most. The ground rattles are the most aggressive strikers. I have watched copperheads crawl by my boots while turkey hunting and I let them go. I am too old now but used to hand catch them all except for cottonmouths, no big deal, just used a slender stick to hold the head still and picked them up behind the head. I did this as a kid for fun and as an adult to show kids what the fangs looked like and the venom dripping from them. copperheads can be strike happy as well, especially when coiled already. If I was to get bitten by a venomous snake, the copperhead is the one because the venom is the least. But I prefer not to get bitten nor do I want my small grandchildren getting bitten. In the country, little boys are frogs, toads, bugs and snakes. So we try to get them to know the bad ones at an early age. Hog nose snakes, garter snakes, green snakes, rat snakes etc could be pets quite easily and were. I can easily see city folk being scared of snakes and for good reason but it is all about respect in handling them.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Really, The CopperHead i speak of comes from the Elapid Family of Snake . Another species from this family is the Taipan and Tigersnakes , Eastern Brown Snake , Mulgia snake. These snakes make up 5 of top 10 venomous land snake in the world. TP

The Copperheads here in North America, are a completely different specie and sub-specie (i.e. Agkistrodon contortrix is a species of venomous snake endemic to Eastern North America, a member of the subfamily Crotalinae (pit vipers). The common name for this species is the Copperhead.).

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw there is a YouTube of a guaranteed snake trap. It appears to use a bicycle wheel contraption.

I see no reason to kill snakes. They startle me as well as most but there is still something interesting about them.
My wife almost stepped on a bull snake. A big one. Yelp!! No time to ID the critter before her reaction. I still like to hear her tell the story. They can look a bit like a rattler at a glance.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing a lawn mower couldnt handle I dont like snakes

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We now have six of these scattered around the shop, the carport and the house. Why you might ask, well, I live in mid-western Arkansas and we get and have a lot of snakes. We tend to be most concerned with the copperheads and ground rattlers as there seems to be more of them. we have the bigger Timber Rattlers but they are are fewer in numbers these days. I don't live by water so the cottonmouths aren't as common at the house but they too can show up. These cost us $5 apiece at Academy Sports and are well worth it.

They give you the option of a live release or not. Because the tend to have a gap at the joints, I use wire ties to tighten the gaps up because a small snake (ground rattler) can slip out through them. I just purchased 6 more of them to give some to my father and some to my son for his house. My son has two sons, a 3 and a 5 year old and they killed thirty copperheads around the house last year. I am hoping that they will transplant the snakes they catch out into the country.

These are awesome traps, you place them where the snakes may crawl along a wall or similar places and they funnel into them. I usually block the outer edges so they won't crawl around them. Yep, you will also catch mice, shews, lizards, small toads etc. in them. Rather cheap insurance against snake bite around the house. Just make sure that you check them regularly or they can die in the sun.

I use these as well. They work Great. Sometimes I find putting a few Eggs inside as bait will catch Copperheads, but they will also attract the occasional harmless Rat Snake.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hereabouts we have no dangerous snakes so they are all welcome.

One species we have here at the house that I have never seen anywhere else are ring-necked snakes. They are listed as "slightly venomous" but rarely get above 15". They eat slugs, so I welcome them around the garden. For some reason they like our attached garages; and our indoor-except-for-the-attached-and-closed-garages cats often bring one in, though in pretty sad condition as a trophy/present.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 10-12 days ago my son and I saw a large copperhead near our cars in the driveway. My son went and got the .22 single shot and dispatched it. Normally I don't mess with them unless their in the yard around the grand-kids and our pets. The snake appeared to be well over 4ft long and we just through it out into the woods.

Huntsman53 (Frank) arrived the next day for a few days visit. We told him about the long copperhead. So my son and Frank went out to measure it. It was 59 1/4" long. Just 3/4" under 5'. Not that's the biggest / longest copperhead I have ever heard of or seen. My son took some pics on his phone with the tape measure next to it. It must have been an old snake.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hereabouts we have no dangerous snakes so they are all welcome.

One species we have here at the house that I have never seen anywhere else are ring-necked snakes. They are listed as "slightly venomous" but rarely get above 15". They eat slugs, so I welcome them around the garden. For some reason they like our attached garages; and our indoor-except-for-the-attached-and-closed-garages cats often bring one in, though in pretty sad condition as a trophy/present.

the ringnecks, dark brown to black body with a light underbody and an orange ring around the neck. very common snake that we as boys played with all the time. My mother watched one a few years back that came thru the front yard in a hurry, a little bit later, a kingsnake was hot on its trail LOL. if the ringneck made it to a tight place where it could get into but the kingsnake couldn't, then it would have a chance.

Louie D

Nov 16, 2018
The Motor City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP - do you have oak trees on your property? Apparently they are big copperhead magnets during cicada season.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP - do you have oak trees on your property? Apparently they are big copperhead magnets during cicada season.

Yes, they totally love to eat the cicada and will come to them. guess they can feel their vibrations from their loud noises. I have found copperheads up in grapevines, peach trees, bushes and everything else as they go after them. Years ago at my grandfather's place, when and where a cousin was bitten, they killed closed to 30 copperheads in one week. I cut a couple open to see what they were eating for sure and they would have up to four of them inside. My grandfather had animals outside and grandchildren so he didn't cut them any slack. I simply move them to another area of the national forest miles from here. no big deal. The snakes serve an important function in nature and they are slowly disappearing.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is how they do it in some Asian country.

I like your idea much better.

But these guys might not have a Bass Pro shop close by. And I certainly question his wisdom of running around in snake country in freaking flip-flops.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread