A surprise on December 28th

phillipofnc

Dec 20, 2003
As I was digging a solid dime beep, I thought I knew exactly what I was digging. As I scooped the first plug out I dumped the dirt and decided to finished pulling the loose dirt from the hole. That is when I pulled out a 3-4 inch surprise, a red belly water moccosin. Oh yeah, the dime was in there too. A little strange to find a snake in December at three inches deep and he was very active too. Now he is dead though. Happy hunting.

Upvote 0

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It won't be the first time something like that happens. I've dug up 4 or 5 in the last couple of years... :o

long island red

Oct 15, 2006
long island
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro,Garrett Ace 250,
Ha no snake for me but i once was digging a quarter signal and came upon a frog 3 inches down. took him out and another inch down silver quarter 1943. placed the frog back into the hole and covered him up.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
always amazes me how people kill snakes just because the Human invaded the snakes space... sorry to ruffle feathers..not tryin to start a long thread about it..just giving an opinion (my personal) I'm glad ya found a Dime..was it silver? also with the snake still being that shallow I say it going to pretty warm still down there...

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not much of a Guard snake.

OP
OP
P

phillipofnc

Dec 20, 2003
I respect your opinion on me killing the snake. However, I do fish with my two young daughters at the pond where he was. For that reason if I eliminate one well that is one less snake. Me personally, I have never been a fan of a snake.

As for the dime, it was not silver. I have only ever found two silver dimes in all my years of detecting which amount to about 20 years or so.

Hope you can respect my position on this.

Attachments

• Web 1-2-10 004.jpg
    Web 1-2-10 004.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 2,408

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Is it a venomous water mocassin (cottonmouth) or just a red belly water snake ? Maybe you should post the picture in the "What Is It" forum to get a positive ID ::)

OP
OP
P

phillipofnc

Dec 20, 2003
Pretty sure it was only a red belly water snake. But they scare kids just as easy!

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
phillipofnc said:
Pretty sure it was only a red belly water snake. But they scare kids just as easy!
I didn't want to jump to conclusions since I wasn't sure if you meant it was a venomous or the non venomous kind... now that you have confirmed.. I have to say it is ridiculous to kill a snake just be cause it "scares" people.. maybe you should have just skipped the dime tone an left the snake alone.. the fact of the matter is you killed a snake for a lousy clad dime... The snake didn't do anything wrong, you did by invading HIS house.. those are the facts...

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son is a herpetologist, and I have some experience with snakes, and no, you shouldn't have killed the snake, as it was harmless and has a place in the environment. However, I don't condemn your actions because snakes are scary. Venomous snakes don't bother me either, as long as I know where they're at. Water snakes are extremely aggresive and will scare the crap out of anybody. They bite hard and try to rake back, too. Just results in a bad day all the way around, but this one probably wasn't awake enough to bite. I understand why you did it, but for your penance you should study up a little on reptiles. And do whatever to keep the snakes away from the kids!

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rando said:
The bible made him do it.
:icon_pirat:
Rando, Please tell me what "the bible" has to do with anything in this matter?
If you want to comment on the coin, do so. If you want to comment on killing the snake, do so.
If you want to comment on the bible, there is another place on this site for that comment.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's interesting when the coil vs the coil ;D No snake was harmed in making these pictures.
0522081026a.jpg

Attachments

• 0522081026c-1.jpg
    0522081026c-1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 2,006

prodrigsr

Mar 12, 2008
South Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ6a and Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You did better than me!

I was digging up a deep signal , reached in and pulled out a bunch of dog poop!! I'd rather have dug up the snake!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread