A surprise on December 28th

phillipofnc

Dec 20, 2003
As I was digging a solid dime beep, I thought I knew exactly what I was digging. As I scooped the first plug out I dumped the dirt and decided to finished pulling the loose dirt from the hole. That is when I pulled out a 3-4 inch surprise, a red belly water moccosin. Oh yeah, the dime was in there too. A little strange to find a snake in December at three inches deep and he was very active too. Now he is dead though. Happy hunting.

Upvote 0
Rando said:
The bible made him do it.
:icon_pirat:

:laughing7:

Seriously though, I think there should be a thread on conservation and metal detecting. Numerous times I have seen posts where someone saws through a massive tree root for a piece of junk. Let's face it, we kill the grass, trees, a million insects, and now Mr. snake. :'(
Sorry, I can't type anymore. I was growing fond of that snake. :'(

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Congratulations on killing the hibernating snake. There's no better way of feeling like a real man than by senselessly slaughtering a harmless animal out of ignorance.

Yeah, that's just my position.

Joe

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if a snake is venomous (thus dangerous) yep they gotta go no 2 ways about it -- if not killing them is needless and unwise even * --their actually helpful and control pest -- learn the differance and then teach your kids A from B -- to avoid needlessly killing a otherwize harmless creature out of baseless fear.

the bible qoute is "that due to the snake tricking adam /eve that hate will exist between mankind and snakes" --"you will bite his heel and he shall bruise thy head"

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rando said:
hikeinmts said:
Rando said:
The bible made him do it.
:icon_pirat:
Rando, Please tell me what "the bible" has to do with anything in this matter?
If you want to comment on the coin, do so. If you want to comment on killing the snake, do so.
If you want to comment on the bible, there is another place on this site for that comment.
::)

Wow.

Just...... wow...
(deep sigh)

Why, for Pete's sake must people FISH for something to be offended about?

Other people got it.

I was thinking the exact same thing...some people are just hardwired to look for something to offend them...go figure!

OP
OP
P

phillipofnc

Dec 20, 2003
I will tell you what, I really can not believe that this drew this reaction. I am a well educated person and I know the difference between most snakes. There have been more times than not that I let one swim past while fishing or I would just run them off. However, my first reaction was that it was venomous and to me dangerous. I grew up learning that the red belly was the same as a cottonmouth but now know this is false. Regardless, I have posted a lot on here over the years but this could be the last. Some people just need to share an opinion and not act so rude while stating it. In my opinion I did what I thought wa sok. Again my opinion. Your opinion can be different. This is the United States. Thank you to those who have supported me having an opinion and a choice in the matter. Once it is illegal I will stop doing it.

OP
OP
P

phillipofnc

Dec 20, 2003
twistidd said:
Congratulations on killing the hibernating snake. There's no better way of feeling like a real man than by senselessly slaughtering a harmless animal out of ignorance.

Joe

Joe, the next time you kill a mosquito remember he was just hungry you should have fed him and and took real good care of him. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it. To take a jab at someone being a man and to speak of ignorance, you would be better off just putting the keyboard down and not embarrass yourself any longer.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
no phillip we still like you and want you to stick around * but killing a animal thats basically harmless is a waste --like you said you thought for years (wrongly) that red bellies were dangerous but you learned better -- well teach your kids what you know --that way they too will know dangerous from non dangerous snakes -- while killing dangerous snake in a area where your kids are is both proper and right -- and even hunting animals for food is cool and ok in most folks veiw around here ---killing harmless things for basically no reason is not cool in most folk point of veiw. --

maceman66

Mar 29, 2009
SE Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody needs to get off this guys A>> and let it be, i would have probably killed the snake myself just for the fact that it scared the hell out of me and it would have been instinct to do it!! I know its winter time but shouldnt we all find something better to do that ride this guys butt?? We all have done the "wrong thing" in the past in someone elses eyes so i'm sure its not the end of the world!! Get a life and move on!!!!

OP
OP
P

phillipofnc

Dec 20, 2003
It had been years since I went out hunting that day. This site was the reason I decided to go. I like reading and learning from others but I do not enjoy being harrassed by anyone. If folks would have said well I would have let him live. My response would have been maybe I should have. But it got a little personal and almost like an attack on my character. I overreacted anyway. Let's move on and I apologize for the last few remarks.

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Holy crap. If you REALLY care that much, go buy a baby snake, raise it, and release it back into the wild to replace the tragic loss of this one. By your choice of words you seam to care that much, so I'm sure you will do the right thing. ::)

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
twistidd said:

Joe

Passive aggressive much?
Opinion is one thing but your comment was more of a personal attack.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's no one's business what you did to that frickin' snake. Good riddance. Wouldn't it have been horrible if it swam across the pond and a bass ate it? Some people are just .....well you know what I mean. M ::) nty

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone learned anything from Avatar ? ??? If you did not see it I suggest you do. :laughing7: :tongue3:

Keep @ It and HH !! ;D :D

sasekate

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Wolfforth, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites
I was metal detecting a tailing pile in winter and came across a rattler. Luckily, it was the end with the rattles!!! I quit digging and went home. I didnt care how big the nugget was he was hiding!!!

ibbasser123

Feb 9, 2005
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
1500 Garrett
I would of killed it then ate it! O know how many people did I just offend, PS I own a 1500 garrett and I just love it!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread