A Word On Ebay Junk Drawer Lots

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Just rambling. I'm good at it.

This particular installment is my reaction to those junk drawer lots you see on ebay. Why do I want to buy nearly every single one of them? I know quite well two things at this point:

A. I don't need any more stuff
B. I don't need any more stuff

Why do I feel like I need to blow a few hundred dollars on them? There is something about collecting 'things', specifically, but something else apparently about collecting 'collections' of things. Does anyone else suffer from this?

Maybe I should have been a junk store owner.

End of ramble.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't see what the benefits are of an online junk drawer either, aside from possibly one mans junk is another's treasure, an eye of the beholder deal. Now real auctions especially estate auctions, I've found some incredible things in those miscellaneous boxes of stuff that nobody other than me bids on, especially when the box is a mass of smalls.

Mike

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have bought lots of mixed radio/electronic parts very cheaply because I could ID several valuable or scare parts that I needed in them. Most of these were at swap meets though.

Shipping is too expensive these days!

I glanced at a few of these "junk drawer" lost on eBay. It really does look like they swept out the cabinets at an estate sale.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an art to these. My cousin sells them and does quite well but it's not completely honest. Kind of like a carnival chance game - not fraud, but not on the up and up either.

He puts a few things amongst the junk to lure people into thinking they really are random lots. Kind of like the various "unsearched!" Lots that are all over ebay (e.g. lots of Roman coins or stamps or jewelry or rough emeralds etc.).

I think the common term is "salted".

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
There is an art to these. My cousin sells them and does quite well but it's not completely honest. Kind of like a carnival chance game - not fraud, but not on the up and up either.

He puts a few things amongst the junk to lure people into thinking they really are random lots. Kind of like the various "unsearched!" Lots that are all over ebay (e.g. lots of Roman coins or stamps or jewelry or rough emeralds etc.).

I think the common term is "salted".
Welli guess if you want to sell junk drawers on ebay that is the way to do it…nothing wrong with that you know what they say one's man junk is another man's treasure … i think that is what they say...

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my start on ebay buying junk drawers!!! You cannot do it now, people have caught on, but when they first started I made $$$ buying them and then reselling the stuff back on ebay. Now it's all dealers moving stuff they can't sell, but back in the day you had real people throwing granddad's stuff up for auction. I made $1200 off one, I remember.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sold a junk drawer lot today . A few days ago a guy from Japan asked me if he won it " could you just send me 4 of the items , and keep the rest to resell " I said sure . There were over 20 items - he was the high bidder - $101.00 . now I can re-list the rest (after I add a few more teasers)

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to sell "Junk Drawer" lots all the time...and really, the stuff I was selling was good stuff, just things i didnt care about. Sometimes I would get Merch on a show I was working and didnt want it, or Marlboro would send me sets of darts and camping stuff I didnt care for, so it was an easy place to unload....Nowadays its MAINLY Junk with a Silver dime thrown in the mix

It just depends on what the buyer is interested in, I actually bought one once that had some military stuff in it, and I knew the seller didnt know what they were selling because the Military pieces were all Sterling and it was never mentioned in the post....Plus I was the only bidder at like 1.99 plus 2 bucks shipping

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Uh, I have a ton of junk if anyone wants it. LOL. I have one really junky lot that won't move. Mojjax, any tips on getting high bids? the most I sold one for was $40. Most of them go for $10-15, which I don't care, because it is junk out of my house and money in my pocket.

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figure, selling junk lots is like selling a tiny junk store. Myself, I just like sorting through stuff, buying a variety of things. But I know I don't need any of it.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Junk drawer lots can actually be great to buy if you have the right outlet for that type of stuff. I know that there are lots of people out there who will impulse buy odds and ends for $1- $10 as shelf decor or desk conversation pieces without a second thought, so if you have a good flea market spot, a connect at a high traffic junk shop, or an etsy store, you can actually do quite well. I know I always look for patches in junk boxes at yard sales. I usually sell them for $5-$10 a piece on etsy after buying 50 of them for $10 or so. It's no get rich quick scheme, but it's easy money.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I know I always look for patches in junk boxes at yard sales. I usually sell them for $5-$10 a piece on etsy after buying 50 of them for $10 or so. It's no get rich quick scheme, but it's easy money.

Patches ? Like sew on patches ? Hrm Lil odds and ends store I go to has a huge box of patches and pins, must be a 1000 of them in that box..now you got me thinkin' :laughing7: thanks!

BC

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0510141838.jpg

I can't sell this one. I was trying to get $17 free shipping. I guess not enough good stuff? Shipping is what is killing it though. What do you guys think about it?

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patches ? Like sew on patches ? Hrm Lil odds and ends store I go to has a huge box of patches and pins, must be a 1000 of them in that box..now you got me thinkin' :laughing7: thanks!

BC

Go for ones that people will recognize. Classic beer, farming, truck, and equipment companies are the best, but anything that is from a well known brand of any type will do. People buy them for their denim jackets and backpacks and whatnot. If it's too random no one will know what it is, and therefore no one will buy it.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1096404

I can't sell this one. I was trying to get $17 free shipping. I guess not enough good stuff? Shipping is what is killing it though. What do you guys think about it?

I'd say a better photo would help a lot, It looks like there might be some good stuff in there, but I can't tell exactly what there is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread