A work colleague went detecting with me this evening...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend from work always asks me what I find and sometimes I have the loot with me so he looks through it all. Tonight he asked if he could go with me to try out MDing so I said sure. He really is not into it but just wanted to satisfy curiosity, he went golfing with another work colleague a few weeks ago, drove the golf cart with another six pack, LOL. He showed up this evening with his dog and a six pack of beer in a cooler and carried it around the field, it was comical. I tried to get him to detect but that only lasted about 10 minutes. We had a good time for about 1.5 hours and I found 3 coins and a button, coins are all late 1800s but in poor condition, friend was not impressed. Had a beer with him before we left the field. Immediately after driving away, I get pulled over by the police, a beautiful blond that looked good in uniform LOL, for traffic control as they called it. They checked my license, registration and asked if I had been drinking, I said I had one, a wimpy American Budweiser and that set off the sobriety test, next time I'll lie. Then they couldn't get there machine to work so they call another police car. They show up, I blow into the machine and it comes back with 0.08, max allowed is 0.25, I had no worries about it. Then they said have a nice evening and I drove off, with my license. HH, Mike ;D

Upvote 0

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Sounds like a lot in one trip. Good thing your friend didn't bring more beer. Question is why were you drinking a Bud when you have all that german beer at your fingertips? :D

People either get it our they don't - the metal detecting thing. It's not about finding tons of treasure although it would be nice....

Mirage

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0.08 would get you into jail over here in the states.

Isn't .25 legally dead or pretty darn close to it?

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I mean if I went out every single time and found a bucket full of sitting Liberty's I'd get so bored....NO I MOST CERTAINLY WOULD NOT, I JUST BIT A HOLE IN MY TONGUE FOR SAYING IT BEFORE I TYPED IT! I'd love to find a whole lot of something good everyime I went out. But it has to be relative, not to sound like this is greed talking, but the fun is in finding something that stands out sometime. You want to be able to occasionally (not always) say "I found this today!" knowing that nobody else probably did. I don't live in a mding mecca like a lot of you guys, but I love this hobby more than any hobby that I've ever gotten involved in. And for where I live, I feel like I've started finding my fair(?) share. I spent hours and hours and hours studying to get my amateur radio license, then learning morse code to upgrade, and this is WAY more exciting to me than ham radio. I still like ham, and I'll always keep my license current, but mding is the one. I'm in love!!!

HH,
Ramapirate

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
Yeah mike you gotta be careful out here with those traffic control guys.. never seen a hot blonde though lol. They test everyone they pull over. If you have the AD, HK, or AF? plates, they love to pick on us americans. I think they use a differen't system over here, so .08 may not be the same? Don't quote me on that... I remember when world cup was going on, there was a bridge in Kaiserslautern that had about 10 cops on motorcycles, and 5 in cars under it just waiting for someone to get off the autobahn speeding! At least you found some coins! I hope to get out this week.. been raining :( Happy Hunting!

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Hey Mike, close call. It amazes me that some people are just not interested in detecting. Can't quite see what they don't see in it. Oh well. If everyone liked it, there would less out there for us. Keep up the great finds and posts...Lance

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad to hear the outcome Mike...Like Mirage said...Some people just don't get it,I think you're born with it.....Congrat's on the find's and be carefull....Staioned in Kaiserslautern and went to Bavaria often,nice country.HH!!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Sounds like a one of a kind experience. Your either a narural at this or your not.

I remember the first time I picked up a detector. It instantly came to me. I've been doing it ever since. You might have had to find a gold coin to impress him.

It was still cool though you took him out. Good thing you only had one beer. They have buttweiser out there lol.

HH Jer

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Gotta watch the M.D.W.I. or up north I think its referred to as m.d.ing under the influence LOL

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Anything from 1800s is a good day in my book. You were smart not to lie,if you had even a single beer Im sure she could smell it easily. I find that not drinking saves you a lot of trouble in the long run though I do enjoy a beer now and then at home or if Im not driving. I liken MD more to an addiction than a hobby, I mean some guys bang some heroine or smoke a 20 rock and they just dont get hooked in,for me it was my first hit of some Bounty Hunter the wife got me for my birthday last year... a year later and Im on my fourth detector now(exp 2) and Im a solid 2 grand into the MD people I figure I can find that in clad in about 20 years :}

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II
I guess my wife can distinguish not 0.08 but 0.00001 without any devices, would prefer to be detected by beautiful blonde though :)

Was shortly on the field, found usual buttons and coins only

HH

Sand

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"a beautiful blond that looked good in uniform LOL"
happens to me allllllllllll the time

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats Detecting with out a Cold one out in the field! We all have done it..........But a Budweiser!!! :P I would have settled for a Bass or Becks Dark or even a Carlesburg Gold! Oh yea I forgot they don't make the Gold anymore........man that was good beer! But the bottom line is , if a friend offers you a cold beer ;D I guess you have to accept it even if its a budweiser! Glad you guys had fun and the Blonde TO let you go!!! HH

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, I've hunted everything from big cities to little rat-hole villages and ain't never found no beautiful blonds.

Some guys... :o

Badger

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah they must have a different system of blood alcohol measurement, .25 is "Pickled" :o :o :o
and .08 can get you in jail.

I agree w/ the others, some people just aren't born to metal detect. You know when you pick up a detector and dig up your first rusted washer, whether you're hooked or not. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread