Ace 250 - Best Setting?

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Ive recenty have been detecting large cornfields and finding musketballs, a few buttons and a buckle or two from the revolutionary war period. The biggest problem Im having is these field are loaded with square nails and its hard to tell their signals from a musketball that will often have a simular sound. I run in the coin setting with sensitivity at max or one under. Ive tried all metal mode in hopes of finding a cannonballs but couldn't stand the constant signals. I have never used any other settings that are on the ace 250. Is their another setting that might help discriminate or do I just dig these nails till my arm falls off?

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 471
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 465
Upvote 0

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
If you are digging nails in an open field I would say that there was a building some where near there at some point. I would dig everything and go over the same area in different directions. As far as settings on the Ace250 I almost always use the jewelry setting and the sensitivity at 5 or 6 bars. I get way too many false signals if it is set on 7 or 8. If I am somewhere that has a lot of trash like foil wrappers and can slaw I seem to have to turn it down to about 3 or 4 and use the coin setting and I only dig very solid nickel signals. If you are relic hunting you are going to have to live with the nails. Good luck and HH Charlie

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I hunt the fields arroud me and use all metal. When I find a hot spot I sometimes discriminate iron and foil. Everything else I dig. Yes I dig lots of foil type crap but the small buttons may bounce arround all the way down near foil too.

Good luck, VPR

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
I hunt with an Ace250, too. Large nails seem to give off an excellent high tone from one direction, then break up if swung from 90 degrees. Try this: when you get a high tone that repeats in both directions...keep swinging while moving your body so that you gradually adjust the sweep to 90 degrees from the original direction. Unless you've got a massive chunk of iron, you should hear the signal break up.

Square nails drive me crazy, though. For some reason, possibly the mineralization in my area, they often give me a nice clear high tone from all directions. The partial ones especially. Other times, I'll see a slight blip toward ferrous, but not so much that I'd question whether to dig. As a result, I've dug several hundred of them.

Lead, at least in my experience, tends to bounce from pulltab to .25c, and is rarely a steady lock on.

MP

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
running fulll blast or very high sen can lead to lots of false signals & thus wasted time -- often with no improvement of depth as a "trade off" ---equal depth with much less falsing can often be had at 5 to 6 "power / sen " bars --- try the "custom" setting --tweak it using the elim button in or out as you choose --it is the only mode that will "remember" the way you have it set up notch wize --if you turn it on / off --all the other modes will automatically go back to their "preset mode" set ups once shut down --however the custom mode "remembers" your settings for the next time --until either lyou change em or its been out of power for awhile (dead batteries)

take a square nail -- and in "custom" mode --run i the coil over it--- while pressing the elimanate button while doing so -- till it no longer rings up * -- you have now notched out the "nail" -- now check your machine with other "desired to be found type items" to see that they still ring up however.---if so your good to go.-- if not pop in only what blocks you need to find said items -- pushing elim once takes out the "block" push again to "restore" it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread