Ace 250 experts help!

SeattleHistoryNut

Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got an Ace 250 for X-Mas and have spent about 8 hours out hunting in two different places that I know for sure are early 20th century, one of which was an old Junior high school from 1932 that had been demolished. I realize i am new at this, and there is always a learning curve, but LITERALLY all I have dug besides iron junk are NAILS! I feel like I should have at least dug some clad coins by now?? I am operating my 250 on coin mode with the sensitivity not at full but with two bars not shaded. Any tips or pointers from you 250 users out there?? I want so bad to pull out my first silver! SOO BAD!
-SHN

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
switch to all metal mode... Then learn the machine, it will take a little time, but worth it in the long run..

Drop different coins on the floor and get to know their tones is a good starting point :thumbsup:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
That's still too high for your sensitivity, try it with just 4 bars shaded in. The more trash there is in the ground the lower you want to set it. You will still dig a lot of nails but you should start finding coins too (if there are any there). Good luck,

Charlie

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gauranteed silver: Look for a lot where they took the topsoil off. I believe EPA requires it at new construction sites. Now you are about 5/6 inches DEEPER than clad! I hunted such a site KK and Howard. Milwaukee, WI a few years ago. One clad penny about 28 wheates, 5 Mercs and a Rosie and a quarter. That's running total over a summer. Someone told me it was a Carney site in years past. With an Ace 250! Search the archives for the post. (correction... ace and Garrett gta500) TTC

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ACE 250 and my suggestion is to use custom mode, eliminating everything to the left of a penny. You will miss gold, but you should also miss the major trash. Nickels will be missed, but so will most can slaw. If you are still picking up some trash, delete penny. Older pennies come up as dimes many times. Hope that helps! The most important thing is where you hunt and that seems to be no problem. You might also practice on tot lots where you can find a lot of clad and some jewelry. I actually found an Indian Head penny and a Flying Eagle penny in one, so you never know! Good luck!

stilldiggin65

Nov 21, 2009
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will learn how to use the ace 250 it will take a bit but well worth it. I set my sensitivity at 3 bars no more . The ace loves silver and gold. You won't be disappointed with it. I have a lot of luck using the ace with the 11 inch coil, I've been using the ace for 3 years now. I use the custom mode and I only discriminate from the other side of the nickel . Meaning only the first 3 notches I discriminate . I use the nickel and everything else when detecting. Do some testing with clad and some silver coins and a silver ring and a gold ring and learn the different tones.The last silver chain I dug came up as a nickel.the last gold ring I dug came up as a pull tab . The ace 250 will hit your targets great up to 6 inches no problem .if you are looking for older coins set the sensitivity a couple of notches higher that will increase the depth for you.the more you use your machine the better you will get.Thanks

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
www.youtube.com Just enter Ace250 videos & you will learn real quick what you are missing! You have a very good little machine there once you learn what its telling yah!

OP
OP
S

SeattleHistoryNut

Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
stilldiggin65 said:
You will learn how to use the ace 250 it will take a bit but well worth it. I set my sensitivity at 3 bars no more . The ace loves silver and gold. You won't be disappointed with it. I have a lot of luck using the ace with the 11 inch coil, I've been using the ace for 3 years now. I use the custom mode and I only discriminate from the other side of the nickel . Meaning only the first 3 notches I discriminate . I use the nickel and everything else when detecting. Do some testing with clad and some silver coins and a silver ring and a gold ring and learn the different tones.The last silver chain I dug came up as a nickel.the last gold ring I dug came up as a pull tab . The ace 250 will hit your targets great up to 6 inches no problem .if you are looking for older coins set the sensitivity a couple of notches higher that will increase the depth for you.the more you use your machine the better you will get.Thanks
My goal is to try and dig Mercury dimes and Rosie's etc. if i lower the sensitivity will it miss the smaller silver at 4-6 inches? And won't most silver be at that depth or deeper?
-SHN

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found silver coins as well as silver rings at 2-4 inches. It doesn't have to be real deep, although I am sure there are some I have missed. Have definitely found more silver rings than coins.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Part of the problem is public schoolyards & city parks have been heavily detected at least since the '70s. And most of these places have renovations every 10 or 20 years where dirt gets pushed around or taken away & new grass put in.

Possibly the best way to tell if an area has fill dirt is to look at trees that should have roots going way out. If they're on top of the ground, that's good. But if long root type trees show no roots, almost certainly fill dirt has been added.

The Ace 250 in my experience will false if scrubbed on ground with sensitivity above 4. You can check the air tests at various sensitivities. The air test is usually the maximum in good ground & mineralized ground will make it harder to go that deep.

I had I think 5 Ace 250s. All would not properly ID a dime beyond 4" in ground with stock coil, or 5" with 10x14 Detech Excelerator coil. With my AT Pro I got a dime down 7" that gave correct visual & tone IDs. It was still just clad, but in a '70s hard dirt park that's been detected hundreds of times, so was probably missed for 20-30 years.

Places like Woodland Park & Volunteer Park, because they are big & 1800s, have probably been detected the most. Smaller Seattle parks & parks or schoolyards in suburbs just old enough to have silver, might produce better results.

I'm in a new suburb, but got 3 silver coins in a 1964 park & 11 silver coins in a 1963 park. 2.5"-4.5" deep. Best wishes, George (MN)

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SeattleHistoryNut said:
stilldiggin65 said:
My goal is to try and dig Mercury dimes and Rosie's etc. if i lower the sensitivity will it miss the smaller silver at 4-6 inches? And won't most silver be at that depth or deeper?
-SHN
I work in jewelery mode with sensitivity @ 4-5 & have dug dimes at 6 inches

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread