wswhiting

Nov 30, 2013
Rogue River, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I'm new here and considering purchasing a metal detector. I'm retired and looking for a hobby. I plan on just doing coin hunting for now and see how things develop. The units are a little more than I anticipated (considering $600) and my question is can you pay for the device over a 2-3 year period. I know this depends on how much time I spend hunting and what I find, but in order to convince the wife that the purchase is justified, I need some ammunition or maybe encouragement? Thanks!

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has an opinion of what is best. But.... It is best in THEIR opinion. What you need to do, is select one which meets your needs!

It is always best to go to a dealer and look at what they have. While you really can't go wrong with an entry level machine like a Fisher F2, or Garrett Ace350, you might want a Fisher F70 or Garrett AT Pro better once you see one.

If you can't go to a dealer, look at KellyCo and use their compare function which lets to compare just about model agains another or others.

Lastly, determine just how much you want to spend. Spending $1,000 vs. $500 won't necessarily give you twice as much power, depth, ease of use, or any other attribute. Hence the suggestion to go to a dealer.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't say where you're from, but some areas have heavily mineralized soil and in those cases you'll want a machine with ground balance capability. It is not an easy task for many to pay themselves back with found money or jewelry, but depending on your location, perseverance and luck it can be done. There are also a lot of used detectors on craigslist and ebay, some with warranty remaining. Three out of my four detectors were bought used, and they all work just fine. A lot of folks get a new detector and then discover they really don't have the patience to learn them or the time to use them and they sell them with little use on them.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I'm new here and considering purchasing a metal detector. I'm retired and looking for a hobby. I plan on just doing coin hunting for now and see how things develop. The units are a little more than I anticipated (considering $600) and my question is can you pay for the device over a 2-3 year period. I know this depends on how much time I spend hunting and what I find, but in order to convince the wife that the purchase is justified, I need some ammunition or maybe encouragement? Thanks!

Here is what i have learned after just picking up this hobby 3 weeks ago. Your arm get very tired after 3 or 4 hours of swinging and digging 2 days in a row. Going to push it as it is 46 today and go out a third day. I am 49 and no longer do manual labor so arms are not the strongest but holding and swinging 3lb does give you workout. So consider the weight of the machine if you do not have well developed arms.

There is a LOT of junk in the ground especially if you are going to hunt local community parks. Read up on the regulations in the locations you are planning to hunt. You did not say if you were going to do beach huts as that is another can of worms and a different MD may be needed to do wet sand than if you are only doing land hunting.

You will be bending and digging a lot so if you have bad knees this is something to consider.

You will spend a lot of time learning the metal detector and what it is saying. This sound funny but they are not perfect. Like any hobby it is more than the tools.. a really good $2000 table saw does not allow you to build a beautiful cabinet, it makes it easier.. as high end golf clubs don't allow you to shoot a perfect game..

Did i mention your arm will get tired..

The accessories that are required I.E. Digging tools/sand scoops, pinpointer, head phones, bag etc need to be included if budget is a real issue.

After trying out 4 different parks and I guess about 16-18 hours, I have found about $4 and a bent up silver ring worth about $3, oh and a big bag of bottle caps, foil, pull tabs and other trash. My MD was $399 and assorted accessories about $75.. Not really expecting to get pay back, just time outside having fun diggin in the dirt!

PlayingInTheDirt

Nov 17, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Nokta Fors Relic, Sunray X-1 Probe, Garrett Pro Pointer, Coiltek Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, This is just my opinion & this is what I started with so I am just giving my .02 worth.

First YES you can make your money back with the detector of your choice & yes it does depend on what you put into the time, hunt & place.

Now as far as just hunting coins well they are several machines out there that you can choose from but this is just what I have experience with & my comment to your questions.

I think you should go with a Garrett Ace 250 great machine clad coin magnet & if your wanting to make your money back at schools & parks then my opinion you wont beat the little ace.

Buy you a good pinpointer don't fool with cheap ones buy you a garrett pro pointer, minelab pro or a deepseeker they all are great pointers & a must have so get one.

The fisher f2 is a nice machine for the money & I like the minelabs 305, 505 but I think from the sound of what your asking your just wanting to test the water & see if this is really for you so If it was me I would go with Ace, Fisher or something in that price range don't go over your head to start out.

These two items will get you what you need to get out there & experience the world of metal detecting besides something to dig with knife, small shovel something of that sort.

Anyway like I said just my .02 worth there are plenty of opinions so you go with what fits your budget & suits you best.

If you have any other questions please ask us on here if I don't no I am sure someone on here does.

Welcome To Tnet & Good Luck :thumbsup:

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
all my machines have paid for themselves in 1 year or less...
yep your arm is going to get tired, your knees are going to get sore....but when you pull that 18k ring out of the ground/sand they heel themselves!!!
always fill your holes and you will have many years of trouble free hunting...
good luck and have fun
Bob

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
First Welcome from N. Mississippi.
As for as equipment these guys have put it pretty plainly. But to throw in my $.02, some detector stores and web sites will throw in a bunch of Stuff to make the purchase a little larger then later on when you know better, it's just stuff. There are web sites that will sell just the detector if new is what you want. I have dealt with one in Ma. that is glad to help you out. You can get digging tools anywhere. If you like the sport you can progress later in that stuff. By my advice is to not buy something that makes you feel like you have got to go out to pay for it. That will be no fun. Also, take your Bride with you some. She might like it too.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The first ring you find Her,(that is where they all end up anyway),you won't need to convience Her.

In the mean time.hmmmmmm!

Welcome from the NE!

God Bless

Chris

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do find a nice jewelry item your wife may lay claim to it, it's happened! This angle may help you- Considering you will be doing a Lot of walking and bending, metal detecting is good for your health! Your out in the fresh air getting exercise! Who knows maybe your wife will want a detector for herself! HH! Best of luck.

OP
OP
wswhiting

wswhiting

Nov 30, 2013
Rogue River, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your advice! I have decided on the Garrett AT Pro. I got a pointer, bag, digging tool and headphones. As far as my health is concerned, I'm 64 but I run regularly and broke a course record in a 50K for the old farts 60-64. So thank God for that.

I've already starting pitching the wife on the hobby. She's not a cold weather person but loves finding money on the streets. We found over $30 last year on the streets and that's stuff lying on top of the ground. Can't wait to see what's hidden underneath! My purchase of $871 shocked her a bit, but she was smiling when she saw the credit card charge. Whew!

On my run this morning I scouted out a few areas to hunt. I'll keep you posted!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all your advice! I have decided on the Garrett AT Pro. I got a pointer, bag, digging tool and headphones. As far as my health is concerned, I'm 64 but I run regularly and broke a course record in a 50K for the old farts 60-64. So thank God for that.

I've already starting pitching the wife on the hobby. She's not a cold weather person but loves finding money on the streets. We found over $30 last year on the streets and that's stuff lying on top of the ground. Can't wait to see what's hidden underneath! My purchase of $871 shocked her a bit, but she was smiling when she saw the credit card charge. Whew!

For us old guys,

Good Exercise!!

Plus the fact the Treasure is waiting to be found.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
This is not just economic. I spend hundreds of hours each year on a major genealogical project in my wife's Mexican family. She sometimes complains I spend so much time at it. Her best friend reminds her that I could well be spending that time on the local women, and she stops complaining. Heh, heh.

Just so you could be spending that money on booze. No, this is not an issue IMO.

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi! You've already gotten good advice. Mine would be that at first all the noises and setting options and all may seem overwhelming. My mom and I went in on a Bounty Hunter a couple years ago to start with and it took 3 weeks to a month to get used to it even though it had very basic options. And last year I upgraded to a Teknetics and it took another month to get used to it. At first it may seem impossible to figure out what's going on, but persevere!

Plus I recommend doing some tests with various denomination coins and gold/silver jewelry you have, to see what numbers show up, plus the pitch and strength of the tones.

As for selling your wife on it, the Bounty Hunter cost us $179 and I found two plain wedding bands I sold for $400 with it. And mom found two herself that she sold for $420! (p.s. if you want to sell that any you find, sell them to a refinery which will give you close to 100% spot value). My big find with the $279 teknetics is the dime in my avatar which is in very good condition. Need to get it graded but may be worth $200-600 (which I almost certainly won't sell)! Plus of course we've also found dozens of other rings and thousands of coins and about 50 matchbox cars and 20,000 pull tabs lol. Speaking of pull tabs, don't worry if you keep finding them. Gold reports as nickel/pull tab/foil, so finding pull tabs means you're at least on track to finding any gold if it's there.

And--wait, by 50K do you mean 50 kilometers??!! I couldn't run that in a year! :weee:

Happy hunting!

OP
OP
wswhiting

wswhiting

Nov 30, 2013
Rogue River, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Heepiepow. That was encouraging about the pull tabs. :icon_thumleft: Yes, 50 kilometers. The Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run almost killed me though. But I do know about perseverance!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread