advice/tips/tricks requested please

vegalyrae

Oct 26, 2012
south shore ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i normally hunt fossils on grades and rock slides and have very little experience in fields....mainly just walking through them and hoping for the best. Friday I will be going out on a hunt to the scioto river bottoms near the fuert hill site, VERY excited might I add. :headbang: it is a large plot of farmland that floods every winter with the scioto river and ohio river spilling into the lowlands.

however...I havent been very successful in finding points thus far, in fact, i have yet to find one, EVER, even broken. Now i have found an axe but to be honest that thing was HUGE and impossible to miss. lol

my question is this...what advice you would give to a beginner who is looking for MUCH smaller artifacts? it has been raining for days (remnants of sandy) here and this particular area was plowed about 3 weeks ago before the rain hit. (not sure if that helps any) I knew it's going to be very very muddy. what kind of tools should i bring with me, what should i be keeping my eyes out for? ect

any help would be greatly appreciated!!:laughing7:

Upvote 0

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
You know, my Granddaddy gave me the best tip any one could ever give. I have posted it once before, but felt this to be a great opportunity to repeat it, for the new members. He told me " you'll never find sh.. Looking up." I go by that , and it has helped me throughout life in more ways than one. Just remember that. Treasure is every where. Never let your guard down. Also, no one likes a person who's nose is stuck up in the air. I know it's a funny quote, it is supposed to be. Who said humor can't be the purest form of the truth??

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a lot of reading and nice ax by the way. Still looking for mine as in grooved. This is what I do when I first go to a new spot. I stand in the middle of it and look in all directions. I look for differences in the land. I look for land levels, water, possible hunting grounds and maybe planting areas depending on the periods that are in the area. After I determine this I then look for flakes or if its a field I look for brokes. Hopefully you dont find too many different colors of stone. The last time I went out I found 9 different colors! Dang now I have to go slow. If you only find 2 or 3 you can usually move and scan faster if there is a lot of land to cover. If it is near water then I go to higher ground after I do a quick view of the water access. Then if it is possible I drive slow on the edges and look out the window till I find an area with bits of rock. When I find those spots I mark them and move on to the next and do the same. When I have completed the field I then get out and connect the dots so I can see where the camp would of been and the size of it. Then the hunt is on! Thats how I do it, rock

biggoldy

Greenie
Oct 27, 2012
If there is shoreline with surroundings that could be shelter place maybe they could have camped. Sandy beaches usually turn up points. Also look for rocks that look foreign to the area. If u start finding chippings that's a good sign they camped there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread