after all the yrs of teckin, ive never been asked this.....

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: after all the yrs of teckin, i've never been asked this.....

First of all I would ask if they new what the capsule was made of.
And if they new how large it was.
And go into pro mode and use a larger coil if you have one. And listen for a large iron hit or null .
You should not have much trouble finding something like that as most are of a good size .

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Usually time capsules are put into cornerstones of buildings. And if so, the problem becomes immediately apparent, that your machine would simply hear all the other metal in the sides of the building (rebar, wires, pipes, etc....) As most buildings are riddled with metal, in some form or fashion within the walls.

But if, as you say, it's underground "by a flagpole", then I would wonder if it might be buried directly beneath the flag-pole? In which case you'd have to ask yourself what the flag-pole is make of, at the base point where it enters the ground. Because if that's a metal flag pole (or even a concrete base, yet metal unseen inside the concrete block), then you won't be able to get within a foot of that, lest the flag base merely set your machine off.

All you can do is simply wander around 360* around the base of the flag-pole, and check (odds are, it wasn't buried far from the pole, d/t they naturally wanted a mental marker of where it was, but as I say, it could be utterly underneath it though, too).

If the area is littered with small cr*p (tabs, foil, nails, etc....) you can go with a 2-box unit. Those will only find soda can objects and larger. The perfect "discriminator" to only go after large objects, and not even hear the other stuff :) But a 2-box detector is not going to be able to get even remotely close to a metal flag pole though, as it can probably detect such a monstorous metal item from several feet away (not sure how much to the SIDES a 2-box unit will start to pick up, verses directly underneath it, but I'm assuming that it too, just like a standard machine, can sense on the sides to a certain degree too).

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The only time capsule I have had experience with, was in school, and they used a metal weather sealed box. It was actually near a flagpole, or monument if I remember, about 6 feet in front of it, and in a hole, that was actually a concrete box, with a lid. once the lid was on, and they buried it, I would say the lid was no more than 8 inches in the ground, but the box itself would have been another 6 to 8 inches beyond that.

So the box itself was pretty deep. 8 inches of ground, and 8 more inches of air. but you just never know.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Several years ago....My aunt who lives in Ga. asked me to find a time capsule she buried on her property. She was living in a mobile home while her house was being built. I searched for two days and never did find it. It would have helped if she would have buried it using some type of reference points to find it at a later date.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Right on advice. I will add do some research and see if anybody or local media was around and took a picture the day it was buried. A long shot, but you might get lucky.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Most 2 Boxes will pick up the metal flag pole at app. 12'. That is head on or to the side. The signal will be almost full scale from 12' to actual contact. An object in the ground would have a short taper on of signal and a short taper off of signal. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions