🥇 BANNER Amazing Coin Spill, Find of a lifetime for me!

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been really busy lately doing research for around here and hitting local sites whenever the temp goes above 40.. so I missed this when posted. OMGosh! I'm just like everyone else here, I'm sure. I kept pausing it and jumping up from the video going "Oh my Gosh!" "That's Crazy" and things like that. I kept running in and telling my wife, she'd smile, like you do for a person who you just want to humor, "That's nice, Dear."
and I'm like "Yes, but don't you understand? Not one half, not two, three!! and then Gold!" and I kept raising the reports.
Her last reply to me was, "Are you ready for dinner yet?"
AAAaaaaaarrrgrhh!
"No, I'm getting on a plane and flying to California!"

I'm not telling you all what a great find it was, you know that, I do wish that everyone could have found something..
That was a classic, wonderful set of finds, and thanks for filming it for the rest of us.. Very encouraging.
Keep on, sounds like you have a great area, you're not done yet!

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark congratulations on an epic find of a lifetime, getting those Eagles out of hibernation and the Banner as icing on the top!!!!!!

Congratulations also to Andrew!!!

Kudos to Ron for his great videography!!

A question, how were these coins cleaned

Last edited:

aliensr

Sep 9, 2006
All the coins are minted in SF. Thank you for all the positive comments everyone, I know I don't post much, but it really is great to see the feedback. Its a once in a lifetime find and promise we will get pics up soon.

too bad your site wasn't closer to Carson City.....awesome regardless....

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that video about made me pee my pants. wow how exciting. can't congratulate you guys enough holy-cow.jpg

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely fantastic cache, Mark! Congratulations! If you are interested in checking out a 49er site on the Isthmus of Panama someday, send me a message.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A week after this hunt at a whole seperate location I had another find of a lifetime. Stay tuned and I will post it in a few days.

Considering the wonderfully high-bar set for your definition of a "find of a lifetime", I seriously can't imagine what other :coins: treasures :coins: you've found. I'm sure that I'm not alone in saying that the suspense is darn near torture!

Looking forward to seeing it when you feel it's time to share. Congrats again! :thumbsup:

imagearhead

Sep 15, 2012
Cincinnati OHIO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250. 6.5x9 coil
Bounty Hunters Quick Silver2
Bose, over the ear noise reduction and volume control headphones wireless.
Garrett propointer.. I love the new one.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the rest of these replies.... Absolutely speechless is pretty much the only fitting response. I'm so very happy for them and I completely agree with the statement made in the video regarding RESEARCH. It is my opinion that well over 90% of all great finds IS due to very good research. Either way, I'm totally jealous and hope that we will continue to see more epic finds from these gentlemen in the future.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My friggin heart was pounding watching that video- I can only imagine what it would've been like being there! Congrats to all of you!! Simply amazing!!

-- Jeff --

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
AS said by many before CONGRATS ON TWO AWESOME FINDS and for making the BANNER :occasion14:. Also the video was AWESOME !!! Thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

tracey17

Dec 26, 2014
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!!! What a GREAT FIND!!!! Good for you guys!!!! I'm gonna find something great too one day!!!! :thumbsup:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no words at all. Unbelievable. Best of Treasurenet all the way. Definitely scattered cache. Find someone to plow that ground up for you and you WILL find more coins in that spot!! Pay the owner to plow it up, trust me you'll find more!

-Buck
Yeah, this could be the tip of the iceberg...there could be a whole cache in one deeper hole...these coins could have been pulled up and scattered somehow...you never know.

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, great video something to keep the rest of us digging.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A HUGE congrats to you as well as your buddies on a hunt of a lifetime! It's hunts like that, that keep us going! Bet it was hard to fall asleep that night.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMAZING FINDS!!!

OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark congratulations on an epic find of a lifetime, getting those Eagles out of hibernation and the Banner as icing on the top!!!!!!

Congratulations also to Andrew!!!

Kudos to Ron for his great videography!!

A question, how were these coins cleaned

Hello and Thank You from all of us!

We actually did tons of research about conservation of dug, gold coins before we even ever attempted it. We even filmed the entire process and might make a video out of it sometime soon to post in the cleaning and preservation section. But the key obviously with gold coins is not to let anything rub against the metal whatsoever because the surface hardness of gold coins is so susceptible to micro abrasions from even the softest cloth. The first order of business was soaking them for a couple days, then using a waterpik to remove all surface dirt. The short answer to your question "How were they cleaned" is . . . very carefully. But we did take the time to do it right. My biggest recommendation to anyone digging up a gold coin from soil, is to resist the temptation to see a date, even though we used our tongues and spit to reveal the dates, that could have easily scratched the surface. Hope to make that video showing our whole process someday soon.

Thanks again!

Mark

Last edited:
OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering the wonderfully high-bar set for your definition of a "find of a lifetime", I seriously can't imagine what other :coins: treasures :coins: you've found. I'm sure that I'm not alone in saying that the suspense is darn near torture!

Looking forward to seeing it when you feel it's time to share. Congrats again! :thumbsup:

Yes, there are rules here at T-Net about banner posts, no one person can be on the banner twice at any time, which I think is a great and fair rule. The find I made at a separate site a week later will be somewhat cheapened by this find but on it's own would have definitely been the find of a lifetime for 99% of us detectorists and I will post it but it can't be a candidate for another banner. The craziest thing about it is, this second find of a lifetime happened at the second site we checked on our map!! We still have not got to the other 2 sites we have to check and now we have recent permission for a site adjacent to where these coins were all found. So here's hoping that it was a broken saddlebag on a trail dropping coins along the way!!! Sorry for the suspense, will get a new post up next weekend.

HH, Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread