🥇 BANNER Amazing Coin Spill, Find of a lifetime for me!

OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW!! I'm going to need a snorkel or scuba gear to survive here with all the drool spilling out of my mouth! That is just incredible, and they are so so gorgeous. And very well earned with the research and effort to get permission. Congrats!!

oddrod

Oct 31, 2012
Derby KS
Detector(s) used
Brother Bobs Tesoro Deleon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome dig, finds and video. This is why we do what we do. History, held in your hand. Banner for sure.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and Thank You from all of us!

We actually did tons of research about conservation of dug, gold coins before we even ever attempted it. We even filmed the entire process and might make a video out of it sometime soon to post in the cleaning and preservation section. But the key obviously with gold coins is not to let anything rub against the metal whatsoever because the surface hardness of gold coins is so susceptible to micro abrasions from even the softest cloth. The first order of business was soaking them for a couple days, then using a waterpik to remove all surface dirt. The short answer to your question "How were they cleaned" is . . . very carefully. But we did take the time to do it right. My biggest recommendation to anyone digging up a gold coin from soil, is to resist the temptation to see a date, even though we used our tongues and spit to reveal the dates, that could have easily scratched the surface. Hope to make that video showing our whole process someday soon.

Thanks again!

Mark

Mark,

I'm very glad to hear the cleaning was done properly, as you know many people ruin some very nice coins trying to clean them to make them look what they think is pretty and shiny, only to destroy the coin's collectability and greatly reduces it's value!!!

A video of the process ya'll used would be a great asset to metal detectors not knowing how to clean coins properly to avoid damaging them, IMHO!

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing the video I foolishly thought I could skip through to the good parts, until of course I realized that it was cut down to just the good parts! Knowing there was the $20s found I was curious to see how that played out, and certainly was not disappointed... and even the 2nd and 3rd were just as exciting. I wonder how high the number would have to be before you got used to digging those.... I would guess fairly high. What might be just as rare as the cache itself is getting it all on video, and what a great way to remember it. You did use the right word.... not great, not awesome, only epic can be used to describe that one.

Silverseeker

Nov 25, 2004
Indian Wells Valley, CA
This is absolutely what we all dream of finding. Research finally paid off in a big way, and you can bet this will go down as one of Tnets best of the best. I loved the video and was glued to the screen every second of the hunt.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, what a great site! Congrats! You are inspiring me to do more research!

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
holy crap.
thats the best video i've seen on here and quite possibly anywhere.
felt like i was there with you.
congrats.
BANNER.

Looks like I got competition with my videos!!! Hahaha Like I said earlier that is truly a find of a lifetime. Even better than my cache. (I am not complaining I am forever grateful) Very nice I also believe this should go on the best of treasurenet!!!! Amazing!!!
Jolteon

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
!!! indeed!!! tis what it's all about-- I was just as thrilled to be there with the vid you posted!! My blood boiled and heart raced with every target you guys turned up!!! so, don't stop there! get 'em all dug and post the vids!! thanks, ♬ da Prof ♬♬!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's what dreams are made of!!!!!!!! And then some!!!!!!!!!!!
ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL FINDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MEGA CONGRATS ON MAKING BANNER!!!!!!!

Now we need a new vocabulary of words!

We are calling you guys the EPIC TRIO !

How you guys remained calm enough to get it on film I have no idea, but thank you very much for sharing the dream with all if us! Makes me want to grab my detector and head out the door!
I'm gone for a couple of days and BANNER FINDS pop up all over the board!

Now I have to go find a sound proof room to view the rest of the videos so my family doesn't think I've gone totally bonkers.....there was..uh hmm, a "little" yelling and jumping involved while watching your video....just a little! :laughing7:
:hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Big Gold there. Good job on the research and I bet we'll be seeing more great finds from you guys.

ScottC

Jun 21, 2009
In the infamous words of Ron, HOLY COW, again congratulations, your finds inspire me. Good job on the research. Excellent video.

Regards
ScottC

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:censored: The only thing that would improve your hunt, is to have it become a foursome! ME!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW!!!! I watched the whole video and was SO impressed!!!!!! It makes every single find I have ever found look like a bunch of pull tabs!!!!

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Imagining that it was me that made this great discovery; I thought what I would do next?

Keep them all?
Sell some and keep some?
Sell all of them (I'd have the video and photos for the memory).

Any idea of what you guys are going to do next?

Thanks for the advice (RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH)!

IF THIS MADE MY DAY - I CAN'T IMAGINE HOW YOU ALL FEEL!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread