American Bald Eagle

kinchafoonee

Apr 2, 2013
SoWeGa
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Little off topic but thought I would share some pics of a bad eagle I saw at a Native American festival in Daytona Beach Fla. Saturday before last.Was about 10 feet away. Can't tell from the pics, but it was huge. A magnificent bird. If you notice in two of the photos the camera caught it blinking, once with each eye. didn't know it until I downloaded the pics.

Attachments

• DSC04464.JPG
    DSC04464.JPG
    451 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC04468.JPG
    DSC04468.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC04469.JPG
    DSC04469.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC04471.JPG
    DSC04471.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC04476.JPG
    DSC04476.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC04479.JPG
    DSC04479.JPG
    443.9 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC04480.JPG
    DSC04480.JPG
    374.2 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing Kinch... wish it was soaring.

Last edited:

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if you know it or not, but they have made a huge comeback here in S.W. Georgia. I've seen them from time to time on Pinewood Road, James Pond Road, and U.S. 19 North.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you posted this today.
Just yesterday I watched two bald eagles dive bombing a much smaller osprey that was flying while holding a fish. They were screeching and diving at it making it flip over while maneuvering in mid air until it dropped the fish..then they just ran it off.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I don't know if you know it or not, but they have made a huge comeback here in S.W. Georgia. I've seen them from time to time on Pinewood Road, James Pond Road, and U.S. 19 North.

Infact GA. I hear they are no longer on the endangered species list. I see them quite frequently around the lakes here. I saw one on Buggs island over the weekend working on a nest. When the little ones hatch, I'll post pics. Every year they nest on the power line post over the water. I have been fortunate enough to see these bold creatures swoop down and pull fish from the water. I have seen them fly back to their huge nest and feed the chicks, as well. The chicks are funny, they look huge, to be so reliant on their parents. I guess a nice size comparison for the chicks would be a full grown screech owl. It's hard to get good pics of them in the wild. They are so fast and come from nowhere. Osprey are really plentiful around here. Nice post!!

OP
OP
kinchafoonee

kinchafoonee

Apr 2, 2013
SoWeGa
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I have heard of sightings, but haven't seen one myself yet.

OP
OP
kinchafoonee

kinchafoonee

Apr 2, 2013
SoWeGa
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Little off topic but thought I would share some pics of a bad eagle I saw at a Native American festival in Daytona Beach Fla. Saturday before last.Was about 10 feet away. Can't tell from the pics, but it was huge. A magnificent bird. If you notice in two of the photos the camera caught it blinking, once with each eye. didn't know it until I downloaded the pics.

Forgot to mention that in the pics with it's feathers fluffed up and wings partly spread it was pooping-LOL

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Forgot to mention that in the pics with it's feathers fluffed up and wings partly spread it was pooping-LOL

Nature calls. Lol! I hear that some of the bald eagles that are born in the wild here are caught and taken to other locations, in an attempt to spread population. They adapted well in the piedmont area of NC. and VA.

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone here is interested, google Decorah Eagle Cam, thats my home, someone put a live camera in an eagles nest near our trout hatchery and it quickly became an internet sensation, it is pretty neat, especially the new borns. I do believe it even made the NBC news??
Anyway, it was a big deal around here. We have many eagles in our valley here, we have a nest just above our stream. Just love hearing the calls. They are magnificent creatures...
BCI

OP
OP
kinchafoonee

kinchafoonee

Apr 2, 2013
SoWeGa
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If anyone here is interested, google Decorah Eagle Cam, thats my home, someone put a live camera in an eagles nest near our trout hatchery and it quickly became an internet sensation, it is pretty neat, especially the new borns. I do believe it even made the NBC news??
Anyway, it was a big deal around here. We have many eagles in our valley here, we have a nest just above our stream. Just love hearing the calls. They are magnificent creatures...
BCI

That's cool. I will have to check that out.

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Berry College in Rome, GA has an Bald Eagle's nest 100 yds from a parking lot near the entrance to the campus. They have a live cam on it.
Two juveniles from this nest have just started flying on their own. Won't be long and they will be gone.

Click on this link:

Berry College - Experience it Firsthand

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
come west....hundreds and hundreds here!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are common here as well. I always enjoy seeing them though and than you for the up close view.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BCI

i saw this one on NBC News a couple weeks ago. Just checked now and the chicks were being fed...

Humboldt Bay Eagle Cam on USTREAM: The Humboldt Bay Eagle Cam is sponsored by the Humboldt Wildlife Care Center ([url]http://www.humwild.org/), with help from a...[/URL]

http://www.times-standard.com/ci_22...-lay-first-egg-2013-season?source=most_viewed

Last edited:

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are truly a majestic bird and symbol of this country. In recent years they have become common here on the lake, esp. in the winter months.

Two or three years ago the F@W dept here constructed a large tree hutch on the local waterfowl preserveto act as a permanent nest site.
Last year there was the first successful hatching of this project, and we now have a permantent, and hopefully expanding population.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a magnificent Eagle!!!They were reintroduced to the Delaware region about 7yrs ago. Last count there were 12 along a 40 mile stretch. 6 couples. Fortunately one of the secrets of my town is the location of one of the nests on a tributary by a bridge that is a couple of streets from the center of town. They have chicks every year so the population has to be up. I'll get pictures and post them. No one outside of town knows this unless told. I use to live e a couple blocks from the nest and use to visit it weekly to see them. The great thing is the pine tree they are in looks like those you would see in Alaska or California. The sad thing is a couple have been killed as well by negligent hunters. They found one shot it still had his brown feathers which indicated he was still young. The person was never caught. They felt it was one of the chicks from the nest in Milford. They found the eagle shot by dingmans falls......sad and angered is how I felt when I learned of it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions