Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An Afternoon Of Unexpected Finds - One's ALIVE

Hi all,

I passed by a church soccer field yesterday and had my detector in the car, so I decided to check it out for a while..I found about $6 in clad, and also came across a coin that I thought was a silver quarter (even though my detector read it as a penny-dime signal). And in a church field too! Hmmmmmm..

DOG1.jpg

DOG2.jpg

DOG3.jpg

Before I left I thought to myself, "One more quarter.." About 10 minutes later I found 2 next to each other. On my way to the truck, I was swinging the coil between the black top area and a small playground..I got a signal that turned out to be a silver ring.

DOG4.jpg

Now for the biggest shock of all..I knew I was close to a school I hadn't been to in quite a while..it didn't have much of a field, but it did have a playground. I almost didn't go because I was tired after a couple of hours at the church, but I thought maybe I could check the wood chips..

It was a good thing I went there. As I walked to the back of the school (which was not visible from anywhere in the parking lot) I went down a small grade and noticed a dog at the bottom, totally out of view in a secluded area of the field. As I got closer to it, I noticed it was tied to a backstop post with about 1 foot of leash.

As I came closer it sat up and showed its teeth, so I started talking to it and held my hand out slowly. As I did, it began to whine and then lick my hand. I untied the leash and noticed the dog was malnourished and dehydrated. I decided I had to do something, so I ended up taking it home. It was afraid to get in my truck and afraid to come out, so I had to carry her in and out. She would flinch and duck down to the floor if I held my hands up, so more than likely it had been abused. How anyone could do this to an animal I'll never know. There's better ways to get rid of a dog than leaving it for dead tied up to a post, far away from where anyone could see it.

We found out she was female of a mixed breed..she has some Lab features, but I'm not sure what other breed is in there..she's all white with short, light gold ears and a little color along her back side and tail.

We got her home, fed her and gave her some water (needless to say she ate and drank like crazy). Then I gave her a good bath (she smelled like urine) and later introduced her to my other dogs (a Dachshund and a black Lab mix). Luckily they all got along exceptionally well. I guess we'll keep her, but it looks like all my clad from now on will go to the vet rather than another guitar :D

Anyway, here's some pics of her (that's me with her in the last photo). The first one is a little disturbing (seeing how skinny she is) but the others are cute..the techs at the animal hospital could feel all of her ribs, and every vertibrae and bone in her back and pelvic area. Her teeth, ears and paws all looked good. With proper care she should be okay and gain her weight back..it may take a bit longer to get her to trust people again but we're working on it.

DOG8.jpg

DOG7.jpg

DOG6.jpg

DOG5.jpg

Hope you all had a safe and happy weekend.
Nat

Upvote 0

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: An Afternoon Of Unexpected Finds - One's ALIVE

that almost looks like an old brothal token. interesting find :thumbsup:

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Prober said:
Hey Nat, congrats on the finds & the rescue of Tasha. We live out in the country & when we moved here we had one cat...with people dropping them off & such over the years and some of them getting run over, to be replaced by another one or two that show up...as of today we have 11 cats. If anyone needs a kitten we have four really cute ones. My wife would like to reduce the size of the herd. lol

Prober ,
I understand your problem...
Ours is only slightly different. They don't get run over, the eagles get them.(or the coyotes)
they learn very young here or they don't make it.

Thom

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2

That's one nice looking dog! Probably your best find of the summer! A good, loyal friend is far better than gold and silver!

F

Felinepeachy

Just think, out of anyone else, God picked you to give that dog to. You should feel honored.

Abandoning animals is unfortunately very common. It is a very deliberate act of cruelty. One thing I love about this thread are all the positive responses from others. It warms my heart to see how many folks out there care about animals. It is easy to forget when you see so much abuse going on.

One thing is for sure, you can count on that dog being loyal to you til the day she dies. Animals know when they have been rescued and are forever grateful.

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi all,

I was checking on your finds today and saw added responses, thanks!

Felinepeachy said:
One thing is for sure, you can count on that dog being loyal to you til the day she dies. Animals know when they have been rescued and are forever grateful.

She seems to know what I did for her and follows me everywhere..even when someone else in the family calls her, she won't go (unless they bribe her with a treat :D)

Montana Jim said:
It's been a week!

How's the new addition getting along?

She's ALL puppy and wants to play all the time..she pesters the heck out of the other dogs, but later end up sleeping next to each other on the floor..she eats like there's no tomorrow..she hasn't wet the carpet in a few days :thumbsup:..sometimes howls like a wolf..she steals the frisbee from one of my dogs (Lab mix) and she gets chased..she's lightning fast and runs like a jack rabbit..she sleeps throught the night (only barks for 5-10 minutes after the lights go out. She appears to enjoy being here.

There's a hard lump under her fur behind her left ear, and we're going to have that checked out..hopefully is just a swollen gland or something that's not too serious. She'll also be spayed and chipped in a couple of weeks.

Nat

Robin

Apr 21, 2008

Yeah Natman !

Good deads always pay off.
Helping the oppressed and abused, Shes so happy now
she don't know what to do !
Got a lot of Love coming your way Bro !

LOL ! Robin

ZenAgain

Nov 2, 2007
Fort Polk LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, White's DFX, Bullseye 2

Beautiful dog. You can't BUY that kind of good karma. Good job man. :)

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II

that is so awesome that you found her! You are her hero and mine as well! :thumbsup:

All three of my dogs are rescue animals, one who was severely abused and got him over the internet. A guy took the dog from his neighbor because he left him outside and rarely gave him food and water, so at night, this guy took the dog and posted him online and I was lucky enough to live relatively close to him (about fifty miles) and drove that night to pick him up. I am glad that there are others out there who show some true compassion!

Greg

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

This is turning into one of my favorite Tnet posts.
Definately worthy of a 'best finds' or 'best of Tnet' title.
That Tasha seems like a real sweetheart, how could they have been so cruel to her? :angry5:
Thanks Natman. :thumbsup:

King-John

Jan 14, 2007
Grass Valley, Ca.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/X1 Probe, Whites 6000 XL pro, Ace 250,

My Moms very much into the animal Rescue, she finds homes for many of the types of dogs like you have found, its very unfortunate that a lot of animals, (Pets) are discarded that way. Let me tell ya if my Mom was to get hold of the Idiot that left her that why, My Mom would hang them by their Neck or By their B_ lls. Natman, this kind of human passion is what the world needs more of. My hat off to You!
My mom has Four dogs that she Rescued from certain Death, one she had a Tough time of finding home, she had slight resemblance of pit-bull, no-one wanted her, so now she is part of the family, she is the best dog ever, very loving and friendly.
Unfortunately I can't send link to her because their on Evacuation because of fires in Northern CA.

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50

I agree with DFX-SCOTT BANNER!! BANNER!! job well done

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Nat, What a heart warming story. You did a wonderful thing for that dog, I'm glad it was YOU that found her. That special dog just hit the lottery in finding you. :thumbsup:

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd

wow. 11 cats. :o we have 2... we live in the country too, but we live right near a highway where people drive like jerks... so we have lost many cats that have gotten run over... one cat that we have now was abandoned in my grandmother's yard the next town over...
Prober said:
Hey Nat, congrats on the finds & the rescue of Tasha. We live out in the country & when we moved here we had one cat...with people dropping them off & such over the years and some of them getting run over, to be replaced by another one or two that show up...as of today we have 11 cats. If anyone needs a kitten we have four really cute ones. My wife would like to reduce the size of the herd. lol

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nat,

any news on the lump on her yet? I hope she's gonna be ok.. I know you keep hearing this over and over...but you truly are a wonderful man, not many would take the time to make friends with a pup thats been abused as she was, persistance paid off and you have a friend for life.. you are tops in my book, better then any find on tnet.. finds are materialistic, but you sir, saved a life.. thank you and when you do get the chance, keep us updated with pictures,as some of the ones you did post, I swear it looks like shes smiling.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bootybay said:
Nat, any news on the lump on her yet? I hope she's gonna be ok.. I know you keep hearing this over and over...but you truly are a wonderful man, not many would take the time to make friends with a pup thats been abused as she was, persistance paid off and you have a friend for life.. you are tops in my book, better then any find on tnet.. finds are materialistic, but you sir, saved a life.. thank you and when you do get the chance, keep us updated with pictures,as some of the ones you did post, I swear it looks like shes smiling.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you, you're so nice..thanks everyone else for all the positive comments, they only gives us more incentive to give her the best home we can. I really need to thank my wife as well, if it wasn't for her working as much as she does, we wouldn't have been able to financially handle another dog..I had to cut my jobs this year because the lawn biz was getting too hard and I've had a few health issues as a result, but so far we're holding our own and everyone is well.

Her latest stats..She may have Alaskan Malamute and Australian Shepherd in her bloodline..she has a 16-inch waist..she was 26 pounds when I found her, and in 8 days she gained 3 pounds :thumbsup: Her heartworm test was negative :thumbsup: She's held all her food down :thumbsup: She has visible scar lines on her lower back legs near her feet (looks like they may have been bound or tied :angry5:) which may fade in time..she walks and runs normal and according to my observations in the yard, she's the FASTEST dog I've ever seen!

We're going to check on that big lump behind her left ear the day she gets spayed and chipped (25th) so you will be informed..anyone who wishes to check on progress with this animal feel free to email me after that date..

These were taken about 2 hours ago while she was napping.

T1.jpg

T2.jpg

Thank you again for all your support :thumbsup:
Nat

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest: