Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An Afternoon Of Unexpected Finds - One's ALIVE

Hi all,

I passed by a church soccer field yesterday and had my detector in the car, so I decided to check it out for a while..I found about $6 in clad, and also came across a coin that I thought was a silver quarter (even though my detector read it as a penny-dime signal). And in a church field too! Hmmmmmm..

DOG1.jpg

DOG2.jpg

DOG3.jpg

Before I left I thought to myself, "One more quarter.." About 10 minutes later I found 2 next to each other. On my way to the truck, I was swinging the coil between the black top area and a small playground..I got a signal that turned out to be a silver ring.

DOG4.jpg

Now for the biggest shock of all..I knew I was close to a school I hadn't been to in quite a while..it didn't have much of a field, but it did have a playground. I almost didn't go because I was tired after a couple of hours at the church, but I thought maybe I could check the wood chips..

It was a good thing I went there. As I walked to the back of the school (which was not visible from anywhere in the parking lot) I went down a small grade and noticed a dog at the bottom, totally out of view in a secluded area of the field. As I got closer to it, I noticed it was tied to a backstop post with about 1 foot of leash.

As I came closer it sat up and showed its teeth, so I started talking to it and held my hand out slowly. As I did, it began to whine and then lick my hand. I untied the leash and noticed the dog was malnourished and dehydrated. I decided I had to do something, so I ended up taking it home. It was afraid to get in my truck and afraid to come out, so I had to carry her in and out. She would flinch and duck down to the floor if I held my hands up, so more than likely it had been abused. How anyone could do this to an animal I'll never know. There's better ways to get rid of a dog than leaving it for dead tied up to a post, far away from where anyone could see it.

We found out she was female of a mixed breed..she has some Lab features, but I'm not sure what other breed is in there..she's all white with short, light gold ears and a little color along her back side and tail.

We got her home, fed her and gave her some water (needless to say she ate and drank like crazy). Then I gave her a good bath (she smelled like urine) and later introduced her to my other dogs (a Dachshund and a black Lab mix). Luckily they all got along exceptionally well. I guess we'll keep her, but it looks like all my clad from now on will go to the vet rather than another guitar :D

Anyway, here's some pics of her (that's me with her in the last photo). The first one is a little disturbing (seeing how skinny she is) but the others are cute..the techs at the animal hospital could feel all of her ribs, and every vertibrae and bone in her back and pelvic area. Her teeth, ears and paws all looked good. With proper care she should be okay and gain her weight back..it may take a bit longer to get her to trust people again but we're working on it.

DOG8.jpg

DOG7.jpg

DOG6.jpg

DOG5.jpg

Hope you all had a safe and happy weekend.
Nat

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: An Afternoon Of Unexpected Finds - One's ALIVE

Mona Lisa said:
She's smiling in her sleep, Natty! :icon_sunny:

I think you're right!
:D

Nat

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Gorgeous girl......Thanks for keeping us updated Nattie!

HH,
Moon

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great story - good on ya!
Look into her eyes it it just breaks your heart to think of what could have happened to her. Thanks for putting the humanity back into humans.

TE

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California

Natman, you done good!

To all the rest of us, if we ever run into similar circumstances where we can save the life of a dog, cat, puppy, kitten, etc., then let's do it, because we will definitely be blessed for it.

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Oh, Nat, she's a sweetheart! and so are you for bringing her home with you. :angel5:

Looks like you have a friend for life for sure. :hello2:

And a neat post from bananna - you'll never be "2nd bananaa" here - you're always the 1st bananna at TNet! :D

Nan

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is such a touching story. Nat, you do have a heart of gold. Thank you!! :-*

:wink: RR

greengorilla

Jul 6, 2008
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Nat, you did the right thing, Congrats.I bet she'll pay you back in the long run!! Seems like all the family pets we get are foundlings 2 dogs and 3 cats right now. They're worth it (if you can keep the cat off the computer keyboard). a good find doesn't always have to be gold.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

lol

I thought I was going to see a snake when I read wood chips, surprised I didn't read this post sooner

Beautiful little lady you found, probably left by some mean ____ kid,

I will pray for her lump to be nothing serious, I believe He took you there to rescue her. I also tip my hat to you sir, for your kind heart and your unselfishness.

I think she knows how blessed she is too being with you and your family. She looks very content and very much at home.

May all your finds give you the rewards this one will and if you need any helpwith your medical costs let us know, I would like to help out if needed.

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thank you all again.

Bridge End Farm said:
I will pray for her lump to be nothing serious, I believe He took you there to rescue her. I also tip my hat to you sir, for your kind heart and your unselfishness.

I think she knows how blessed she is too being with you and your family. She looks very content and very much at home.

May all your finds give you the rewards this one will and if you need any helpwith your medical costs let us know, I would like to help out if needed.

You are too kind Sir..we appreciate the offer very much. So far we've been keeping up with the costs, the beginning is always the hardest (shots, getting spayed, chipped, etc.) but that should level out soon..she does seem very content being here but she plays kinda rough, probably because she hasn't been this happy in a long time..the roughhousing is not done in a vicious manner and it's nothing we can't handle so far. She's definately a work in progress!

Nat

rcawdorswife

Aug 26, 2007

Nat!
Thank you for opening your heart to an animal in need. As a rescuer myself, it makes me so angry that people just leave animals to die.
She is beautiful and looks so content! ;D She will come around. She looks like part lab, part golden retriever.
She will bond closer to you then you can ever imagine even though she will always have emotional scars, she will not hold that grudge against you and your family!

Thnak you Thank you Thank you!
My rescued pups

Hugs
Rcw
Hillary

Attachments

• DSC00031.JPG
    DSC00031.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 186
  • StoliNLexi.JPG
    StoliNLexi.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 148

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Nat you did the right thing and it says alot about your character...thanks for the great story and pics........... Nice to know there are still alot of caring people out there..........:icon_sunny: :thumbsup:

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

When I was about 18 many years ago I was at a video store saw a German Shepard mix pup. He was bleeding from the head and very scared and skinny. When I went in the store I asked them about the dog, owner said the people behind the store had a litter and had beat all the dogs to death but this one. That was enough I talked him into getting in my truck took him home he was the best dog I ever had for 15 years.!!!!!!! So your find brough back a few good memories.

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for the added responses, and a big "THANK YOU" back to all the animal rescuers who posted their stories..I appreciate what you've done as well!

Nat

Damien12

Apr 2, 2008
Glren Allen , Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

:thumbsup: You are a prince sir> Good for you to rescue the poor animal. God will bless you for that!
Just goes to show...you never know what you may find (or save) metal detecting. I think it was supposed to happen and now you have a new friend for a long time. The dog looks really happy in your pics and may be the first time hes been decently treated. Full marks my man!!!!!

Lynn

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks all, and thank you to everyone who posted pics of their beloved pets :thumbsup:

These were taken today..the first one is me with Tasha and Tessy, my 2-year-old Lab mix. Tasha is part Samoyed and we're pretty sure she has Golden Retreiver in her.

I won't be adding to this topic anymore, but I would like to invite anyone interested in her progress to email me anytime.

Thanks again to everyone for the nice comments and encouragement. It looks like each day from now on will be a new adventure for her as well as our family.

DOGGLES.jpg

doggles2.jpg

Nat

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

ivan sails, the term dumb animal refers to their being unable to speak, as in deaf and dumb. not that they are stupid. sounds like this one tied herself up to get taken home by nat. now that is one smart and lucky dog.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread