An Article of Good Hunting Advice

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had recently lost a good site by telling some one at work about it.....It is now truly hunted out.I did not post it on a forum (For obvious reasons),Nor did I advertise it to other known detectorists....But a few guys from work showed a casual intrest,and asked where I was finding silver.....They passed on the info to their detecting friends,they went out hunting the place w/out permission of the owner,and soon I was getting a call from the property owner....The owner now watches very carefully but it is too late....The goodies are real hard to come by now,and I only occasionally ask my bud 2 hunt his place when I drop by cause it is about cleared out by the poachers.
This is also a good Idea if you have a favorite spot in a park as well....Give a little too much info on a forum,and there might be some one hunting your favorite little honey hole the next time you go out.....Give this article a read....It is by a well known detectorist that wrote the E-Trac/Explorer books,and other books.
Be aware of your pics or vids of where you made your great finds..Just F.Y.I.,Dave McEtrak
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?63,996533,996533#msg-996533

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Good article.

Just click on "Who" and see how many guests are logged into T-Net...

Some may be regular members who just aren't logged in, but I'll bet most aren't.

Those are the ones I'm worried about...

Sorry you lost your spot, Dave! :(

OP
OP
AmericanCoinHunting

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kimsdad said:
Good article.

Just click on "Who" and see how many guests are logged into T-Net...

Some may be regular members who just aren't logged in, but I'll bet most aren't.

Those are the ones I'm worried about...

Sorry you lost your spot, Dave! :(
Thanks Kimsdad, but I now just chalk it up to "knowledge learned"......Just because no one at work detects.....don't think they do not have friends or acquaintances that don't detect........Us detectorists have big ears......listening for stories,or direction to places where treasure (No matter how small) have been found.........
We in the Forums just have to watch out for those that we have shared sites with .....that may post particular info that gives the sites away.....
Detect with many,Trust Few.....is probably a good motto,especially when it comes to posting finds....H.H. Dave McErak

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Now that is shameful. I can't imagine going to a spot, on private property that someone else has secured unless I'm with that person. That's low-down detecting to be sure.

I'm always happy to share public sites only because I'm never sure I'll be able to get back to them before I move on and hopefully someone will get some goodies there, knowing I leave plenty behind....

For the reasons you mention though, any private sites I find are kept confidential.

OP
OP
AmericanCoinHunting

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Now that is shameful. I can't imagine going to a spot, on private property that someone else has secured unless I'm with that person. That's low-down detecting to be sure.

I'm always happy to share public sites only because I'm never sure I'll be able to get back to them before I move on and hopefully someone will get some goodies there, knowing I leave plenty behind....

For the reasons you mention though, any private sites I find are kept confidential.
I would have never imagined that it would happen....But it did...I would NEVER hunt a private site w/out permission,but it happens all the time....I just heard a related story from guys at work that leased land ,just for dear hunting.......They are always coming up to other hunters,asking...."who gave you permission ".....Why are you in my dear stand,followed by ..."Who gave you permission to come on this private property?"
The only difference is that detectorists don't have a 'visible' gun ....L.O.L.
There are way too many poachers out there......If you want to give away your detecting site............"Just Post your Finds on this forum,and show pics,or vids....That will give away your site.....Or you can just give the info to a co-worker L.O.L. Same-Same, Dave McEtrak

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
That's great advise, thanks Dave! I'll try to remember next time I dig a seated in mixed company to stealthily hide it away and not jump up and down screaming like a little girl. :laughing7:

Sorry, I couldn't help it.... ;D

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Good article, McEtrak. Thanks for posting it, along with your thoughts. You know, sometimes I have to remind myself that not all detectorists are as down-to-earth and cool as the regulars here, and that there in fact ARE a lot of guests who read this forum and take advantage of certain areas that may have been revealed here. We've had problems in the past with people who are too competitive, and tried to get us im trouble. I know of at least two instances of this. We have to remember that, regardless of how excited we may get about a find or finds, revealing the locations of these finds may not be in our best interests. WE do the research to find these areas, WE ask for permission if said areas are private, and WE communicate amongst each other to coordinate hunts. There are always sharks out there, absolutely willing and ready to take a bite out of someone else's area without regard for anyone but themselves.

So, yeah.

Joe

Hardrock

May 25, 2004
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, with sunray probe,Minelab SE,Eureka Gold
Hi All: Great read and true, years ago about 1975 I had permission to hunt a courthouse near me, asked the Sheriff and was granted to go. Worked it two years never running into another detector and was really "cleaning up" so to speak. One afternoon a gent comes over and asks what it was that I was doing.
I told him and we had a nice chat. He came back with camera and a notepad and asked if he could do a small article for the local weekly there. I agreed and we talked for an hour.He shot pics and such and then went on his way. About 10 days later the article came out and he sent me a couple papers to have and it was nice. I went back to the courthouse and pulled in to the spot and to my amazement there were no less than 7 guys detecting. I was deflated and the thought was nothing less than it was my fault for being so stupid as to let the article be written. I approached one guy and asked if he asked to be there and he said no,the others the same. I watched as one gent tore into the spot he was digging,retrive a coin and never filled the hole. I was not a happy camper then and went to see the sherriff and told him about the goings on,he went out to see the circus and stopped a couple of them and told them with permission only and since they were the culprits of the lawn damage he stated that they would not be welcomed back. Moral,of the story,keep it to yourself and be careful what you post and who you allow to know. Read the Sabish post. He hits it on the head. Hardrock

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
I researched the first school in the township where I lived in Michigan during the Winter and as soon as Spring hit I asked the farmer who owned the property if I could search there. He gave me permission, and for the next few weekends, that's where I'd be.

Back then, I just got my 1266 after years of using a Compass Magnum, so I was still learning how to get the most out of the Fisher. I started getting the hang of the new detector, so every time out the finds were getting better and better.

I just got my 3" coil which would work real well in between the trash and couldn't wait to get there and give it a shot.

As soon as I pulled off the gravel road I knew something was different. There were holes everywhere, and not one of them filled. What else do you expect from scumbags like that anyways. After I filled all the holes (bastards), I told the farmer what happened, thanked him, and never went back, but I sure still think about that site.

Mike

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good article. It's probably best just to post pics of your finds without any specifics on the locale. I've made it a habit to say that I've only found junk or nothing at all when approached by a curious on-looker, that way they usually lose interest and move along. The area I live in would shut things down quick if a herd of sloppy detectorist were to come in like locusts and destroy a field or the like. The saying goes that "trust is earned".
Even a close friend can unwittingly let something slip and you end up losing a site. It’s a shame because a lot of people are just trying to share their hunting experiences and wind up getting burned for their efforts.
HH
John

xxxbockxxx

May 29, 2009
west central illinois
Detector(s) used
ace 250
i am about a month into hunting and getting better at what to expect from my ace 250. i've been getting clad about 2-3 inches down. i saw that there was a guy around my area who has been finding some old coins and i sent him a pm. i just wanted to know some general information like how deep the coins were, where they rang in at and such because i was just finding clad. i was wondering if i needed a better detector to find the older coins. he never did get back to me. i guess i never thought that he was worried about me jumping into his area.

if someone were to give clues on a forum to where they are getting their good finds i would feel bad about just jumping into someone's spot especially without permission. it sounds like these people are the ones who have the rules and regulations made for. i have been doing some research with my public library's archives and plan to find areas on my own. i may recruit my wife for the job as well. she enjoys researching and looking at old pictures.

interesting article

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
<...>

I was going to post a reply, but I decided I'd just keep my thoughts a secret.

Hahaha, good article by Andy... thanks for sharing Dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread