Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An exotic tick that can kill cattle is spreading across Ohio

Pasture infestation estimated to exceed 1 million Asian longhorned ticks

https://news.osu.edu/an-exotic-tick-that-can-kill-cattle-is-spreading-across-ohio/

Asian Longhorned Tick (Haemaphysalis longicornis)

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/animal_health/alert-asian-longhorned-tick.508.pdf

s been confirmed in the following States: Arkansas,

Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland,

Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio,

Rhode Island, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Tennessee,

Virginia, and West Virginia.

"Some cattle get swarmed so fast they die of exsanguination—the ticks drain the cow’s blood so fast they die.”

The nightmarish Asian longhorned tick has invaded the U.S.—and it can reproduce without mating http://pops.ci/longhorn

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will this tick start to feed on people?
It’s been in the US for 13 years. Yes they do feed on humans (as do all ticks). Ticks are awful pests but rest assured, you are unlikely to get an infestation where all your blood gets sucked dry!

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/max, Explorer, CTX, Tesoro Tejon, and many other..BUT MY GO TO MACHINE= Equinox 600 stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An exotic tick that can kill cattle is spreading across Ohio

Pasture infestation estimated to exceed 1 million Asian longhorned ticks

https://news.osu.edu/an-exotic-tick-that-can-kill-cattle-is-spreading-across-ohio/

Asian Longhorned Tick (Haemaphysalis longicornis)

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/animal_health/alert-asian-longhorned-tick.508.pdf

s been confirmed in the following States: Arkansas,

Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland,

Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio,

Rhode Island, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Tennessee,

Virginia, and West Virginia.

"Some cattle get swarmed so fast they die of exsanguination—the ticks drain the cow’s blood so fast they die.”

The nightmarish Asian longhorned tick has invaded the U.S.—and it can reproduce without mating http://pops.ci/longhorn

3 or 5 yrs ago , up in Maine they started seeing moose that looked emaciated..so they euthanized the sickly ones to find over 70 THOUSAND ticks on each of them

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 or 5 yrs ago , up in Maine they started seeing moose that looked emaciated..so they euthanized the sickly ones to find over 70 THOUSAND ticks on each of them
I wouldn’t put it past foreign enemies or even domestic corporations to be developing strains of ticks to be used as biological weapons that could be dropped via aircraft. My conspiracy theory for the day. If you think about it..a parasite that kills its host really shouldn’t be a viable species over the long run..right?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Saw a video of moose in Manitoba. They shot it, and then burnt the carcass.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After reading this topic I'm now getting 'Ticked off'.............:laughing7::laughing9::headbang:

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sounds a little exaggerated to me. I searched and found a recent MSN article where the CDC is warning about the tick, and calling it the cattle killer. It mentions that the tick is credited with killing two cows and one bull. So three cattle out of 92 million. It just sounds like another "be very afraid to go outside" story to me.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This sounds a little exaggerated to me. I searched and found a recent MSN article where the CDC is warning about the tick, and calling it the cattle killer. It mentions that the tick is credited with killing two cows and one bull. So three cattle out of 92 million. It just sounds like another "be very afraid to go outside" story to me.
You are correct at this time and this is one reason I posted the joke about getting 'Ticked off' about the topic.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This last summer in Fl. ticks seemed unusually bad. We cancelled several dispersed camping trips in late summer. After one hike I came back with about 10 inching up my legs which really creeped me out. That was the end of that sh!t until fall/winter.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ticks carrying Lyme disease are a real PIA around here, but the one that really scares me is that Texas tick that makes you allergic to eating red meat.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They were doing a radio collar study on moose in New Brunswick and this one seems to a walking tick magnet.
Screen Shot 2023-12-28 at 8.25.08 AM 1.png

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The ticks carrying Lyme disease are a real PIA around here.
They carry more than Lyme disease it seems. My naturopath stated that the medical world hasn't identified all the different viruses, bacterias, parasites they can transmit to us humans and pets.
Blood suckers that I don't care for one bit.

"Tick-borne pathogens can be passed to humans by the bite of infected ticks. Ticks can be infected with bacteria, viruses, or parasites. Some of the most common tick-borne diseases in the United States include: Lyme disease, babesiosis, ehrlichiosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, anaplasmosis, Southern Tick-Associated Rash Illness, Tick-Borne Relapsing Fever, and tularemia. Other tick-borne diseases in the United States include: Colorado tick fever, Powassan encephalitis, and Q fever."

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They say when the weather gets cold, if the ticks can't find a host, they begin to congregate together into a giant mass for warmth. If this mass of ticks gets large enough it begins to act like a single life form known as a Tick King, with each tick taking on a specific roll within the Tick King's body.

One account from a farmer in Maine describes him seeing an entity that he mistook for a cow, but it was in fact a Tick King. Since all the ticks had previoisly absorbed the DNA of cows they were able to replicate the shape and movement of one, even able to make a mooing noise.

When the real cows in the area approached to investigate the new arrival the Tick King burst and all the cows were swarmed by millions of ticks. Becoming drained of blood in seconds they became mumified where they stood.

Satiated, the ticks regrouped from the dried up carcasses and reformed into the Tick King, only now something was different, instead of resembling a cow, it resembled a man. And that's when it began walking toward the farmer who was witnessing all this. He slammed the door, got in his car and drove away.

The next day the Federal Government quarantined and burnt the entire area with a massive wild fire. To this day they will not confirm or deny this story. It can be assumed however that wherever there is a large Federal Government presence and an unexplained wilf fire, a Tick King was most likely spotted shortly prior. Stay safe friends.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow thank you everyone for the information and links. :thumbsup::goldtrophy:

Now you can see what happens when just one person gets 'Ticked off'............LOL

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep, a couple of ticks in Ohio are really messing things up for drywashers in the gold fields.

WTF does any of this have to do with gold prospecting or drywashing? Shouldn't it be moved to the Treasure Legends thread or one of the other fantasy danger danger silliness you must fear threads?

The two natural critters that kill the most humans in the U.S. are the honeybee and deer. Ticks aren't even on the list.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep, a couple of ticks in Ohio are really messing things up for drywashers in the gold fields.

WTF does any of this have to do with gold prospecting or drywashing? Shouldn't it be moved to the Treasure Legends thread or one of the other fantasy danger danger silliness you must fear threads?

The two natural critters that kill the most humans in the U.S. are the honeybee and deer. Ticks aren't even on the list.
No one is 'Tickled' about the starting of any infestation here in the good old USA.

Some will not run into any people that have been damaged or worse by a tick wounds.
I have run into someone that will not be able to go out anymore to dry wash / prospect as that is the likely activities where that person got the ticks. Not a fantasy for some.

Just because one does not get killed by a tick wound does not mean one should take steps to minimize the exposure and treat if a tick wound happens.

Here in Oregon the months of May - July can be real bad for tick bites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread