Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They say when the weather gets cold, if the ticks can't find a host, they begin to congregate together into a giant mass for warmth. If this mass of ticks gets large enough it begins to act like a single life form known as a Tick King, with each tick taking on a specific roll within the Tick King's body.

One account from a farmer in Maine describes him seeing an entity that he mistook for a cow, but it was in fact a Tick King. Since all the ticks had previoisly absorbed the DNA of cows they were able to replicate the shape and movement of one, even able to make a mooing noise.

When the real cows in the area approached to investigate the new arrival the Tick King burst and all the cows were swarmed by millions of ticks. Becoming drained of blood in seconds they became mumified where they stood.

Satiated, the ticks regrouped from the dried up carcasses and reformed into the Tick King, only now something was different, instead of resembling a cow, it resembled a man. And that's when it began walking toward the farmer who was witnessing all this. He slammed the door, got in his car and drove away.

The next day the Federal Government quarantined and burnt the entire area with a massive wild fire. To this day they will not confirm or deny this story. It can be assumed however that wherever there is a large Federal Government presence and an unexplained wilf fire, a Tick King was most likely spotted shortly prior. Stay safe friends.
What the.....

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm assuming the "Tick King" stuff is just parody. No way that actually happens.
A small Tick King:
Polish_20231228_134500511.jpg

There will be a new TV show on History Channel called "In Search of Tick King" it will air in the time slot as "Ghost Hunters" "Hunting Big Foot" and "the Curse of the Jersey Devil" :D

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A small Tick King:
View attachment 2122676
There will be a new TV show on History Channel called "In Search of Tick King" it will air in the time slot as "Ghost Hunters" "Hunting Big Foot" and "the Curse of the Jersey Devil" :D

Sorry, I'm not buying it. That isn't a "tick king", it's tick eggs (according to this blog, where the image appears to have originated). More images of tick egg masses here.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I'm not buying it. That isn't a "tick king", it's tick eggs (according to this blog, where the image appears to have originated). More images of tick egg masses here.
I know, I was making up a story to scare people. More treasure hunting for me if others fear entering the woods. :D

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know, I was making up a story to scare people. More treasure hunting for me if others fear entering the woods. :D
Someone that has there health badly affected by one of the pathogens that ticks can carry will not be going out treasure hunting most likely. This is a general fact.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There must be some concern as there is about 500 views about this topic thread. The thread has grown from one or two people to how many now not sure the numbers.

Last edited:

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
🤦‍♂️
I figgered it had to be something like that, but IDK you guys yet. It had the redolence of an urban myth inspired by the Mimic franchise on shrooms... 🍄

1703795085126.jpeg

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just did a rough count on the number of people that have viewed this thread at about 57 different people.

Some of these people will look up some more information that could be useful. Stay tuned.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tick tubes
Tick Control Tubes (6-Count) with 5,500 sq. ft. Coverage for Yards and Wooded Lots

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Thermac...for-Yards-and-Wooded-Lots-100544512/314648570

Ticks are a primary transmitter of dangerous diseases that affect humans and animals. Developed at Harvard University School of Public Health, Thermacell Tick Control Tubes are a no-spray, 0 mess, easy way to kill deer ticks and prevent them from spreading Lyme disease and anaplasmosis to pets and family. with 6 control tubes per box, each box treats about 1/4 Acre of property per application. Tick Tubes work with nature to reduce the tick population, are environmentally friendly and have been evaluated by the EPA for safety. Apply twice a year for best results, the best time to apply is late-April and late-July before young ticks begin feeding. Place the tubes flat on the ground in brush-covered and wooded areas with a maximum distance of 10 yds. between tubes. Treatment should be in areas inhibited by ticks, position the tubes so ticks have access to the open ends. Kids are most at risk of Lyme given the time they spend playing in tick habitat.

Effective in thickets tubes placed near thickets or rotting logs within the woodlot will be more effective than those placed in more open woodland surroundings or terrains

Apply twice a year control tubes may be applied anytime between April 1 and Mid-September, but should be applied at least twice a year to combat feeding season for nymphal and larval ticks

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So now this thread topic is up to 650 views interesting.
Must be a few people out there that have experienced some ticks from time to time.
Update there are at this time 59 different people viewing this thread.

Last edited:

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must be a few people out there that have experienced some ticks from time to time.
Oh, I've had plenty. Never got sick in any way from any of them (knock on wood). I just spray my boots with insect repellent and accept any that get past it as part of the deal for being out in the weeds.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh, I've had plenty. Never got sick in any way from any of them (knock on wood). I just spray my boots with insect repellent and accept any that get past it as part of the deal for being out in the weeds.
Yep most people will have similar experience's (knock on wood) after each time.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From someone who has actually died and was revived in intensive care which took two months to get well enough to go home. I was bitten by a tick and got one of the original tick born diseases (irriculosis) (not spelled right) (related to lime disease) the end result was heart , lungs, and diaphragm damaged. This condition just slightly allows for me to do any metal detecting and for short periods at a time then a rest period. So take it from a fellow who knows very well, do your preventative prior to entering a area where these critters roam. Spray ur legs and tuck your jeans into your socks seems to do the most good. Above the waist that product called "Off" seems to be the go to med that seems to work well. A rollator with 10 inch wheels (walker with seat and wheels) is also there with me to carry part of the load. If you hear that tick season is here it is time to take serious attention and do your preventive measures.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From someone who has actually died and was revived in intensive care which took two months to get well enough to go home. I was bitten by a tick and got one of the original tick born diseases (irriculosis) (not spelled right) (related to lime disease) the end result was heart , lungs, and diaphragm damaged. This condition just slightly allows for me to do any metal detecting and for short periods at a time then a rest period. So take it from a fellow who knows very well, do your preventative prior to entering a area where these critters roam. Spray ur legs and tuck your jeans into your socks seems to do the most good. Above the waist that product called "Off" seems to be the go to med that seems to work well. A rollator with 10 inch wheels (walker with seat and wheels) is also there with me to carry part of the load. If you hear that tick season is here it is time to take serious attention and do your preventive measures.
Sorry to hear about what you went through.

Thank you for sharing as you are not the only one effected.
Below is some information as I and many others don't know that much about what can happen:

Ehrlichiosis is rarely deadly. With antibiotics, people usually improve within 24 to 48 hours. Recovery may take up to 3 weeks.

Early signs and symptoms (the first 5 days of illness) are usually mild or moderate and may include:

Fever, chills.

Severe headache.

Muscle aches.

Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite.

Confusion.

Rash (more common in children)

Unlike Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis is considered an acute infection without chronic long-term consequences. Its severity varies from person to person. Many people exposed to the disease agent exhibit no symptoms, while others suffer mild symptoms that resolve without treatment.

Without prompt treatment, ehrlichiosis and anaplasmosis can have serious effects on an otherwise healthy adult or child. People with weakened immune systems are at a higher risk of more-serious and life-threatening complications. Complications of an untreated infection may include: Kidney failure.Oct 5, 2022

What happens if ehrlichiosis goes untreated?

If HME is left untreated, life-threatening symptoms, such as kidney failure and respiratory insufficiency, may develop in some cases. Human Monocytic Ehrlichiosis is caused by the bacteria Ehrlichia chaffeensis (or E. chaffeensis).Apr 7, 2009

Ehrlichiosis has three possible phases of disease: an 'acute' phase or early signs of disease, a 'subclinical phase' where there are no obvious signs of disease, and a 'chronic' or long-term stage. The severity of the disease varies considerably with the phase.Mar 1, 2023

What are the two types of ehrlichiosis?

Two types of human ehrlichiosis were found in the U.S. in the late 1980s, human monocytic ehrlichiosis (HME) and human granulocytic ehrlichiosis (HGE). HME is now referred to as ehrlichiosis. One of three Ehrlichia species, E. chaffeensis, causes HME.

Is there a test for ehrlichiosis?

Serology. The reference standard serologic test for diagnosis of ehrlichiosis is the indirect immunofluorescence antibody (IFA) assay for immunoglobulin G (IgG).

Does ehrlichiosis cause joint pain?

What are the symptoms of Anaplasmosis and Ehrlichiosis? The symptoms are the same for both and may include fever, muscle aches, weakness, and headache. Patients may also experience confusion, nausea (the feeling of sickness in the stomach), vomiting, and joint pain.

How do you get rid of ehrlichiosis?

Doxycycline is the treatment of choice for ehrlichiosis and all other tickborne rickettsial diseases. Presumptive treatment with doxycycline is recommended in patients of all ages, including children <8 years.Jan 17, 2019

What is the sister of Lyme disease?

Babesiosis is transmitted by the blacklegged tick, the same tick that transmits Lyme disease. If you are bitten by a tick and develop symptoms of Lyme disease, you will also probably get tested for babesiosis. Any primary care doctor can order tests for this disease.

Can ehrlichiosis cause heart problems?

Cardiac involvement in myocarditis induced by Human Monocytic Ehrlichiosis infection is an incredibly uncommon complication with sparsely available literature. Also, this case highlights the importance of early recognition as a first step in management.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Tick Control Tubes (6-Count) with 5,500 sq. ft. Coverage for Yards and Wooded Lots

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Thermac...for-Yards-and-Wooded-Lots-100544512/314648570

Ticks are a primary transmitter of dangerous diseases that affect humans and animals. Developed at Harvard University School of Public Health, Thermacell Tick Control Tubes are a no-spray, 0 mess, easy way to kill deer ticks and prevent them from spreading Lyme disease and anaplasmosis to pets and family. with 6 control tubes per box, each box treats about 1/4 Acre of property per application. Tick Tubes work with nature to reduce the tick population, are environmentally friendly and have been evaluated by the EPA for safety. Apply twice a year for best results, the best time to apply is late-April and late-July before young ticks begin feeding. Place the tubes flat on the ground in brush-covered and wooded areas with a maximum distance of 10 yds. between tubes. Treatment should be in areas inhibited by ticks, position the tubes so ticks have access to the open ends. Kids are most at risk of Lyme given the time they spend playing in tick habitat.

Effective in thickets tubes placed near thickets or rotting logs within the woodlot will be more effective than those placed in more open woodland surroundings or terrains

Apply twice a year control tubes may be applied anytime between April 1 and Mid-September, but should be applied at least twice a year to combat feeding season for nymphal and larval ticks
Thank you for doing the research -- I'll have to put you on the xmas list. Unfortunately you just missed the 2023 distribution. and by next year I might forget :D

I make my own. Save TP tubes and soak cotton balls in the juice in a HD zip bag, then stuff the tubes ( or half tubes) and surround my activity places. Not much cost. NO ticks. I out them out late, like around now. The critters use the cotton in their nest and then it is good night for the associated ticks.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for doing the research -- I'll have to put you on the xmas list. Unfortunately you just missed the 2023 distribution. and by next year I might forget :D

I make my own. Save TP tubes and soak cotton balls in the juice in a HD zip bag, then stuff the tubes ( or half tubes) and surround my activity places. Not much cost. NO ticks. I out them out late, like around now. The critters use the cotton in their nest and then it is good night for the associated ticks.
Well you gave me and others the gift idea of rolling / making your own TP tubes.
Thank you very much.

Around parts of Oregon there are Elk that can have some bad tick populations carried around on them.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
They say when the weather gets cold, if the ticks can't find a host, they begin to congregate together into a giant mass for warmth. If this mass of ticks gets large enough it begins to act like a single life form known as a Tick King, with each tick taking on a specific roll within the Tick King's body.

One account from a farmer in Maine describes him seeing an entity that he mistook for a cow, but it was in fact a Tick King. Since all the ticks had previoisly absorbed the DNA of cows they were able to replicate the shape and movement of one, even able to make a mooing noise.

When the real cows in the area approached to investigate the new arrival the Tick King burst and all the cows were swarmed by millions of ticks. Becoming drained of blood in seconds they became mumified where they stood.

Satiated, the ticks regrouped from the dried up carcasses and reformed into the Tick King, only now something was different, instead of resembling a cow, it resembled a man. And that's when it began walking toward the farmer who was witnessing all this. He slammed the door, got in his car and drove away.

The next day the Federal Government quarantined and burnt the entire area with a massive wild fire. To this day they will not confirm or deny this story. It can be assumed however that wherever there is a large Federal Government presence and an unexplained wilf fire, a Tick King was most likely spotted shortly prior. Stay safe friends.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread