An Idea that might work?

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I have given a lot of thought about the rules our wonderful governement have placed on "public land" in National Parks.

In Missouri you have to attend a two-day class and take a test before you can go hunting. Why not implement a similar program on the state and national level? Have people attend a class on what the rules are and why. Have them pass a test showing they know the rules, how to dig a proper plug so as not to destroy the property, etc and then give them a metal detecting license.

There are tons of items just sitting in the ground going to waste on land that belongs to you and me because some pencil pusher decided that we shouldn't be allowed to dig. And think about how much trash we detectorists would clean up from the parks at no charge to the Park service.

Just a thought? Anyone have any opinions on this??

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once the gov. starts setting ways to get in our pockets more than they do already, it is a bad thing. No matter the good intentions, it will turn out bad.

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
you guys/gals need a licence ? we are lucky they scrapped them here

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Mastereagle, while I agree with you that it would be a great policy, I also agree with Sandman. Unfortunately even IF that policy were enacted, there would still be some MDers who would say "I don't need no stinking permit". Sadly, I have seen that attitude even amongst some of the TNET members. And, even more sadly, those are the people that are the direct causation of these prohibition laws.
---Mel

borninok

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Sandman said:
Once the gov. starts setting ways to get in our pockets more than they do already, it is a bad thing. No matter the good intentions, it will turn out bad.

Excuse the political side of this post. Once the gov. gets a law passed, then it's only a matter of time when some politician makes it his life work to get it superceded or ammended. IMO, the more laws they can hold over you; the tighter the straight jacket.

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
OK I was just thinking of ways we could "encourage" our government to let us use out lands. I just think it is really funny and typically political that you can Hunt on National Park land you just cannot dig anything you find. And that a lot of places won't even allow the hunting aspect and will take away your machine and fine you.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
Mastereagle, why not come to the Chisholm Trail Hunt in October? Caldwell, KS can't be too far from ya, can it? ;D ;D
--Mel

borninok

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Don't get us wrong though. We'd love to be able to hunt some outstanding National sites. But their restrictions would be too prohibitive IMO. The hoops they'd make you jump through and all the t's and i's you'd have to cross and dot would leave you so frustrated that a tot lot would look real good about that time.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
"...a tot lot would look real good about that time"
Stoney, since here in Manassas, VA tot lots are considered public land....and since the city code/ordinance specifically cites city playgrounds....I can't even hunt a tot lot here! Think of all of the treasures that I'm missing out on....ha/ha

BTW....I know you can't hear it from down there.................but IT HAS BEEN RAINING HERE FOR THE PAST 10 MINUTES....YIPPPPEEEEEEEE

Finally!! My lawn looks like a prairie....brown and tall weeds. Let's see, I last mowed my yard back in June....ha/ha hasn't grown much because of the drought.

--Mel

borninok

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
borninok said:
Mastereagle, why not come to the Chisholm Trail Hunt in October? Caldwell, KS can't be too far from ya, can it? ;D ;D
--Mel

borninok

9 hour drive or so. Not too bad what is the Chisholm Trail Hunt?

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Name one thing the government has got involved with that didn't turn out totally screwed up. We need to fight this through other means.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
"...what is the Chisholm Trail Hunt?"

Mastereagle, just sent you PM.
--Mel

borninok

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
mastereagle, the govt. has sooo much bureaucratic tangles, expenses, and layers now, that the last thing they want to do is make more paperwork, programs, etc.... It's probably best that we are thought of as innocent geeks, not something that needs to be regulated.

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Tom_in_CA said:
mastereagle, the govt. has sooo much bureaucratic tangles, expenses, and layers now, that the last thing they want to do is make more paperwork, programs, etc.... It's probably best that we are thought of as innocent geeks, not something that needs to be regulated.

As I titled the post it was just a thought. I was simply driving by a national forest not too long ago with too many campgrounds to count and play areas and some swimming areas and I thought "Wow think of all the treasures that might be there." How about an open season then? One week in the fall, no digging tool longer than 12 inches or more than 3 inches wide? Believe me I think the government has WAY too much control of our lives and I think if things continue it won't be long before major changes will have to be made. I don't want the government to make any more rules or laws about detecting or anything else for that matter. But if they didn't manage the lands then there would be no parks I guess. It is a no win situation. I just wish there was some way to get them to ease their restrictions on this so we could detect and recover the treasure just waiting to be found.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several treasure legends that coincidentally lay inside National Park boundaries or other Federal land that is off limits to detecting/digging. HMMM?

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
diggummup said:
There are several treasure legends that coincidentally lay inside National Park boundaries or other Federal land that is off limits to detecting/digging. HMMM?

My point exactly!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
once you "give" the govt be it federal or state "right" to "issue" permits to dig you give them the right charge you "fees and permit cost" that will steady go up--$$$$ money ,money,money its what the govts about my freind ---giving them the "right to issue" means it "their" right thus they can "legally" then deny you the "right" to dig altogether---its a slippery slope--- think very carefully once any govt gets a "power" can you trust them to use it for "your" benifit rather than theirs? Ivan

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
ivan salis said:
once you "give" the govt be it federal or state "right" to "issue" permits to dig you give them the right charge you "fees and permit cost" that will steady go up--$$$$ money ,money,money its what the govts about my freind ---giving them the "right to issue" means it "their" right thus they can "legally" then deny you the "right" to dig altogether---its a slippery slope--- think very carefully once any govt gets a "power" can you trust them to use it for "your" benifit rather than theirs? Ivan

Yes I know everything you say is true. I just think it is a shame that all of those potential sites and treasures are just going to waste. I went to a State Park over the weekend I had a permit to hunt (free at this point) and was treated like a felon by the Ranger. As I drove to the beaches I observed three play areas all with wood chips but I know that if I were to get caught using my detector there I would lose my permit and not be allowed back into any of the few state parks that permit detecting. This park is primarily for Off Road Vehichles. They are litterally ripping up the ground everyday. While there I counted no less than 500 ORVs of one type or another racing all over the place. And the beaches were littered with trash from Beer cans, Alcohol is prohibited. I was told by one local person that one of the Rangers bought a detector and he goes in when he wants and detects wherever he wants. I guess I need to become a park ranger. I guess we detectorists are just too dangerous!!! Watch out I have a detector and I'm not afraid to use it.

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Uh, guys? I believe that "two day class" is for deer hunting (or turkey or whatever), not coin/relic/whatever hunting. Not MDing, anyway.

And much as I hate to admit it, our son took this class while still in high school (through the high school, actually). Since neither I nor his dad have any hands on experience with weaponry (outside of hubby's stint in the Navy) - I thought it was a Good Thing to have the kid acquainted with how to handle firearms properly.

Said kid has since done his Army stint, and has managed to (1) stay out of trouble and (2) become an actual productive member of society. Cool beans, eh?

Hubby did make top marks in marksmanship, btw

late to work!
HH
Nan

S

skydiv

If it seems like everything is screwed up with government control just think how it would be without. everything would run amuck, everyone doing what they wanted to do, no, it may not be a good system but, we do need some kind of control.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread