And yet another flooded Equinox..

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Has anybody tested a recent return unit that had the problem? I hope they fixed the problem.

Two weeks ago while hunting in the lake, wading at chest level water so the detector head unit was 1 to 1.5 feet under water. Got home discovered water in the display unit, but the 800 was still working.
Sent it back and they shipped me back a brand new control unit within two hours of them receiving the returned unit. Received the brand new control head within 2 days under warranty. Just cost me the outgoing shipping charges of about $12.00.

I ask customer support if I now had a new full warranty on the new control unit and they said no. Just had the remaining warranty on the original purchase.
Well I tried.

Last edited:

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two weeks ago while hunting in the lake, wading at chest level water so the detector head unit was 1 to 1.5 feet under water. Got home discovered water in the display unit, but the 800 was still working.
Sent it back and they shipped me back a brand new control unit within two hours of them receiving the returned unit. Received the brand new control head within 2 days under warranty. Just cost me the outgoing shipping charges of about $12.00.

I ask customer support if I now had a new full warranty on the new control unit and they said no. Just had the remaining warranty on the original purchase.
Well I tried.

So a brand new head but existing warranty.. guess thats how they will prevent people from overdoing the returns.. if it leaks it leaks and should have a new warranty.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a brand new head but existing warranty.. guess thats how they will prevent people from overdoing the returns.. if it leaks it leaks and should have a new warranty.
Nothing gets a new warranty because it needs a repair. That's not how warranties work. Some companies will provide goodwill repairs outside of warranty for known problems though.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s nit the point. We spent bug money because we had confidence in Minelab’s quality but now we all have this hinging over our heads. Yea some are saying it only a few compared to how many they have sold BUT the few that actually hit the water that’s too many.
So now at least I have lost confidence in Minelab. I’m guessing they may ride this out for the three years. Ah my age I can’t afford to buy another one in three years.
Pit would be nice if they would step up and have a recall for all of us but you know that’s not gonna happen. I’m wondering what is actually causing this because I think they know and they have experience with no problems with other water models over the year.
so we will see what happens but I’m not expecting anything.

OK, we get it, you have lost confidence. Pretty clear after multiple posts in the same thread that you are disappointed. Perhaps you should just sell the thing and move on to the next best alternative rather than banging your head against the wall complaining about it. Every ML waterproof model (Excal I, Excal II, CTX, and now Equinox) as well as many other brands (Whites MX Sport and Garrett ATX) have suffered leaking issues. It is not uncommon.

You have already hunted in the water and rain without issue so why have you lost confidence? You are covered under warranty FOR THREE YEARS even if you need to get a replacement. Most companies will only honor a warranty of 30 to 90 days on the replacement part if you invoke the original warranty for repair, so ML appears to be treating Equinox users fairly when it comes to warranty replacement. That means you could theoretically replace the control head infinite times over the next 3 years and still be covered and, besides, I have yet to hear of anyone suffering the problem lately AFTER they have gotten a replacement unit.

I doubt a recall is coming, but I agree it would be nice to get an idea whether this a manufacturing issue limited to a certain lot of detectors or a design issue and whether ML has a handle on it. But in the absence of that, I have full confidence that ML is honoring their warranty for 3 years since purchase EVEN ON REPLACEMENTS which is outstanding.

Believe me, in 3 years, Equinox is going to look like ancient technology.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V is correct. 3 years from now most of us won't want what we have now, although my Tesoro is going on 8 years old and has never broken and still kicks butte.
Either get over it and use your machines, or go get something else more durable. Or just stay out of the water. Worrying about it is not going to help.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more point is that a recall would be useless if they haven't found and fixed the problem. If they have found it and the new ones are fixed you won't need to worry about it in the future.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V is correct. 3 years from now most of us won't want what we have now, although my Tesoro is going on 8 years old and has never broken and still kicks butte.
Either get over it and use your machines, or go get something else more durable. Or just stay out of the water. Worrying about it is not going to help.

Agree with Smokey 100%. I have a EQ 800, and I like it, having said that, I have not used them in a long while, a Safari and a X-Terra 70, but will keep them.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please everyone calm down and go play awhile! I did today! Machines are useless unless you use it! Wow! Lots of "U"'s in that sentence!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There will be no recall. Move on.

Recalls for consumer products are used when there are safety issues, otherwise the warranty is used to address manufacturing defects. The most one can hope for is that ML will use the information they learn from the returns to produce an internal service bulletin to help them solve the problem.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Megalodon what month and year did they first arrive? I think we're going on 15-18 months. Maybe an internal bulletin, but nothing public.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Megalodon what month and year did they first arrive? I think we're going on 15-18 months. Maybe an internal bulletin, but nothing public.

Don't know. When you take your car in for warranty work, they look for any ISBs for guidance unless the issue is a common one. But the USBs are not publicized because then everyone would want a fix for an issue that probably won't arise for them. I don't know if ML works the same way - but it would make sense.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how to find out! Give me a minute!

Got it! Looks like about February 2018 is when folks started posted they were trying out their new machines. So...this coming February it's 24 months for the first purchasers whose warranty will run out one year later, 2021.

Last edited:

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real question is when were the first units with leaks produced and the latest production date that has had the issue. If we could figure out a serial range that would help. I don't know how to get that info though.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bayoutalker, the only way to find out would be to get the serials of units that have had a leaking box or other problem.

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Give Rowdy a pat for me. He looks ready to go,anywhere.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bayoutalker, the only way to find out would be to get the serials of units that have had a leaking box or other problem.
Yeah but how do we get that? I'm sure ML has it down to a range of affected units by now. Of course they aren't going to give it out, no manufacturer would. I'm sure they want the problem to go away more than we do. It's expensive to repair but reputation is worth more. How many have you heard of that actually leaked in normal use? I bet it's a small percentage of the units sold.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give Rowdy a pat for me. He looks ready to go,anywhere.
He's a handful! Never stops wanting to play. His only problem is he gets car sick. I'm hoping he outgrows it. We are working on it a little at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions