Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....it didnt take long for me to flood mine. Went to 8ft at the dock searching for a lost atocha coin in the bezel. After 30 min at 8ft. She died and showed FP.....then CD. Since I could not find the FP code, I made my own conclusion that it stands for flooded panel !!
I'll send it in and get it fixed, but that's the end of any significant underwater hunting with it. This machine is a child's toy compared to an excal underwater. I trust it for wading and it's a great beach machine. If your gonna put in any time at six to eight feet....then grab your excal. Glad I found 2 treasure coins and a bronze religous medal before it popped.....pretty sure these 3 pieces have it paid off in terms of there value. That being said I've only had it for a few months and only one time to 8 ft. And it failed. I cant rely on it to hold at depth.....and that's a bunch of BS !!

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....it didnt take long for me to flood mine. Went to 8ft at the dock searching for a lost atocha coin in the bezel. After 30 min at 8ft. She died and showed FP.....then CD. Since I could not find the FP code, I made my own conclusion that it stands for flooded panel !!
I'll send it in and get it fixed, but that's the end of any significant underwater hunting with it. This machine is a child's toy compared to an excal underwater. I trust it for wading and it's a great beach machine. If your gonna put in any time at six to eight feet....then grab your excal. Glad I found 2 treasure coins and a bronze religous medal before it popped.....pretty sure these 3 pieces have it paid off in terms of there value. That being said I've only had it for a few months and only one time to 8 ft. And it failed. I cant rely on it to hold at depth.....and that's a bunch of BS !!
How many times has it leaked? By what I'm reading this was the only time. If so, why would you not give it another chance after repair? By now surely they know why and have a true fix for it.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only had it for a few months and only one time to 8 ft. And it failed. I cant rely on it to hold at depth.....and that's a bunch of BS !!

What a pile!
I've seriously considered buying one of these machines.

So, they are a good land machine?
But, but it has to be a sunny day?

You see this,........

Silver Turtle Deluxe (1).JPG

It's how many "decades" old?

Never a single problem.

And here's a modern high tech company that can't keep water out at 8 feet.

I for one, am not impressed.

Why not just market it as a "water resistant" detector.

Who wants to sit around while it's in the service department, with dozens of others
all waiting to be repaired and finally returned to the owners?

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Worse yet what happens when warranty is gone. I’m on Social Secretary and I had to scrape to get enough to buy my 800 and I couldn’t do that anymore. That scares me. Can we afford $900 every three years.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt be shocked in the slightest if mine flooded while trying to ANY amount of diving with it. It was never intended for that. waterproof to 10 ft is nothing more than a wading machine regardless of who made it, or what it is. Keep in mind that 10 foot rating is for a static environment. Waves and movement put increased stresses on the unit which can easily jump beyond the pressure increase of 10 feet (roughly 4 psi)

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Good point , I only go wast deep with my waders. I’d be leery any deeper than that.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a pile!

You see this,........

View attachment 1766525

Never a single problem.

Who wants to sit around while it's in the service department, with dozens of others

No, you are intentionally creating a false situation to justify your "moral outrage". This would be like comparing a gopro 8 with its "waterproof to 33 foot" design to a gopro 4 in a dedicated scuba housing rated for 200 feet. They are completely different in both design and scope.

Lastly, you arent familiar with current Minelab repairs. You would have a new head shipped back to you same or next day it was received. They wouldnt repair it, they would just replace it. Even the other units that do warrant repairs are only looking at 24 hour turnaround time on average.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a pile!

You see this,........

View attachment 1766525

Never a single problem.

Out of the thousands of Equinoxs sold how many have failed and leaked, very few.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True

"But", as someone who has Suffered headache after headache dealing with Minelab
service,..... just speaking from previous experience.

There are thousands of Minelab users that have been, "more than disappointed" with their service.

And that is also true.

When some users have had to send their machines to another country to have them repaired,......
What kind of service is that?

And, when you call and inquire about a repair, "They go into sales mode", and try to sell you a new machine.

What a bunch of baloney.

Glad they don't make automobiles.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of the thousands of Equinoxs sold how many have failed and leaked, very few.

That is because only a few users have taken them into the water!

Most users search on dry land!

So, of the few that have been used in the water, a few of them have leaked.

I'm still not impressed in the least.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really glad they don't make submarines.

LOL!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True

There are thousands of Minelab users that have been, "more than disappointed" with their service.

And that is also true.

When some users have had to send their machines to another country to have them repaired,......

And, when you call and inquire about a repair, "They go into sales mode", and try to sell you a new machine.

What a bunch of baloney.

You REALLY dont know the modern ML repair process!! What you are talking about is when kellyco had the repair contract. They suffered several losses to technicians and repairs began backing up until it was taking months to get work done. It was a very bad situation. That changed about a year or so back. The repair center was moved, and repairs are now lightning fast. There is no sales pitch of any kind. If call ML for warranty, they will take your information and give you an RMA number and the address to ship to. You ship it, they repair or replace it and ship it back.

I understand you frustration for past problems, that things have changed immensely since the last time you had an issue.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
If mine get wet after warranty I will be done detecting , at my age and social security I wouldn’t be able to afford another.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You REALLY dont know the modern ML repair process!! What you are talking about is when kellyco had the repair contract. They suffered several losses to technicians and repairs began backing up until it was taking months to get work done.

No, that's not what I'm talking about.

Those two brothers at Kellyco were "Golden".
When one passed it was a disaster.

It's tough to remember now,......
But, bear with me,.........

First they shut down the repair center in Las Vegas?
Then shut down the repair center in Florida?
Or the center in Flordia was then overwhelmed?

If call ML for warranty, they will take your information and give you an RMA number and the address to ship to. You ship it, they repair or replace it and ship it back.

"And How About Machines That Are No Longer Under Warranty?"

That's the "True" test of any service department.

Minelab is the absolute worst at servicing a machine past warranty.

Like the user above mentioned,... "if his machine leaks and is out of warranty, he's done"

Look at the machine,......

You have the brain, the coil, and the pole.

It's an expensive machine, most the cost isn't in the pole assembly and the coil.
The lion share of the cost is in the brain, that is a going to be a costly repair out of warranty.

Oh, and then comes the lady with her sales pitch about buying the latest and greatest.

Minelab was great back in the day, there was a change of ownership, and they are not
the nice people they used to be.

Sending a machine to Ireland to get it fixed because stateside centers are instructed not
to service them?

Like I said, "I'm glad they don't make automobiles!"

Most people would not even consider sending their car to Ireland to have it repaired,....
They would just buy a new one.

"Exactly" what Minelab wants users to do.

"Just buy a new machine"

What a bunch of baloney

JethrowClampett

Greenie
Oct 7, 2019
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra 3Vi, Whites MX Sport, Whites TDI, Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Get a backup machine only for water, any machine that says its good for 10' I don't trust. Thats why the Fisher CZ and others have direct wiring, special seals etc.; water has a way of getting through the weakest point.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If mine get wet after warranty I will be done detecting , at my age and social security I wouldn’t be able to afford another.

I guess if you can't find enough jewelry and coins to buy another one, you'll need to use your Xterra until you can.......or else unretire and get a job! :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True

And that is also true.

What a bunch of baloney.

Where are you getting your figures for "thousands disappointed"?

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a backup machine only for water, any machine that says its good for 10' I don't trust. Thats why the Fisher CZ and others have direct wiring, special seals etc.; water has a way of getting through the weakest point.
And even some of those have leaked. There is no such thing as a machine that never fails in some way.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess if you can't find enough jewelry and coins to buy another one, you'll need to use your Xterra until you can.......or else unretire and get a job! :laughing7:

"Excuse me",..... but isn't it the X-Terra that has to be sent to Ireland when the blister switch control panel fails?

Manufactured in 2005

X-Terra_178x140.JPG

Or is it another of their units with blister switches in the control panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread