Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bayoutalker, only way it to get people to volunteer at the least the last few digits of their serials, or more wisely, the date purchased. As far as a percentage, that's just a guess.
I don't really think there is a way to do it from our perspective but that is what manufacturers do on their end. I've been on that end. Normally it is a production run and they figure out the issue pretty quickly and get a fix for it. Then you fix the ones that fail and go on. I'm sure it is a very small percentage of units sold. I'm not worried about mine. If it leaks, I'll send it in if it is still in warranty and if it lasts longer it'll be time for a new unit.

Birop

Oct 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was flooded yesterday.
I made an account here just to report it to you all.

The flooding problem may be the real issue with this detector.
But we cant have a real picture since not all sold detectors are used in water.

Mine was flooded just in less than 1m deep water.
Now I am waiting for ML to reply to my e-mail. I dont know where to send it for repair. I am from Croatia.

Also I would like to know what is causing the flooding. Actually, what is the weak spot on the unit that leaks.
Maybe there is something that can be done to prevent the future leaking.
This detector is phenomenal. I use it on land and on the beach or shallow water. I really dot like an idea that it could fail again after repair.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You personally won't be able to do anything to prevent it. If you open the box, you void the warranty. As far as future leaking, who knows? Depends on the build quality and repair quality and if the parts have been re-engineered or not. Only they know.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have a vested interest in fixing the problem. Besides the cost of shipping and repairs the loss of reputation is something they don't need. I'm sure they have figured it out by now and the repaired units should be good. We will only know by reports from those that have received replacement units so those of you that have new replacements please test them out and let us know.

Just remember, those already in stock at dealers may still have issues for some time as they are from earlier production. First time leakers should not be a big concern as an indicator of a continuing problem.

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing gets a new warranty because it needs a repair. That's not how warranties work. Some companies will provide goodwill repairs outside of warranty for known problems though.

It's not a repair though is it, it's a brand new head unit and It should come with a brand new warranty. If your engine blew up on a new car and it was replaced you'd get a brand new warranty.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a repair though is it, it's a brand new head unit and It should come with a brand new warranty. If your engine blew up on a new car and it was replaced you'd get a brand new warranty.
Sorry but no you wouldn't. You would get the remaining warranty on the vehicle.

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry but no you wouldn't. You would get the remaining warranty on the vehicle.

sorry to disagree bud but the engine would come with say for instance an 80,000 mile warranty so if you had a new engine your warranty would start again from 0 miles. I don't mean the whole car, I just mean the engine. So if ML supply a new head unit it should come with a new 3 year warranty, IMO.

Last edited:

smsjsmith

Oct 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokeythecat mine does the same thing. It gets muffled when dunked under water but seems to work fine after a few hours out.

Can anyone explain to me what "burping" is?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry to disagree bud but the engine would come with say for instance an 80,000 mile warranty so if you had a new engine your warranty would start again from 0 miles. I don't mean the whole car, I just mean the engine. So if ML supply a new head unit it should come with a new 3 year warranty, IMO.
If your car is in warranty and the engine is replaced it will only carry the remaining warranty of the vehicle. If you purchase a new engine it will have it's own warranty separate from the vehicle. I worked for manufacturers of several products for many years and that is how warranty works.

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your car is in warranty and the engine is replaced it will only carry the remaining warranty of the vehicle. If you purchase a new engine it will have it's own warranty separate from the vehicle. I worked for manufacturers of several products for many years and that is how warranty works.

I didn't know that, I was wrong, you are technically right, but I personally think it sucks and for the consumers point of view it's just plain wrong.

Last edited:

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You paid for a product that was warranted for a certain period of time. So far they have kept it going and I'm sure they will for that time.

If it worked as you suggest people would intentionally fail their unit just before the end of warranty, get it repaired and get the same warranty as a new one. Why would they ever need to get a new one? That would be the equivalent of a lifetime warranty.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i never dunked mine but was having problem and sent coil and control and they replaced the coil. Either shallow water killed it or it just failed, never was abused so i think it was a water issue.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know that, I was wrong, you are technically right, but I personally think it sucks and for the consumers point of view it's just plain wrong.

ML's policy is actually pretty good compared to most consumer electronics and even some other detector manufacturer's terms. If you invoke the warranty due to a covered failure, you will typically be given a refurbed replacement unit and that unit will typically only come with a 60 or 90 day warranty.

Welcome to the real world, where everything is usually stacked in favor of the "house".

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like V said, case in point, have you ever tried to take an automotive electronics part back? You're doomed from day 1 on those.

So...long story short, 3 year warranty expires on 3 years and 1 day and you're on your own, like with most everything else with a warranty on it. When it's done, it's done.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like I've been schooled in the world of warranties....:notworthy:

Regardless, I agree with you, in general, the consumer is usually considered an after thought or nuisance once the sale is made. Just in this case, ML looks pretty good compared to most.

Following up on what Smokey said, I can tell you some warranty horror stories on power window failures and clogged fuel injectors that I would have thought were covered under a supplemental warranty I paid extra for. There was always a fine print clause that said otherwise. Never again will I make that mistake.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like V said, case in point, have you ever tried to take an automotive electronics part back? You're doomed from day 1 on those.

So...long story short, 3 year warranty expires on 3 years and 1 day and you're on your own, like with most everything else with a warranty on it. When it's done, it's done.

It will be very interesting to see if ML does goodwill repairs to these when the warranties end. Of course, there is no obligation on their part to do so when the warranty is an express warranty.

I once had a boat dealer cover an out-of-warranty repair for a problem that was entirely due to my own negligence. Trying to get back to the ramp at dusk one day in a bass boat, I had a loud bang followed by no sound. The driveshaft had snapped. Luckily, I managed to get back with the electric trolling motor. Back home, I discovered that the black o-ring was missing from the lower unit drain plug, no doubt lost when I changed the lower unit gear oil and not seen because the Mercury outboard was black like the o-ring. Saltwater is a bad lubricant. I took it to the dealer and explained what happened, and admitted to them that I felt foolish because this was all my fault. It was repaired with a new lower unit and ready for pickup in two weeks. I was at the counter with checkbook and pen in hand, just happy with their quick service when the service manager told me to put away my checkbook - they took care of it. I returned that winter to buy the best center console boat they had.

On the other hand, I had a chevy transmission fail at 37K in a 3/4 ton conversion van only 1K miles out of warranty and got charged full price on its replacement.

Sorry for the off-topic deviation...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a turkey two years ago for Thanksgiving. I bought the $30 organic kind. BIG MISTAKE. Well, it was so tough a Tyrannosaurus Rex couldn't eat it. It wound up in the trash. Of course, I didn't have the receipt. I went back to the grocery and told them what happened. They gave me an $18 store credit which was great considering. You never know. The wise person would make sure their unit didn't leak at least a year before the warranty expired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread