Another BIG dang full groove axe

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
So yesterday the wife and I did some running around getting things done, with today, Sunday planned to hit the fields.

Yesterday was overcast and the morning had light rain. It was tough to NOT get out into the field. Even as I get older, I still get the hankering to hit the fields when I see a field plowed. Most folks in the office talk about not liking the rain and "gloomy" days, but wow I see good times in the fields.

Since I am getting older, I can't do sunup to sundown anymore. A good three or four hours in the field plopping through mud with mud sticking to the boots is about all I can do anymore.

As I was driving to the planned relic hunting area, the rain started coming down continuously, and the wind blowing harder.

I scouted some fields, seeing what I could hit today and next week. I pulled into the farm and spoke to the farmer I have known for close to 40 years.

As we talked, he asked me if I wanted to take a photo of the axe his dad found, sure do. I have seen the axe before and the other relic he found back in the old days when moldboard plowing was common.

The photos just do not do this axe justice. Its BIGGER than the axe I posted recently. This full groove axe is so large, you cant see my hand, and it was difficult to hold with one hand in a way to get a good photo with my other hand to show the size reference.

This axe was found on the farms back ridge area in a hollow the pigs have wollowed out, not a plowed field. So, there is absolutely no damage whatsoever on this axe.

I found a number of fine relics on the ridge back in the 90s. The last 10 years the area of the ridge has been pasture.

steves_axe1.jpg

The brown carpeting is not the best background to use for a brown axe, but what are you gonna do? This photo really does not show the size real good. Its sort of at an angle.
steves_axe2.jpg

Upvote 18

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
That’s a big one alright.
I picked one up at a local show in the morning and flipped it by the end of the day. Some really like the big ax heads. Idk what I would do if I ever found one that size, it’s a beauty

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
close to Ohio, south Indiana.

I will be getting down that way again soon and get better photos of the axe. I was a bit rushed today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread