Delicate pottery with interesting design.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know others have found some really nice looking pieces with designs on them but this is only my second (third?) that was easy to see.
12-03-23-Riverbank-NA-Design-1.JPG
A second piece (which broke) had a hole in it from when it was made.

They came out of a local riverbank, while I was detecting, after we had some high winds lately.
The shore had eroded to within about 8' of the vegetation .

I've also included some images of 2 shards embedded in a palm tree root ball. Trees swallow them up as they grow. 12-03-23-Riverbank-NA-Hole-2-Back.JPG 12-03-23-Riverbank-Group-5VNice.JPG 12-03-23-Riverbank-PotteryInRootball-5.JPG 12-03-23-Riverbank-PotteryInRootball-6.JPG 12-03-23-Riverbank-PotteryInRootball-3.JPG 12-03-23-Riverbank-NA-Hole-1.JPG 12-03-23-Riverbank-NA-Hole-2-Back.JPG
(Managed to find 5 musket balls as well in three different sizes.)
Any help with a type of design or culture would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Upvote 12
OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a lot of pottery just north of you in Brevard County, most along the St John's River. I posted some nice pieces here not too long ago. I never have studied what cultures made the various types.
Thanks Newnan Man.

That was where I found my first one about 2019 on the Indian River. I don't remember it being as ornate or detailed as this one. Most of the shards I come across here are much thicker than this one.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Newnan Man.

That was where I found my first one about 2019 on the Indian River. I don't remember it being as ornate or detailed as this one. Most of the shards I come across here are much thicker than this one.
I do know the thicker ones are older than the sand tempered thin ones. As pottery making progressed they got better at it.

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I hadn't heard that before, it certainly makes sense.

Some of the first shards I found were "rising" out of the ground from a pool dig. It was started in the rainy season and had to wait about 3 months to complete it. Meanwhile, the more it rained the more the shards rose from the dirt. They really stood out when the sun cast long shadows from them. These first ones were older style with the cross hatch pattern from binding them in palm tree husks to increase the heat during the firing. At least that is what I was told.
Here's a couple of more interesting ones from last month.
(I'm partial to red ones.)
Fall2023Riverbank-DeepHashtag-Front-3.JPG Fall2023Riverbank-RedWRim-Front-1.JPG Fall2023Riverbank-RedWRim-LeftSide-1.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions