Another day at dads farm...

Fisher

Sep 24, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Another day at dad's farm...

I went to another house site on dad's farm a couple of weeks ago. I took my two boys with me this time. They had a blast digging the holes for me! ;D We found some more glass lined mason jar lids, a knife, a cattle tag, another bull ring?, and some old shell casings.
041608-1.JPG

I've been trying to date the house site using the jar lids but even though they were patented by Lewis Boyd in 1869, they were used by different glass companies well up into the late 20th century. I would like some info. on the makers mark if anyone has any. They bot say "Boyd's Genuine Porcelain Lined Cap" but have different numbers in the middle.
041608-2.JPG 041608-3.JPG

The two old bullets are a W.R.A. 38-55 and an U.M.C. 12 ga.
041608-4.JPG

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!
Fisher

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Another day at dad's farm...

Nice digs :)

HH

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT

The glass in those lids have always struck me a really beautiful. Only found one whole one though.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have several jars with zinc lids (I think they are zinc) I see them all the time at antique stores ,but not sure the age they used them. I know up into the 19xx sometime but don't know when they started using them

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Make sure the boys wear good gloves. Lots of sharp things underground.

Looks like you all had a fun time. Congrats on involving them in your hobby!

-Buckleboy

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All your finds are nice, but I gotta admit.. I love the white mason jar lids. I have never seen one before...thank you :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Fisher

Fisher

Sep 24, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Tim, Lonewolf, and Allen - Thanks!

Karinus - I thought so too, I'm going to try and research it to get an approx. date too.

Korban - There's a bunch down on this farm! I'm hoping one day I'll find one on top of a jar filled with some old coins!

Crazyjarhead - I believe one of these lids are zinc. I haven't looked for any other info. yet, just what I posted.

BuckleBoy - Funny story, they do wear gloves...A while back we were watching one of Captn_SE's videos and my oldest son said "Those gloves look cool, I'd like to have a pair like that." So I picked him up a pair and as it turns out I like them better than my leather ones too! He likes to sit with me and look at all the finds too. Thanks.

Bootybay - Thank you. I have never seen one before last year, I was hoping to dig one with the lid still intact this year. Guess I can mark that off my list now. Your welcome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread