Another day at the 1880s farm house...first horse shoe and FIRST BUCKLE!!!

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
Another day at the 1880's farm house...first horse shoe and FIRST BUCKLE!!!

Well,
I went back to the farm house today...nice weather! I stayed up all night last night thinking of why I haven't found a single deep or old coin at a house never metal detected before (except the owner testing his once, before he decided he didn't like metal detecting). The only coins I have found there are 70's and 80's pennies and dimes. I like clad and all, but come on! Then it hit me...I need to stop coin shooting and clear some of the hundreds of nails and old iron out (not to mention the pull tabs). So I decided to dedicate a day to cleaning out the front yard (at least a 25' by 25' area) and did so today. Well, I am now considering switching to relic hunting perminately...lol.
Here's just a few of my finds...
Finds@Mar3.jpg

I found the horse shoe first...nails still in it...
Horse Shoe.jpg

And the buckle about five inches from it...I am very excited about this one. It's 2 3/4" long and 2 1/2" wide. PLEASE tell me as much as you can about this buckle, I am curious!!!
buckle top wd40.jpg
buckle bottom wd40.jpg
buckle side.jpg
buckle bottom.jpg

Here's both of them together :)
buckle and shoe.jpg

Found this key with a 57 on it...
57 key.jpg

Found my first nickle (save for a few in tot lots) and it's also the oldest (63) coin found at this site thus far ond only found after I moved a few nails above it...I guess cleaning the site really will pay off...
63nickle.jpg

...and what looks like a bead. It's less than a quarter inch wide/tall (not metal, found next to nail)...
bead2.jpg

And these are for your enjoyment folks...This is the celler hole with the outhouse in the background...
cellar outhouse.jpg

...and this is with the barn...
Cellar Barn.jpg

Thanks for lookin' folks, and I will post pics of my other finds after they are cleaned. Thanks in advance for info on the buckle!!!

~Tom

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Re: Another day at the 1880's farm house...first horse shoe and FIRST BUCKLE!!!

ModernMiner said:
AF,
Congrats on your finds. Cool Ford key! Your finds look a lot like the old farms I hunt. You'll find a LOT of old iron like horseshoes, plow pieces, buckles, etc. If this place hasn't been hunted before, and even if it has, you WILL find old coins soon. I've hit a number of old places, like the one I'm hunting now, that have been detected before. There are still old coins, buttons, CW relics, etc. all over the place. Get ready to have some fun and do a lot of digging. You found a great spot. Some spots that I have found old coins by are:
right by large old trees, areas where people gathered , and where clotheslines used to be. Don't by shy at getting into and around bushes either. Looking forward to you future posts.
-MM-

Thanks for the encouragement Modern Miner, I can't WAIT to get back out there...too buisy planning a wedding today! I have found a wheaty there now that I think about it...lol, like a 51 (i guess that nickle isn't the oldest), and I hear, where there's wheat, there's silver!

~Tom

kdye401

Oct 22, 2004
Riverside California
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000DI Whites MXT

Nice finds, its really great to see the pictures of the site that was hunted.
HH Kenny

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tom,
Any clue what the '57' represents? I tried looking it up on the internet and could not find any information on it. I'm thinking maybe it was the model number for the ignition. Maybe fords 57th version of the ignition for the model T but that is just a best guess.
NJ

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used

kdye401 said:
Nice finds, its really great to see the pictures of the site that was hunted.
HH Kenny

Yeah, I know I enjoy seeing other's pics of their sites, so I threw some of mine in...

NJTHer, No clue, sorry boss, but your ignition theory sounds good...

~Tom

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900

Nice finds!
Have you MD'ed the cellar yet?
You don't want to forget that. Also, if you can figure out where the chicken coop use to be....that would be another good spot.
WTG!

TW

gmsparky

Aug 14, 2007
metro detroit
Detector(s) used
dfx, m6, prizm III

I know what you mean about all the junk on farms. a friend has a 1860's farm house he let me hunt, i found a 1900 IH, 07 barber dime, & '19 canadian quarter near the house. out where the barn & other buildings were, there's iron junk EVERYWHERE !! I'm going to have to work hard to clear it out, & hopefully find some nice things. HH

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on your finds and welcome to the wonderful world of relic hunting! There's nothing better.

I hunt old farms almost exclusively nowadays, and I have found that you MUST dig every signal. Worst case scenario, you remove a big piece of junk that's potentially masking good targets; best case scenario it turns into a nice surprise. Just two days ago I got a huge overload signal that sounded like every other piece of broken iron I've found, but it ended up being this great old lead toy stagecoach (pic below).

So my advice is to take it slow, grid everything out, and DIG DIG DIG! You're in for some good times!

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Attachments

• Stagecoach_Both.jpg
    Stagecoach_Both.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Stagecoach_Both.jpg
    Stagecoach_Both.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 144

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread