Another day at the 1880s farm house...first horse shoe and FIRST BUCKLE!!!

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
Another day at the 1880's farm house...first horse shoe and FIRST BUCKLE!!!

Well,
I went back to the farm house today...nice weather! I stayed up all night last night thinking of why I haven't found a single deep or old coin at a house never metal detected before (except the owner testing his once, before he decided he didn't like metal detecting). The only coins I have found there are 70's and 80's pennies and dimes. I like clad and all, but come on! Then it hit me...I need to stop coin shooting and clear some of the hundreds of nails and old iron out (not to mention the pull tabs). So I decided to dedicate a day to cleaning out the front yard (at least a 25' by 25' area) and did so today. Well, I am now considering switching to relic hunting perminately...lol.
Here's just a few of my finds...
Finds@Mar3.jpg

I found the horse shoe first...nails still in it...
Horse Shoe.jpg

And the buckle about five inches from it...I am very excited about this one. It's 2 3/4" long and 2 1/2" wide. PLEASE tell me as much as you can about this buckle, I am curious!!!
buckle top wd40.jpg
buckle bottom wd40.jpg
buckle side.jpg
buckle bottom.jpg

Here's both of them together :)
buckle and shoe.jpg

Found this key with a 57 on it...
57 key.jpg

Found my first nickle (save for a few in tot lots) and it's also the oldest (63) coin found at this site thus far ond only found after I moved a few nails above it...I guess cleaning the site really will pay off...
63nickle.jpg

...and what looks like a bead. It's less than a quarter inch wide/tall (not metal, found next to nail)...
bead2.jpg

And these are for your enjoyment folks...This is the celler hole with the outhouse in the background...
cellar outhouse.jpg

...and this is with the barn...
Cellar Barn.jpg

Thanks for lookin' folks, and I will post pics of my other finds after they are cleaned. Thanks in advance for info on the buckle!!!

~Tom

Upvote 0

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: Another day at the 1880's farm house...first horse shoe and FIRST BUCKLE!!!

Wow, nice stuff! Isn't it fun?

The buckle looks like ... a buckle. Same with the horseshoe. Probably an old belt buckle. Try some electrolysis on it to see if you can get some of the rust off of it. The bead looks like "shot." I could be very wrong. Does it have a hole through it? That would be a bead, not shot.

JMO - Noodle

P.S. Nice to see someone get excited!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You're right about cleaning out the junk, especially if using a large round coil. A coin under the center of the coil plus iron by the coil edge, can cut your depth in half or more. Not only that, the ID readings become lower as well. Silver dime could say pulltab... ???

Nice finds, old relics and old coins go together. :)

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Welcome to the thrill of relic hunting, and what the heck is it! Gotta love the history behind a relic. I'll check on the buckle if someone doesn't get it tonight (they will!) Dig it all on a site like that, yo'll become one with thoes old square nails. :D But where there is old rust there is some great relics Welcome!

Oh don't forget hang the horse shoe upside down so the luck doesn't spill out. My huband steals all my horse shoes! Great job.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Cool pics , that site is old , Good lord,, thanks for sharing ,,, guzz1

scsomike

Greenie
Feb 29, 2008
Ellendale, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

i was thinking that was a lead piece of shot as well, especially when you desribed it at under a 1/4 inch.

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used

The key is a Ford Model T key. Nice finds!
Are you kidding me Flatcat??? That's awesome! Thanks for the ID, just thought it was a regular key, old yes (groove only on one side) but that's cool, do you have a reference (just so I can show it to the owner of the property)? Thanks again!
Does it have a hole through it? That would be a bead, not shot.
It looks like it has a hole through it...it's not metal though, I found it in a hole with a nail, and I checked it, it's definitely stone...Thanks for the help though!
Nice finds, old relics and old coins go together.
Lets hope so! I put a lot of time in cleaning just that little area, and without a pinpointer too! Thanks for the info!
I'll check on the buckle if someone doesn't get it tonight (they will!) Oh don't forget hang the horse shoe upside down so the luck doesn't spill out.
Thanks, I PM'd buckleboy, but he hasn't responded...I am sure he will know what it is as soon as he sees it! And thanks for the tip on the shoe!
Cool pics , that site is old , Good lord,, thanks for sharing.
Thanks for lookin'!!! You know, the cool thing about this sight is that, it's been in the family since it was built. So, everytime I find something, I get to show (and sometimes give) it to my friends...the great great grandchildren of the original owners! This buckle and the Model T Ford!!! key was one of her family members...anyway, I think it's cool...

Thanks again for lookin'! And feel free to take a stab at anything posted, that piece of ammo is a 6.5 MM, don't see those too often any more...anyway, HH!!!

~Tom

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dude the blue is terrible ;)

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice finds bud, that buckle looks to be a horse harness buckle. I especially like the 6.5MM round. My other hobby is building Mauser Sport Rifles. The photo is of a 6.5 Sweed Rifle that I built from an old Mauser Action. The 6.5 round is great for anything from large deer to small long range varmint hunting. Thanks for posting, neat stuff.

Attachments

• Mauser FINAL.JPG
    Mauser FINAL.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 643

DirkSears

Jan 14, 2008
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites M6 - Standard coil & Super 12

Nice finds! Not every treasure is silver and gold. Keep clearing that treasure and the silver and gold treasure will start surfacing! Keep up the good work!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice site,

Keep @ it and HH!!

Fishstank

Sep 18, 2007
3rd Gen. Arizona Native
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Ace 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer

If I were you I'd hunt that cellar!!

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used

Yeah, I found the key in another post by Shermanville (a TN member). Here's his key...his still says Ford on it, but mine is a little too corroded. However, I can see the round design below the Ford on mine...almost the same key! I found out they are numbered, and I've seen them numbered between 51 and 73 (I think) and mine has a 57 on it...
Here's Sherm's key...
Shermanville\'s Model T key.jpg

Here's the back of mine...
57 key back.jpg

And here's the 57...
Shermanville\'s Model T key.jpg

Thanks again for looking, and keep the suggestions coming!!!

~Tom

Attachments

• 57 key back.jpg
    57 key back.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 425
  • key 57.jpg
    key 57.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 538

Windbreaker

Jan 10, 2008
Hawkinsville, Georgia
Detector(s) used
MPx & BH - Challanger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd check a line path to the out house! on the way to the OH the pants were on the way down, no time to protect the pockets! - when you gotta go - you gotta go!! and in the cellar! DOH!

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used

I'd check a line path to the out house!
It's been frozen on that side of the house, but I can't wait to do so!!!
and in the cellar!
It's still used, and full of wine...I check it all the time ;)

What I haven't mentioned are the two wells, one on the left and one behind the house. One is so old it has a tree about a foot thick growing out of the side. Pretty thin metal covers too. I am going to remove the covers and hit the area around it, and then see what I can do about the inside of it... We shall see!

~Tom

logbuilder

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500

I'd agree on the buckle, horse harness, probably from 'ol Dobbin or Rosie. ;)

By the way, I'm a newbie here, this being my first post. ;D

(ordered a 2500gti this afternoon).

Mike.

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used

logbuilder said:
I'd agree on the buckle, horse harness, probably from 'ol Dobbin or Rosie. ;)

By the way, I'm a newbie here, this being my first post. ;D

(ordered a 2500gti this afternoon).

Mike.

Well Mike, I am honored you decided to post your first on my post! Welcome to TNet, and I (and everyone else) are looking forward to seeing your finds! Thanks for the guess, this seems to be the consensus...

~Tom

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AF,
Congrats on your finds. Cool Ford key! Your finds look a lot like the old farms I hunt. You'll find a LOT of old iron like horseshoes, plow pieces, buckles, etc. If this place hasn't been hunted before, and even if it has, you WILL find old coins soon. I've hit a number of old places, like the one I'm hunting now, that have been detected before. There are still old coins, buttons, CW relics, etc. all over the place. Get ready to have some fun and do a lot of digging. You found a great spot. Some spots that I have found old coins by are:
right by large old trees, areas where people gathered , and where clotheslines used to be. Don't by shy at getting into and around bushes either. Looking forward to you future posts.
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread