Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
QUESTION: If you found an old weathered leather bag (2) with 100+ gold coins in them on somebody else's property in a very rural area with NOTHING around... what would you do? Change the "truth" ... melting them sucks ... selling them leads to questions or could. I'm just curious what some of you think.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I would take my share (your determination) and sell them to coin dealers around the country one at a time, no paper trail, that's the trick. Frank...
coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.jpg

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would depend on what, if any, agreement I had with the actual landowner for letting me on the property and if he/she could be trusted to keep their mouth shut too. What's that old saying? Oh yeah, "Loose lips sink gold laden MDers"!! LMBO!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would depend on what, if any, agreement I had with the actual landowner for letting me on the property and if he/she could be trusted to keep their mouth shut too. What's that old saying? Oh yeah, "Loose lips sink gold laden MDers"!! LMBO!

What if somebody only asked to drive their ATV, or MD, and/or hunt wild game upon their property with no agreement and was then granted permission? Then you discovered something of great value that they had NO IDEA was even there for the past 140+ years? What would you do? I'm not asking what is the RIGHT thing to do.... what should somebody do?

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
QUESTION: If you found an old weathered leather bag (2) with 100+ gold coins in them on somebody else's property in a very rural area with NOTHING around... what would you do? Change the "truth" ... melting them sucks ... selling them leads to questions or could. I'm just curious what some of you think.

Were you on my property again? Keep the leather bag, return my gold.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm keeping them and not telling anyone. No one needs to know what i find.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuff question. Obviously, the "right" thing to do, would be to be upstanding and honest. This said, it would depend on who found this hypothetical treasure, what point of financial life they are living upon discovery, who owns land, etc.
We all hopefully want to do "the right thing" throughout life, yet an abundance of wealth seems to change most!?
I want to experience this change! ;)
Peace

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
What if somebody only asked to drive their ATV, or MD, and/or hunt wild game upon their property with no agreement and was then granted permission? Then you discovered something of great value that they had NO IDEA was even there for the past 140+ years? What would you do? I'm not asking what is the RIGHT thing to do.... what should somebody do?

dam thats tough
no agreement with landowner, and your pretty sure they cant keep a secret
THINGS TO ASK SELF
are the land owners good friends, maybe longtime
how savy are the land owners, have they researched and thought hey maybe
were you looking for this deliberately, or found by chance
now what decision can you live with
FYI, your avi say mid TN, ive been looking for some $$ about that old for 22yr
i think its off the old trace
http://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/upload/NATRmap_336_444_web-2.pdf
somewhere between here
http://goo.gl/maps/GJUMc

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Won't know for sure until that happens. I hope I would do the right thing.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Doing the right thing depends on the particular situation.
In that case, finders keepers, those that don't know are not weepers.
I am so tired of hearing of people that have no idea that something exists coming out of the woodwork to claim it!
Frank...
PS: I think there should be a statute of limitation on claiming some thing that has been found, after the lost date, say 20 years. I think the finder that put forth the effort to find it should own it.
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Here a few weeks ago a woman found a paper bag in a shopping cart that had $72000 in it, There was also some papers and the name of a lawyer. She called the lawyer and returned it.
The problem with Limitool's question is it's abstract and the answers probably have little to do with if it really happened. Like the movie Blood Simple a person really doesn't know what they'd do unless they are well practiced.
You here some say what they'd do if someone broke into their house. That too is abstract because the concept lacks the emotion of fear.
So what's to stop you from keeping something? We know the finders keepers is only for kids and won't hold up in court. That concept isn't recognized there.
Some might want to do "The right thing" out of religious reasons or some concept of Karma where doing the right thing will come back around. Getting caught can be a huge motivator for some.
I think the biggest problem for finding something is that people just can't keep a secret. In the end they will tell someone and then it begins to unravel.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Here a few weeks ago a woman found a paper bag in a shopping cart that had $72000 in it, There was also some papers and the name of a lawyer. She called the lawyer and returned it. The problem with Limitool's question is it's abstract and the answers probably have little to do with if it really happened. Like the movie Blood Simple a person really doesn't know what they'd do unless they are well practiced. You here some say what they'd do if someone broke into their house. That too is abstract because the concept lacks the emotion of fear. So what's to stop you from keeping something? We know the finders keepers is only for kids and won't hold up in court. That concept isn't recognized there. Some might want to do "The right thing" out of religious reasons or some concept of Karma where doing the right thing will come back around. Getting caught can be a huge motivator for some. I think the biggest problem for finding something is that people just can't keep a secret. In the end they will tell someone and then it begins to unravel.

Oh Yes, there is finders keepers, but only if the legal owner can not be found. It falls under the "possession is 9/10 of the law theory." Hay if you don't believe it just ask PUTIN! lol Frank...
pirate.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dam thats tough
no agreement with landowner, and your pretty sure they cant keep a secret
THINGS TO ASK SELF
are the land owners good friends, maybe longtime
how savy are the land owners, have they researched and thought hey maybe
were you looking for this deliberately, or found by chance
now what decision can you live with
FYI, your avi say mid TN, ive been looking for some $$ about that old for 22yr
i think its off the old trace
http://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/upload/NATRmap_336_444_web-2.pdf
somewhere between here
http://goo.gl/maps/GJUMc

If someone only "asked" to hunt, walk around and drive ATV and explore. Owner is not a close friend or has ever been a friend. Rural MEANS rural... nothing round... NOTHNG! YES... somebody might have had an idea of finding / looking for "something" in which they then happened upon. If nobody was "looking" for "it" what would you do?

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
If someone only "asked" to hunt, walk around and drive ATV and explore. Owner is not a close friend or has ever been a friend. Rural MEANS rural... nothing round... NOTHNG! YES... somebody might have had an idea of finding / looking for "something" in which they then happened upon. If nobody was "looking" for "it" what would you do?

keep it and keep my mouth shut, if your close to retirement all the better, nothing like a place in the sun

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy Machrel Limitool!! You should see what I found out Mding on MY OWN RURAL PLACE TODAY!! An old leather bag just flat full of coins. Probably from back when Bonnie and Clyde drove these areas or from back when Old West bank robbers roamed these here parts! Either way, it's found on MY OWN LAND so I have no other problems!! Nuff said!

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's worth 10 million, you could go to the land owners and offer them a million for that certain portion of their land then the cache is yours if you own the land. If they don't want a million dollars then they don't need the cache anyway.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's worth 10 million, you could go to the land owners and offer them a million for that certain portion of their land then the cache is yours if you own the land. If they don't want a million dollars then they don't need the cache anyway.

Or u could just go to ur car, straight home and never tell anyone and u have 10 million for ur self.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one knew it was there before it was found, only one person knows after. Why would you want to invite trouble?
Reverse it, it's on your land someone finds it and you never know. The only way it effects you is "if" you know!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread