Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
​WELL TO ALL YOU SELF RIGHTEOUS ONES OUT THERE … IT COMES DOWN TO FINDERS KEEPERS .. THAT IS THE NAME OF THE GAME … IF YOU DO NOT KNOW THAT SOMETHING IS THERE OR YOU LOST SOMETHING … THAT IS JUST PLAIN TOUGH YOU KNOW TO BAD.. I HAVE IT NOW AND YOU WILL NOT GET IT BACK…..

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
And we wonder why we have a bad reputation in some circles. :)

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Call me self righteous its fine. A confidentiality agreement was unwillingly violated when a buyer told of a person a township and caches thinking the sellers name was what needed concealed. Well meaning but ooops.. The non cachee sold enough to not need to again if reasonable about it but does not what anyone to recover caches on the property. So, for me to research and locate the property,(and even for me it was doable then due to circumstances of sale) it would require A, ask permission and by doing so rat out the buyer as general detecting permission is not going to be granted with owners knowledge of whats there of course, or B trespass which I,m not willing to do. Did wrestle with wanting to locate its exact location but instead told the buyer I,m available if help wanted or needed by owner of property.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
And we wonder why we have a bad reputation in some circles. :)
.. I am sorry to hear you have a bad reputation ….Mine is still just great.. But then i do not tell people things that they need not know .. Then they are happy and so am i..

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Were I to find such it would get relocated if not the current property owners personal cache.Probably split into fractions too with in reason.Once secured any potential future negotiation for whatever reason like pictures of finder on a trail camera or witness(s) leaves finder with the upper hand. If I thought the current landowner was looking for it and bought the land to search he might find a little of it,enough only to think its value was overestimated, though it would likely inspire more searching. Cover any tracks and visit once only,(to late).

The scenario is:
1. Landowner knows NOTHING about coins/treasure being "hidden, stashed or buried" upon his property.
2. He is NOT looking for anything of value.
3. He knows NOTHING about possible cave or piles of rocks hiding ANYTHING being upon his property.
4. He gave permission to hunt, ATV drive, MD and play.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If this person keep their mouth shut the government wouldn't ever know.... I too have morals and feelings and a sense of right and wrong. Those California folks were STUPID. It would be a tough thing to deal with if this happened but maybe not as hard if you can get over the NOBODY WAS LOOKING FOR IT fact.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Long time ago, guy tried to scam me into paying 2500$ for a fake Rolex president, I played dumb, offered him 1000$, to bad for him, since after he got the money and was driving away, yelled that the pawn shop told him it was a fake, but would give him 50$ because it was cool..I say to bad, because not only was the pawnshop trying to scam him, but I sorta did too, because I knew it was real, karma got me in the end, but that's another thread.

I guess its a karma thing, technically it belongs to the land owner...maybe...have oil under my land, but zero mineral rights...bleh, so its hard to say.

Mike

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Long time ago, guy tried to scam me into paying 2500$ for a fake Rolex president, I played dumb, offered him 1000$, to bad for him, since after he got the money and was driving away, yelled that the pawn shop told him it was a fake, but would give him 50$ because it was cool..I say to bad, because not only was the pawnshop trying to scam him, but I sorta did too, because I knew it was real, karma got me in the end, but that's another thread.

I guess its a karma thing, technically it belongs to the land owner...maybe...have oil under my land, but zero mineral rights...bleh, so its hard to say. Mike

"technically it belongs to the land owner".... ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!! No doubt and I'll swear to it. We all know this. But doesn't / wouldn't this SUCK if you have/had "this" problem or situation like this in such a remote place???? How about if it was in a city park and you found 100+ gold coins?? and I mean ALL AT ONCE!!!!!! Do you split it up with the public anymore than the landowner?????

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hrm question, and want opinions, this does not involve me, but some guys here in Michigan, I won't mention names since I'm not a gossip.
But some guys went to look for a very valuable ring lost in a park, big reward was offered, the ring was found, then the owner balked on the reward, so one or two of the guys refused to hand over the ring, but as far as I know, one of the other guys in the group, took and swiped it and returned it to the owner, which caused the group to fall apart.

As a side note, I think its in completely poor taste and makes ALL detectorists look like money hungry greedy ( insert lots a bad words here ) guys.

To hold somebody's item hostage for a reward..is sickening, and I hope them guys from the group read this since they are members here.
Maybe one will speak up, but I doubt it.

Mike

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When the owner of the ring offered the reward... that sent the MD'ers into action looking for something that was announced THERE. When they found the item because they were there looking because of an award offered I'd be upset also at the owner if he offered one and then balked.

So did the owner offer an award.....? OR did the detectorists find it and hold it ransom...?

Your story sounds like the owner of the ring offered an award and then after the successful efforts from others he declined to hold up his end of offer.

"To hold somebody's item hostage for a reward..is sickening" .... I agree with this statement completely.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tough call! If you do a job or work on a car you can hold it till the job or service is paid. So,your right it really depends on how it went.

So, where does it become ransom or collateral is the question!

Wrong..... Did the owner offer an award... Yes or NO? If yes that sent the MD'ers into action. If no and they just found it and then held it for an award that's different. The story says "big reward was offered". So what is it that sent people into action.... THE REWARD... or a find for ransom?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BC1969-take your detectors with you-be safe!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep your mouth shut. Do whatever you want with the coins.

Nowadays if you told the owner you would probably get sued for everything you found, no good deed goes unpunished.

What harm would you do to the owner of the land? He knows nothing of it, wasnt looking for anything, there is no loss or harm done.

Loose lips sink ships, shut up and move on.

AMEN.... If this ever happened I'd feel better with this mindset.

And I'd still like to hear from somebody who feels the landowner should receive some/all/or a percentage of any value of found coins.... and if so... if 2 pouches of coins (100+) were found on public land should "finder" share with public equally? What's the difference between a single landowner and any publicly owned land?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On public land, if I pick up a coin I don't feel obliged to share, it was lost I found it, even if it was a buried cache the person who buried it long dead so it is lost, I find it, not say'n a word!

A reward is offered and I find it, I would be holding it for said reward, I did not make the offer the owner did. Would HE work for nothing?

Like I said before, turn it around, the cache is on your land you know nothing about it, someone finds it you still know nothing about it, it only matters IF you know. I can live with not knowing a cache was recovered on my land, can you? It has a lot to do with circumstances also, it would make a difference if the family was dirt poor or things like that.

Last edited:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
.. I am sorry to hear you have a bad reputation ….Mine is still just great.. But then i do not tell people things that they need not know .. Then they are happy and so am i..

It was a general "we". I don't particularly care what others think about me personally, but I'll bet that they don't think of me as a thief or a liar. Much more importantly, I don't think of myself as a thief or a liar.

If you took someone's property (even if they didn't know that they had it), then yes, they probably should know that. Rationalize it all that you'd like, but don't attempt to convince anyone that this is ethical. It's theft. Just because they don't know about it doesn't mean that it didn't happen. The real question is, how do you justify this act? "Then they are happy and so am I," doesn't work for me personally.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what the heck...I'll bite.

I find the gold...keep quiet..sell carefully.I then take a portion of it and make a cash offer for the land,fair value.If owner bites its a win win.If I like the land I have found a home...if not I sell it even if just under value.I write off the partial loss.

1)I'm fat and happy
2)owner fat and happy
3)person I sold land to...happy
4)thieving govt.....gets screwed

a happy ending and I can sleep well knowing I helped so many folks,realitors,appraisers,coin dealers,escrow offices,also.:occasion14:
cheers

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Publicly owned land.... YOU'RE public. Keep it.
Privately owned land... Sell it off one piece at a time here and there, like others have said. And anonymously gift the landowner whatever you think is fair.
And hope you don't get hassled along the way.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the troll factor. I wonder how many pages this one (of many) will turn into?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread