jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that should make goodwill , & other Thrift store prices go up.
& if it takes off Expect 2 or more copies on other channels :(
I won't be watching. I banned Spike from my TV anyway.
ever since the Rastler

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodwill, the salvation army & most gospel missions, receive donated goods.
Sure the higher the price the more money for their cause!
But I have offered a bit less then the asking price...nope they say!
A little bit of somthin'....

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First in the 80-90'a it was fishing shows for bass and crappie. So everyone started fishing that way. Then came hunting shows, so everyone started rack hunting, leasing land, and making camo a fashion statement. Then came cooking shoes, so everyone thought they were a chef all of the sudden. Then came treasure shows so everyone started running around looking for buried treasure. Then cam metal detecting shows, everyone wanted to metal detect. Now this, for us who do it for a living were screwed now buddy. Every yahoo and his brother will be out their now. But I'm turning this positive, these yahoos will leave my garage sales alone finally!!

But on a bad side, people need to know the difference between worth and value. Which these trenders don't! They see these self serving price fixing shows and think they know. Look at oil stuff, thanks American pickers!! Lets fix the price so we can liquidate all this junk we see sitting everywhere no one want. So they caused a hype for it. All of the sudden you got guys jerking leaking cans off barn shelfs and sticking them on ebay for $80 bucks! No problem there'd but the problem is they are just trash. Landfill items nothing else. Ok my point you get the next yahoo googling the item or thrift store googles the item and first price they see us the yahoos high a!! Price. So they mark it at that instead of the real value then forever and ever that leaky oil can and everyone after that will be $80 bucks!!! Lol if anyone can't tell I HATE these reality tv shows that ruin a great thing. The resell business isn't big enough to support 30 million people doing it. But in hard times they make it look promising, like everywhere has a big score. Which it could, but it's a fixed price that isn't really the real price. Well sorry it's so long but please everyone lets try to get this business back where us real buyers and sellers and true ly interested beginners come out on top. Not these quick buck cowboys.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I lived up in Indiana I had an antiques and collectibles store. By the end of the first year I was also taking some select donations, cleaning out garages and barns in exchange for the merchandise, etc. In the back of the place was a very large room with shelves, microwave, tv, sleeper sofa, fridg, and.......a desk and computer that we lovingly called, "the ebay center", a long workbench next to it that served as the shop shipping department. NOTHING of potential value made it to the floor without being fully researched on ebay first, countless items never even made it to the showroom floor because they were sitting on shelves in the back awaiting the end of their ebay auction. And I also had a relatively long list of buyers that I routinely called whenever I got hold of something that suited their desires, just another reason why many items never made it to the floor. While I was operating this business I came to know several people running Goodwill and Thrift store type operations, "Nearly all of them were operating in much the same fashion." There were several regulars that came in once or twice a week with their cell phones with the intention of buying merchandise for other collectors and resellers, middlemen if you will, whenever they saw an item that they though a client might have interest in they would send them a picture and a text and then wait for the return call, these folks always got discounts. I really miss that business but circumstances involving family illness caused me to close shop and relocate, but given the opportunity I would dive right back into that very same business again. Every day brought something new and interesting into the shop, met a lot of good and interesting folks, also a lot of unscrupulous cut throat types as well, but that was just part of the business tradeoff. So will this new show have a drastic effect on things? In some ways yes, and in some ways no. The idea is nothing new and it's been trending that way for a long time now, so nothing new or earth shattering there. But you will see more people trying to get into the game, but this is a game that has already been well established.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
When I lived up in Indiana I had an antiques and collectibles store. By the end of the first year I was also taking some select donations, cleaning out garages and barns in exchange for the merchandise, etc. In the back of the place was a very large room with shelves, microwave, tv, sleeper sofa, fridg, and.......a desk and computer that we lovingly called, "the ebay center", a long workbench next to it that served as the shop shipping department. NOTHING of potential value made it to the floor without being fully researched on ebay first, countless items never even made it to the showroom floor because they were sitting on shelves in the back awaiting the end of their ebay auction. And I also had a relatively long list of buyers that I routinely called whenever I got hold of something that suited their desires, just another reason why many items never made it to the floor. While I was operating this business I came to know several people running Goodwill and Thrift store type operations, "Nearly all of them were operating in much the same fashion." There were several regulars that came in once or twice a week with their cell phones with the intention of buying merchandise for other collectors and resellers, middlemen if you will, whenever they saw an item that they though a client might have interest in they would send them a picture and a text and then wait for the return call, these folks always got discounts. I really miss that business but circumstances involving family illness caused me to close shop and relocate, but given the opportunity I would dive right back into that very same business again. Every day brought something new and interesting into the shop, met a lot of good and interesting folks, also a lot of unscrupulous cut throat types as well, but that was just part of the business tradeoff. So will this new show have a drastic effect on things? In some ways yes, and in some ways no. The idea is nothing new and it's been trending that way for a long time now, so nothing new or earth shattering there. But you will see more people trying to get into the game, but this is a game that has already been well established.
.. .. At one time you could go to a flee mkt and find a deal but not any more……..big scoop i don't like to tell you this but i do not trust antique & collectible stores and the ones that own them….

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.. .. At one time you could go to a flee mkt and find a deal but not any more……..big scoop i don't like to tell you this but i do not trust antique & collectible stores and the ones that own them….

Keppy, I can't tell you the number the people I know who lost their butts investing in antiques and collectibles. When places like ebay and other online sources started showing suddenly the hard to find wasn't hard to find anymore, the term "rare" seldom meaning what it implied. A lot of long time collectors lost thousands. Today the term "rare" carries a whole new meaning because in this day and age it's pretty rare that you actually find a truly rare item. I use to buy a lot of stuff that walked through the front door, it was common to have people cussing at me under their breath when they stormed out of the place simply because of the low price I had offered them, their sentimental attachment and fantasy about the item or collection's value being way above the actual market value. This happened all the time, even after you showed them 10 or 20 others that you could buy at half their asking on the internet. It's not a blind world anymore when it comes to knowing the real value and demand for things, all one has to do is search the internet. Dealers can't pay market prices if they want to stay in business. Today, as a buyer, you'd better know your stuff if you're buying as an investment.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I guess it's time to pitch the TV out the window, but then I'd probably hit one of the idiots in the head with it!
There must be a massive brain drain in Hollywood! Why would I want to watch all this dribble??????

RJC, that had me ROF- LMAO!!!!

Last edited:

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol your right rare is rare anymore. I've sold one item in 3 years that is actually rare. That was a knapp wood plane. I actually had museum coordinators tell me they never heard of them. Or they were hard to find. The guy who bought it had 1 he was looking for a mate for and he said he bought it 30 years ago and been looking ever since.

It's not people using the interenet to price. No different then a kovels. My problem is alot of people have no idea what they are doing when the set a price off the net. Ill spare it from being repeated. See my last 2 posts about high prices for junk.

backwoods tracker

Jan 2, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but I would much rather live life first hand than to live it vicariously through others on the tube wilst sitting on my butt doing nothing.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's just a passing fad. Give it some time and all the wannabees will go away...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol your right rare is rare anymore. I've sold one item in 3 years that is actually rare. That was a knapp wood plane. I actually had museum coordinators tell me they never heard of them. Or they were hard to find. The guy who bought it had 1 he was looking for a mate for and he said he bought it 30 years ago and been looking ever since.

It's not people using the interenet to price. No different then a kovels. My problem is alot of people have no idea what they are doing when the set a price off the net. Ill spare it from being repeated. See my last 2 posts about high prices for junk.

That is also very true....people look on the web and they see something and they think, "That's what mine is worth!" Have no idea that their item is a knockoff, a reproduction, in poor condition, or even that the information they're looking at may be a couple of years old, etc., etc., etc. That type of thing was also very common, probably even a daily occurrence. I am also a vintage recurve bow collector and I was online the other night looking to see what was up for sale, I saw countless bows that were being offered by people who knew nothing about the product they were selling. On the other hand I saw several quality bows up for sale by knowledgeable people who knew exactly what they were selling. Bow "A" was way overpriced for what it was, bow "B" was too high for my blood because it was indeed a very excellent piece of vintage product. Bow "A" was priced as it was because the seller assumed they had something of the same quality as bow "B". I also deal a lot in vintage southwest jewelry, this same thing is very commonplace there as well. Point is, it's becoming extremely tough now days to find quality resell product, "at an investment price".

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's almost like Hollywood wants everybody to believe they can get rich quick just but finding things and reselling them, with no knowledge of what it is or the value, stupidly reigns supreme!

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to goodwill roday and it was bad, actually been bad last few days. Walking around looking at all the overpriced junk and got a deal today. Audio research wireless waterproof speaker for the deck. Work and came with fresh industrial energizer batteries. Lol took a drill case I found in the trash, donated it for 20% off picked it up for 12.32. Ill makes 30 off it. The massive hordes should have paid more attention instead of drooling over the big lot and dollar store repos. Lol those crack me up it'll have a biglots sticker for clearance at 3 dollars from 25 and goodwill will mark it at 10.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Went to goodwill roday and it was bad, actually been bad last few days. Walking around looking at all the overpriced junk and got a deal today. Audio research wireless waterproof speaker for the deck. Work and came with fresh industrial energizer batteries. Lol took a drill case I found in the trash, donated it for 20% off picked it up for 12.32. Ill makes 30 off it. The massive hordes should have paid more attention instead of drooling over the big lot and dollar store repos. Lol those crack me up it'll have a biglots sticker for clearance at 3 dollars from 25 and goodwill will mark it at 10.

LOL!

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't watch those garbage shows.But they would not be on tv if people did not watch them.I can find alot better things to do.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread