Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been keeping my eye out for a new but inexpensive machine for my nephew. I noticed this site is selling the Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 for $120. Does anyone know anything about it? Apparently that model is being discontinued, which is why the price for that unit is less than the lower end Discovery models (1100 and 2200). Does anyone know anything about this unit? Is Discovery just a brand that BH purchased? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Link:

Search - metal detector

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I disagree. The bounty Hunter was what introduced me to this great hobby. I made enough with it my first 3 months to upgrade to a F2 and then the F5. The Quick Draw 2 is a coin killer when set up right. The only reason I traded up was because it did not have pinpoint or ground balance. I found just as much with it as I have with my F5. I wish I still had it.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The bounty hunter 330 for $120 is a great deal. It is like the Fisher F4. I have a Fisher F4 and used it most of this season. I prefer a double D coil though, but the BH 3300 would be an awesome present and a good beginner detector.

No Quarter

Dec 15, 2014
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not an expert on anything but I got my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for about $70 brand new from Hobby Lobby with their online 40% coupon. Haven't found anything gold or silver yet, but definitely finds coins down to about 6". Only weighs about 2 lbs and the batteries seem to last forever too.

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get him the bounty hunter !!! it's a good starter to get into the hobby without dropping big monies.

My son had one he used for years and found as much as anyone.......he digs everything.

Personally I'm a garrett fan, but I'll give the Bounty Hunter it's due. It's Introduced a lot of people into the hobby.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You would get more and better answers if you would drop down a little to the brands section and click on BOUNTY HUNTERS A lot of users of bounty hunters there … But there are ones that has started with bounty hunters years ago ..And are still using them … and finding some good finds with them … You will always get the ones that will put down the brand of detector they do not use so do not pay much attention to them

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i had a bounty 2200 and that thing was a money maker, i does not have a pin pointer on it, so you have to do the cross method but if you read the directions the thing will find stuff so get it and forget the nay sayers

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have the BH2200 and have found gold, silver, copper and more coins than I can count. I believe BH is a great name and brand that for the money will give many years of enjoyment. I spend more time it seems these days researching for prospecting but always find time to pick up some coin at the local parks.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO, Bounty Hunters are junk.
Sure, many have been introduced to detecting with BH machines. But to those of you that entered metal detecting with a BH, and have since upgraded, would you now recommend a BH to a newbie? I think not.
Many better machines are available for same price.
Just my thoughts...
Peace ✌

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
IMHO, Bounty Hunters are junk.
Sure, many have been introduced to detecting with BH machines. But to those of you that entered metal detecting with a BH, and have since upgraded, would you now recommend a BH to a newbie? I think not.
Many better machines are available for same price.
Just my thoughts...
Peace ✌

Curious, which BH models are you familiar with? I had a great time, learning the hobby with mine. Maybe it was operator error?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a BH expert.
My reply, since reviewed, is off topic. I apologize.
Yet, other, more capable detectors are available within same price range.
Peace ✌

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too started with a Bounty Hunter SharpShooter II. It found me a lot of good stuff, silver, gold, relics, coins, etc. I then began to question (like most) it's depth capability. Upgraded to a new detector, new sites, found a lot more good stuff and never looked back. But if I honestly think about it, everything I found with my newer detectors was just as deep as with the BH. On average 4-5 inches max! Yes I have found coins a lot deeper than that, could the BH have found them, no idea? Are they junk? To each their own. Would I go out and by another one, no. Would I recommend one to a new detectorist? Sure why not. Cheap enough, easy enough, does it's job, and gives the person the ability to decide whether the hobby is indeed for him/her without breaking the bank. And by the way, there is a gentleman in my club that uses a BH. You should check out his collection over the past 10 years. Would blow you away. GL HH Mike

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not a BH expert.
Peace ✌
You see what i mean ones will put down a detector brand they never used all they know about it is what they hear………. You know follow the leader blindly …… But now the Bounty hunters put out some really good detectors …And there older models work fine..

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I firmly disagree. Sure many have been introduced to metal detecting with a BH. But since becoming acclimated with metal detecting, would you recommend a BH as a starter machine? I wouldn't.
Yet, to contradict myself, any machine that introduces a person to MDing is good.
Everything I just said is meaningless.
Peace ✌

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I firmly disagree. Sure many have been introduced to metal detecting with a BH. But since becoming acclimated with metal detecting, would you recommend a BH as a starter machine? I wouldn't.
Yet, to contradict myself, any machine that introduces a person to MDing is good.
Everything I just said is meaningless.
Peace ✌

It's ok I feel your pain!:laughing7:

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What i have to say is that the Bounty Hunter any of the Lone Star models or the Quick draw model or platinum …. Is as good as any low cost Tesoro , Garrett , Whites , or Fisher detector , And will do as good as any of those…

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
land-ranger-pro-faceplate.jpg ….. quick-draw-pro-faceplate.jpg bounty-hunter-platinum.jpg And of course i always did like this little guy as a logo. old-bounty-hunter-logo.jpg

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any machine is better than no machine, all have advantages and disadvantages, and it depends on what they will be hunting. Everybody seems hung up on visual displays these days and I know for certain that I found more gold rings before I began using that myself. BH makes good entry level coin and ring machines, and for a beginner it is best to keep it simple. I still occasionally pull out an old BFO machine if I'm hunting gold chains as there is none other better for that job. Even a Tracker IV with the dual tone would be my pick if I were getting one for someone to try this hobby out. Just my two cents worth.

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not a BH expert.
Peace ✌
Really! WHAT other "more capable detector" would you recommend, "within same price range" ? I believe the man said $120, which by the way is a good price for that model BH. I have seen used ones sell for that or more.
To respond to original post.....I am not a BH expert, but I have used and still own three different models of BHs (EX, QD11, and Land star), all of them still work perfectly, with no issues at all. I have had the Bounty hunter EX for roughly four years, the Quick draw II and the Land star for two + years. I don't personally have any experience with a 3300, however, I did talk with a fellow just this past summer who was using one at a local park. He told me he was strictly a "coin shooter", and that he really loved using his 3300 for that. It appeared to me that he was doing quite well with it. The 3300, to me, appears to be a simple to operate/user friendly detector, more than capable of doing what it was designed for, and for $120 a good deal!
Now, back to the "haters"......IMHO boys, the words "crap" and "junk" were used carelessly and were totally unnecessary. Again, IMHO, crap or junk describes something that does not work. For example, a hammer with a broken handle might be called a piece of crap, or junk. Is a wood handled hammer a piece of crap just because it is not as durable as an all steel hammer? Is it junk because it doesn't have a rubber grip? Is it a junk piece of crap because it has a large head, is heavy and designed for framing, more than capable for that task but maybe not so good for finish work. IMHO, any hammer that is not broken, works as it should, for what it was designed for, IS NOT crap or junk, and in the hand of a man using it correctly it will be capable of accomplishing the tasks it was intended to be used for. Hammers are specialized tools produced for specific tasks. As such, there are many different types, sizes, lengths, weights, ect. , each designed for a specific task or tasks. To openly, publicly, carelessly demean or degrade a particular brand based on opinion, would be, IMHO (lol), ignorant, biased, thoughtless, all the afore mentioned, or maybe just plain rude. If you owned a metal detector and was not satisfied with it, I fully believe you to have every right to express your displeasure with said detector. I just honestly believe you could do so without being rude. Example...."I owned a so and so detector, I didn't like mine because...." Please don't be offended, that's just my humble opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions