✅ SOLVED Any Ideas what this Brass item is??

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I found two of these items--flat brass items with two holes for rivets/nails in them. They looked at the time like they would have some sort of stamping on them, but both are plain... The older one has some design and it is cast. It also has a part of an old nail still in one hole of it...

2008 8-14 001.jpg

2008 8-14 003.jpg

2008 8-14 002.jpg

I found this one online that was stamped "CS" from a CW camp--the finder at the site says that it's a "watch fob" but it obviously isn't...and it's the same dimensions as the plain oval one I found (pictured above). I'm not suggesting that these are war related, but I'm just wondering what the heck they are... :icon_scratch:

CS disk.jpg

http://www.midtenrelics.com/buttons.htm (See #2, second photo...)

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Gypsy Heart said:
Didnt most flintlock pistols have rounded endcaps?

Yeah--good point. I've been looking at them, and it seems that most all of them did... So this idea might be a dead end. :-\

I'll pretty much guarantee it's a dead end.

Upvote 0

AZ-Mtnman

Jul 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I'd beg to differ, if that was an end-cap, it wouldn't be flat. Even being made out of brass and after all this time, if they did wind up flat, they would more than likely end up with splits or distorted. There were decrotive pieces put opposite of the locks on most guns of the time, but these look too small for that purpose. Most of the ones I've seen on this post would fit into the decorations on the forearms on most rifles. Most only had them tieing into the pins that held that barrel, but I've seen where they doubled the decoration and added other badges to the fore-arm. From the way these look, especially the CS, it looks like something that was added just below the tang.

Upvote 0

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
hello BuckleBoy i have found more than a few of these and wondered what they might have gone to as well all of mine were recovered from late colonial to early federal homesites and all have somekind of stamped or engraved design to here's a picture of the latest two i picked up this year .Dan

Attachments

• tags 1.JPG
    tags 1.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 5,268
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen this type of tag used on old trunks and suitcases as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leddel,

Thanks so much for posting yours. I think it is interesting that you have the same two basic shapes as any of the ones I've found... the oblong shape and the oval shape. The time frame for these seems to be late colonial era up through early 1800s.

It seems that their use was widespread--civilian, military, in the USA, as well as abroad (as can be seen on the link Gypsy provided in her reply).

I agree with Fast Dave that because of the countersinking, they probably would've been riveted to something (are we thinking horse tack here?) The old square nail in mine would seem to speak otherwise, but I agree about the nail not being flush with the top anyhow--so why make the brass that way.. Mine could've been a later use for the object--in which it was nailed after the rivets came loose...

Does anyone else have one with iron markings from nails in them? If not, rivets are probably the way to go.

About the furniture pieces...how many pieces of decorative furniture were in single-slung log cabins in the Western Frontier of KY and Indiana in the early 1800s? I'm pretty sure that there weren't many elaborate pieces. If these had a keyhole in them, we'd know easily what they were... I also can't imagine a piece or decoration like that which would not survive in some form or another in later furniture decorations--especially in the florid Victorian-Era furnishings. So I'm inclined to say (still) either horse-tack or weapon-related.

AZ--can you find a photo of one on a rifle or musket?

Gypsy Heart said:
I still think they are decorative personal id plates.......
http://www.historygateway.co.uk/history-tudor-artifacts.html

Yes, one is listed as a "personal ID tag" there--and it is the oval variety with the two holes and the edge markings.

I guess my issue with this ID is that of all of these that have been found, none of them which appear posted online, or those found by other Tnet members has a name or initials on it--so it really isn't an ID tag... And I really wonder if the history gateway site has the ID correct.

:-\

These are just my hunches--online photos are sparse, and there really isn't much on these items. I don't know really what I'm looking for here, besides a photo of one of these attached to some leather or wood, or perhaps just the idea that fits the best...

And maybe it'll be the type of thing that after 50 replies we'll be back at horse tack... I don't know. But I do think that with as many of these as have been found and are being found, someone has to know something.

:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creskol said:
I have seen this type of tag used on old trunks and suitcases as well.

Can you find a photo? I'd love to see one if you can find a photo.

Thanks for your reply,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AZ-Mtnman said:
Hey BB, here's a pretty good pic of what I was talking about. Keep in mind that with any other type of decoration, they can come in a variety of styles. http://www.krusemuzzleloaders.com/Dove convertible Bethlehem Rifle.htm

AZ,

Thanks for the link. :)

I'm not certain that's what we've got here though. I'm quite familiar with the decoration on the bottom of the stock, as well as the side decoration--which was frequently serpent-shaped. I've dug examples of both types before. I do see those little ovals on the side of the rifle though--is that what you're referring to? I've also dug pieces of the trigger guard and lock mechanism from early guns before.

Too bad they don't have a close-up of those oval pieces. They look a little too small compared to the examples pictured above in the post, but they are the same shape. :)

I have a good friend in Virginia who builds muskets (at least I think he still does). I may give him a call and send him a photo.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Rob-IL

Jan 17, 2006
I have also found these at early 1800s sites. I was told several years ago that they are early saddle disk. Now exactly what a saddle disk function is, "I have no idea". If you look closely at the tapered hole you will see it's not perfect as the brass was poured into a mold in which the taper was formed into, then a thin web was punched out for the complete hole. I'm satisfied they are from somewhere in the 1790 to 1830 +-.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rob-IL said:
I have also found these at early 1800s sites. I was told several years ago that they are early saddle disk. Now exactly what a saddle disk function is, "I have no idea". If you look closely at the tapered hole you will see it's not perfect as the brass was poured into a mold in which the taper was formed into, then a thin web was punched out for the complete hole. I'm satisfied they are from somewhere in the 1790 to 1830 +-.

Rob,

Thanks for your reply. I'm confident in the date range too...

I was unable to find anything about a "saddle disc" anywhere on line... :-\

You're right about the holes in the pieces--and their construction.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Buckleboy,I had never seen one of these oval pieces until i saw it on your post last night. I couldn't believe it when one turned up for me tonight within a foot or so of this St Joseph piece. Sorry if I'm only adding to the mystery. This comes from the same cellarhole site that has produced an 1865 Two center,1865 IH and 1868 IH and a no date "Fatty" IH and it came from the "path" to a sandstone lined springhouse just across a ravine from the cellarhole. No identifying marks that I can see without cleaning it up better but after scratching the edge I can definitely tell it's brass...
Jerry

Attachments

• St.Joseph1.JPG
    St.Joseph1.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 5,000
  • St Joseph2.JPG
    St Joseph2.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 4,961
Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
could it be a decorative tag from a boot? I've seen newer versions that the laces on a boot towards the toe, would weave through the holes to keep it attached to the boot, or possible an ID tag from the bottom of a boot. In vietnam, they attached dog tags to their boots to help in ID'ing bodies

Sniffer

Upvote 0

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
I knew I had one that looked pretty close. I thought mine was an adornment from a horses bridle or a saddle.

Attachments

• IMG_0600.JPG
    IMG_0600.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 4,876
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Not convinced it's saddle tack after looking at hundreds of antique saddles and bridles but here's an oval shaped piece of hardware from an antique saddle that shows a resemblance :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• saddle tack.jpg
    saddle tack.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 4,772
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohio Jerry said:
Not convinced it's saddle tack after looking at hundreds of antique saddles and bridles but here's an oval shaped piece of hardware from an antique saddle that shows a resemblance :icon_scratch:

But are the saddles you're looking at over 150 years old? Things tend to change slightly over time.

Upvote 0

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Iron Patch said:
Ohio Jerry said:

But are the saddles you're looking at over 150 years old? Things tend to change slightly over time.
good point Ironpatch.This is a McClelland saddle dated 1904 which is still probably 50 years too new

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions