Any last minute tips...

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm reasonably new to beach hunting. I've tried it a few times with a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Whites DFX. Mostly dry and wet sand only. I recently purchased a large long handle scoop and a used Minelab Excalibur 1000 so I'm off to the outer banks next week. I'm hoping to try some surf hunting for the first time.

I'll be in Corolla, NC. Any tips on beach or surf hunting, the Excalibur or the Corolla area would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows of a good tide website so I can get some up to date accurate tide charts for next week it would be great.

Thanks

NJ

Upvote 0

LarryinVT

Greenie
Oct 16, 2007
Waterville, VT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
N.J.THer said:
I'm reasonably new to beach hunting. I've tried it a few times with a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Whites DFX. Mostly dry and wet sand only. I recently purchased a large long handle scoop and a used Minelab Excalibur 1000 so I'm off to the outer banks next week. I'm hoping to try some surf hunting for the first time.

I'll be in Corolla, NC. Any tips on beach or surf hunting, the Excalibur or the Corolla area would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows of a good tide website so I can get some up to date accurate tide charts for next week it would be great.

Thanks

NJ

Try these sites for local weather and tides:

http://www.summerparadiseobx.com/body_weather.html
http://surfreport.corollasurfshop.com/

I had good luck on Whalehead Beach last week bu have been pretty much shut out since last Wednesday. If lead fishing weights were gold I'd have a nice pile of loot - so far I've accumulated 6 pounds of them! But, the past few days the beaches have sanded in and the best I could do is a few pennies and pop tops. We're here till Saturday and I'm hoping things'll change before we leave - I'd like to see some more gold.

Good Luck!

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey NJ. The only thing I can tell you that may help is that you have to hunt areas where there is lots of swim activity and sunbathing going on. I have never been to the outer banks and can't picture the beaches there but in my mind, I can't see lots of swimming going on there. I may be very wrong. I am embarrassed to say that I lived in NC for 8 years and never made it to the outer banks.

If you do find a swim beach, I focus on an area from knee deep to waist deep and I do quite well. When the tide goes out, I work the wet sand near the shore. I usually just get in the water at about waist deep and move parallel to the coast as far as I believe I can handle for a return trip and then I move in to just above knee deep for the return trip. I normally go a mile or so down and then return if the swim area of the beach I am working is large enough to do that.

Good luck!

DaChief

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
I tried in just south of Corolla in the dry sand and did lousy. People do make great finds there though. The best advice I can give is that safety is more of a concern. Many of the outer banks beaches I have been to there is very often bad riptides and also bad currents running north to south so bad its scary. Also there are more rays and sharks there compared to Jersey and many of the beaches are not guarded. I don't think Corolla is nearly as bad as it is around Cape Point but I know it is illegal South of Whalebone Junction to metal detect. Nagshead I think would be better concentration of fresh drops only because it is most populated. There are miles of beach there with few people.
Good Luck! Pray for calm the wind is always blowing there. If it blows from the west it might get good.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one of the very best websites for beach reports, called Magic Seaweed. I have set it for you for Kitty Hawk which is the closest point to Corolla NC, just a few miles away from it.

Magic Seaweed gives you the tides and more importantly the swells height, direction and duration between each swell, wind direction and speeds and temperature.

http://magicseaweed.com/Kitty-Hawk-Surf-Report/677/

Don't know if you have ever been here, The Golden Olde, if not read up on the beach hunting links, it is by far one of the best.....

http://thegoldenolde.com/oldego3.htm

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Your going to love the excal, and don't let the tones scare you, if you have questions ask here or IM me........I have both the Excal 1000, and 2 Sovereign GTs, one of which is waterproofed for surf hunting. I had 2 Excals, but sold one when I got the waterproofed Sov GT...

Good luck and good hunting.................. :thumbsup:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get your hands on every book and article ever written by Andy Sabisch. He is a master at reading beaches and determining how the current is running at the time you are there. His book Advanced Water Working Techniques tells how to use a bunch of fishing bobbers to find out exactly how and where the current is running at the surface of the sand not the surface of the water. Rings and other valuables don't float.

Checkout his stuff.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone,
Thank you for the great websites and tips. I've never seen that website 'thegoldenolde'...lots of information. I'm at work now so I can't read it all but I'll have to take a long look at it tonight. I've never read any of Andy Sabisch books but I will check him out. I will not get to it before this trip but I have all summer (and the rest of my life) to play with the excal and learn more about beach hunting.
Thanks again
NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread