Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
btw OP sorry about hi jacking your thread but if you post and ask opinions about different brands you will get this a lot the time. I'm not a garrett user anymore did start with a at pro and did well with it too, I have had a minelab ctx too and didn't care for it. I currently own a deus and love it.. For the money imo the equinox hands down is the better buy for the features it offers. Changing freq is a BIG deal but most don't have experience with it because its a newer tech that's being built it to detectors. Some detectors will do it now deus,v3i, and xterra but on the exterra you have to change coils. Changing freq is a advanced topic but great benefits are reaped from being able to do so much less being able to run multiple freq at one time but that's a advance user topic too. If you buy a detector with these features you can grow into it but if you buy one without it your STUCK at one point .. and cant grow past it. Hope this helps now go over on the minelab forum and post this post and see what happens.

No worries about any hijack. I'm a lawyer so I enjoy the passionate debates. The thread has been very informative, someone posted about PI vs. VLF so I had to look that up, etc. The purpose of the thread was basically to see if there was a reason not to purchase an AT Max, not to change to a different detector, unless there were some glaring issues with the AT Max. So far, I have not heard any, either here or on other forums from people who have used them. While I have no doubt the equinox, dues, and other are great detectors nothing really has swayed me from the AT Max at this point. All in all I will most likely have the AT Max for a couple of years, pass it down to my son and get the latest and greatest at that time, for all I know it could be an equinox or another.

I will say, I do like to see that the debate was allowed to take place. I have seen some overly moderated forums and glad this is not one of them.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I predict that the Minelab Equinox will be released next March
Since it was announced in September

83A45685-50B2-4B86-B0A7-E5E4990E86A4.jpeg

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries about any hijack. I'm a lawyer so I enjoy the passionate debates. The thread has been very informative, someone posted about PI vs. VLF so I had to look that up, etc. The purpose of the thread was basically to see if there was a reason not to purchase an AT Max, not to change to a different detector, unless there were some glaring issues with the AT Max. So far, I have not heard any, either here or on other forums from people who have used them. While I have no doubt the equinox, dues, and other are great detectors nothing really has swayed me from the AT Max at this point. All in all I will most likely have the AT Max for a couple of years, pass it down to my son and get the latest and greatest at that time, for all I know it could be an equinox or another.

I will say, I do like to see that the debate was allowed to take place. I have seen some overly moderated forums and glad this is not one of them.

You wont go wrong with the garrett some of us are more technical hunters though (and like programmable machines) and hunt in VERY competitive areas (for me its relics) and need every inch of depth and separation advantage I can get in hopes of finding a relic missed by the other guy. I started with a at pro and it is a solid machine that will find stuff..so I bet the max is a solid performer too . Garrett has took care of me on my pin pointer issues. Some people like simple and the garrets are that and give good performance too for what they are. Are there better performers ? yes the machine I use now outperforms them but the learning curve is more and not everybody needs that type of performance. I need to remember that everyone is not in the race im in where I live where the sites are disappearing and the relics are becoming fewer . Good luck on your new machine and let us know what you find.

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. Yeah, at this point if I find some coins I'll be happy. Got some decent beaches here with Lake Erie and there will always be metal in the sand after a weekend so its a "renewable resource" :) For me at this time its about the hunt and the exercise. I sit on my butt all day and by no means am overweight but getting out and about moving more can never hurt.

DetectorMoe

Apr 4, 2013
SouthEast North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox800, ATpro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My option, Don't know, ATmax that I never used yet, But I have ATpro and found tons of good stuff. I have found dime size targets pretty deep, around 10 inches.. Now for Minelab detectors, I had a Safari, A real good beach detector, But not very good finding gold targets. I think the equinox is just another Safari... Just my opinion..

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My option, Don't know, ATmax that I never used yet, But I have ATpro and found tons of good stuff. I have found dime size targets pretty deep, around 10 inches.. Now for Minelab detectors, I had a Safari, A real good beach detector, But not very good finding gold targets. I think the equinox is just another Safari... Just my opinion..

Get ready to duck ;)

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say the Equinox is hyped, but I didn't say it was hyped by Minelab. A guy jumping out of a plane is a bit much, but it's some people on these forums that are building it up to be something great, long before it's even released. That's the hype I'm talking about. Another forum had it's own section the very day it was announced!!

Like most others, I will wait to see what real users say. The season is over now for me, so I've got all winter to sit back and watch the videos. The specs look good, but I want to see real time hunts in parks with dense aluminum trash along with iron, since that's where I hunt.

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. Yeah, at this point if I find some coins I'll be happy. Got some decent beaches here with Lake Erie and there will always be metal in the sand after a weekend so its a "renewable resource" :) For me at this time its about the hunt and the exercise. I sit on my butt all day and by no means am overweight but getting out and about moving more can never hurt.

Man, this has been one entertaining thread to watch! It also just dawned on me that I never actually offered my own opinion. I have a Max. It's my first machine, I can't compare it to any other machine. I like the Max. It's gotten me out of the house and is a good excuse to look for new places to explore.

That said, however, it hasn't been some amazing wonder-machine either. The stock coil is too big and clunky for my needs and isn't nearly as precise as the 5x8. And awhile the machine is balanced better than the Pro, the stock coil still adds too much weight for my preferences. And changing the batteries is a bit cumbersome as well. The battery cover is a bit tough to remove (which I can forgive, given that it had to maintain a watertight sea), and the battery holder, as well, likes to hold on to the batteries a bit too tightly for my fingers to handle; I always have to pry them out with a screwdriver. More than that, the battery holder lacks any indication of which side is up, when inserting it. I have to look at the contacts and make sure they're properly oriented each time I go to insert it.

Lastly, the cable connectors are in the worst possible position imaginable. I've had the connector come unscrewed a few times just because it's so difficult to get s good grip on it when tightening it up. The actual connections suck too, having to be lined up just right or you run the risk of bending or a breaking a pin.

So again, while I like the Max a lot, if the review for the Nox match all the testing experiences I've seen for it, I'll be dumping my Max in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A9 - Do you have a local store you can go to and check out some machines?
What people say on the net is nice but until you hold it in your hands, swing it a little, see the display and hear the beeps... its all he said she said.

Good luck on your search! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, this has been one entertaining thread to watch! It also just dawned on me that I never actually offered my own opinion. I have a Max. It's my first machine, I can't compare it to any other machine. I like the Max. It's gotten me out of the house and is a good excuse to look for new places to explore.

That said, however, it hasn't been some amazing wonder-machine either. The stock coil is too big and clunky for my needs and isn't nearly as precise as the 5x8. And awhile the machine is balanced better than the Pro, the stock coil still adds too much weight for my preferences. And changing the batteries is a bit cumbersome as well. The battery cover is a bit tough to remove (which I can forgive, given that it had to maintain a watertight sea), and the battery holder, as well, likes to hold on to the batteries a bit too tightly for my fingers to handle; I always have to pry them out with a screwdriver. More than that, the battery holder lacks any indication of which side is up, when inserting it. I have to look at the contacts and make sure they're properly oriented each time I go to insert it.

Lastly, the cable connectors are in the worst possible position imaginable. I've had the connector come unscrewed a few times just because it's so difficult to get s good grip on it when tightening it up. The actual connections suck too, having to be lined up just right or you run the risk of bending or a breaking a pin.

So again, while I like the Max a lot, if the review for the Nox match all the testing experiences I've seen for it, I'll be dumping my Max in a heartbeat.

Thanks for that review. Can I ask how long you've been using it?

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A9 - Do you have a local store you can go to and check out some machines?
What people say on the net is nice but until you hold it in your hands, swing it a little, see the display and hear the beeps... its all he said she said.

Good luck on your search! :occasion14:

Sadly no, none that I could find. Loco-Digger has offer to let me use one of his machines and teach me the ropes but no place to try out various different machines :(

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sadly no, none that I could find. Loco-Digger has offer to let me use one of his machines and teach me the ropes but no place to try out various different machines :(

You are a lucky man! He has some nice machines, finds some cool stuff and has a lot of knowledge in this field. He helped me out when I was starting out.

A local store is a huge plus. On the net everything looks and sounds good but when you have it in your hand, things change.

Good luck to you and we will look for your "First Silver" post! :occasion14:

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Can I ask how long you've been using it?"

Can't be that long. They've only been available for a couple of months.

How can it be better balanced than the ATPro?

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally I would have no use for the machine, but from the specs it would be alright to start off a young child, teen on or maybe a handicap adult. My son is big on the AT series, has a Pro, Gold and Max with Nel and Mar coils, he seems to like it. My 11 year old daughter had started on the Gold but moved over to the Tesoro Cortes and Tiger Shark.

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Can I ask how long you've been using it?"

Can't be that long. They've only been available for a couple of months.

How can it be better balanced than the ATPro?

You're right about how long I've been using it. Got mine mid-Sept
ember.

As for the balance? Honestly, I have no idea. My friend has a pro and when he and I met up the other day, I grabbed ahold of it to see how the foam grip felt. It was so nose-heavy, I had to fight it from pulling my hand downward when I was holding it straight out. We were both using the 5x8 coils, so I have no idea. But he noticed a major difference as well when he was holding the Max. Perhaps they switched to a thinner gauge (internal) wire for the coil or a different sealing epoxy that reduced its weight. Or maybe a different, lighter plastic for the lower shaft. I have no idea. But the difference between the two was drastic.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having owned an AT Pro for a couple of years and an F75, I just couldn't deal with 90+% of the detector weight in front of my hand. The F75 weighs 1/2 LB more than the AT Pro yet because of the way the weight is distributed on it, it seems like it weighs 1lb less. A9 - the Max will find you anything you are looking for. as most detectors at the Max price point will and perhaps Garrett addressed the AT Pro's weight distribution issue (even though the Max's form factor remains about the same) But I encourage you to test drive a couple of detectors to see which one you will still enjoy swinging after a 3 to 4 hour detecting session.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually I think he was talking about the 5x7 DD which isn't a "sniper" coil. And in my area with 90% of the targets being within 5" of the surface, depth is not quite as critical. I actually prefer using the 5x7 over the 8x11. I honestly only use the larger coil if my small one has an issue or I need to try to get deeper (which in my case is not very often).

Might I ask how you estimate the % of objects depth in your area ?

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say the Equinox is hyped, but I didn't say it was hyped by Minelab.

Minelab release - Note the part about "obsoletes all single frequency VLF detectors" ...

minelab-equinox-metal-detector-email-flyer.jpg.e58fc7dba793c24cb75f0b59b7b8d39e.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread