Any reason NOT to get an AT Max?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey A9, I will stay out of the debate, as I did with my brother-in-law, you need to get what suits you and not get all tied up in the Ford vs Chevy debate. I hope you've watched plenty of videos of detectors from $500 on up to the CTX 3030.

I use the kellyco site when I compare machines specifications, you can select up to 4 and review all 4 side by side. You can't go wrong with a high end machine from the big name manufacturers.

If you wanted to start detecting today there is a great detector for $150 which would make a great back-up or something your wife could use if she decides that she might enjoy the hobby. It's in Norwalk, a BH LRP. I had one, very light and yet deep and comes with the stock DD coil. It has many of the bells and whistles that come standard on more expensive detectors or you can borrow my F2 or F70 one of these days.

Many of us get caught up in the hype of a new machine, I must admit that I was one of them, but have evolved into wanting to invest all my time in on my main machine (Fisher's flagship the F75LTD) and be the best at one instead of being so-so on many. From what I've read VLF technology reached it's threshold about a decade ago, so the newer machines are coming out with wireless headphones, better coils, waterproof/weather proof, and maybe a few more options to tweak them.

The XP deus is a great machine also, many of my die-hard detecting buddies own one and others swing the CTX 3030..

There are Garrett, XP Deus, Minelab, Nokta, Makro, Whites, Teknetics, and yes a cult following of Tesoro users. All make good machines.

Here is my opinion of the AT Max vs the AT Pro. The Max runs a better frequency IMHO and has a built in z-link wireless head phone set-up.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I had used the Kellyco site before. I did see the CTX 3030 (looks like the one the guy on Oak Island uses) but didn't want to drop $2,000 on the first machine.

Just check the weather and looks like this weekend is going to suck, 100% of rain Saturday and this Sunday my family is doing Thanksgiving and the following weekend in rain/snow :( Definitely want to try linking up with you before we get into the holidays and it gets too cold (learning a new hobby freezing is never fun, plus I'm a freeze baby; give me hot and sunny any day over the cold) but not looking good. On the plus side, if its early Spring before we link up, I'll have had a couple weeks of cutting holes in my backyard and will have had some practice :D

After all the looking, I think I am more and more set on the AT Max. I have yet to read a review of someone who purchased one that did not like it (same goes for many of the other machines too), but I had been eyeing the AT Pro for years and not that I am going to get a machine, it is just logical to take that next step to the Max after being set on the Pro.

I am HOPING the wife would want to give it a shot. Once I bring home some finds she might want to get involved as well.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Armour9, I'm a sponsoring dealer so some might think I'm biased.

I've had an ATPro before I moved to the Fisher f75 ltd, then to the CTX3030 and XP Deus. I'm now using the AT Max along with the CTX3030 and XP Deus. I really like the Max for it's simplicity and features at the price point. I'm finding that I'm digging more targets at depth, and finding very small targets that may have eluded some of my other detectors without proper settings. I really like using the optional 5X8 coil, it helps the balance and is easier for me to pinpoint. I absolutely love the wireless headphones.

For me , a detector is a tool in the toolbox, that's one reason a lot of us have more than one unit. This is definitely one of my tools for the foreseeable future. Pictures show how small silver can be and also a photo of a seeded competition hunt.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510784913.063264.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510784935.990210.jpg
Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Last edited:

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any reason not to get the AT Max

Yes I have a XP Deus :)

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Armour9, I'm a sponsoring dealer so some might think I'm biased.

I've had an ATPro before I moved to the Fisher f75 ltd, then to the CTX3030 and XP Deus. I'm now using the AT Max along with the CTX3030 and XP Deus. I really like the Max for it's simplicity and features at the price point. I'm finding that I'm digging more targets at depth, and finding very small targets that may have eluded some of my other detectors without proper settings. I really like using the optional 5X8 coil, it helps the balance and is easier for me to pinpoint. I absolutely love the wireless headphones.
Wayne

Thanks for the response. Interesting what you wrote, that you are finding smaller stuff at deeper depth; that is what I have been reading from several reviews across the web. And the wireless headphones are also a selling feature for me as well. I didn't want to get wrapped up in cords, having to take off/put on when digging, etc.

While people here have talked about many detectors that I have also read are quite good the Max sounds like it on par as well. I don't think that I could go wrong with any of them, but sounds like it will be the max for me. I'm looking forward to getting a few months of use and being able to write a review here as well.

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wayne, BTW, how well do you find the depth gauge is at judging the correct depth of an object?

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seriously most mid-range to high-end machines are good to go. Either Garret, MineLab or XP whatever you choose I would go the next model up so you don't outgrow your new machine to fast. Think about where you will be hunting IE: Parks? Old home sites? Coin hunting only? That will help you narrow down the right machine for you. Also keep in mind the weight of the machine. Swinging a machine for 8 plus hours is no fun with a heavy machine. Also see what coils are around for said machine sinc coil size makes a big difference in depth and seperation

Farma

Nov 26, 2012
Farmington, Maine
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Tigershark & Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth is what ever you get you will more then likely learn to use it and like it. Get what you want not what someone else says you want. It will be yours and you will enjoy using it. All of them go beep beep when your over a coin.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayne, BTW, how well do you find the depth gauge is at judging the correct depth of an object?

The depth is fairly accurate if it's a coin sized target. I find that pinpoint depth is most accurate, and I usually pinpoint from two 90 degree directions. If it's a larger target like a can or axe head, most detectors will show it much shallower than real world.

Wayne

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey A9, I will stay out of the debate, as I did with my brother-in-law, you need to get what suits you and not get all tied up in the Ford vs Chevy debate. I hope you've watched plenty of videos of detectors from $500 on up to the CTX 3030.

I use the kellyco site when I compare machines specifications, you can select up to 4 and review all 4 side by side. You can't go wrong with a high end machine from the big name manufacturers.

If you wanted to start detecting today there is a great detector for $150 which would make a great back-up or something your wife could use if she decides that she might enjoy the hobby. It's in Norwalk, a BH LRP. I had one, very light and yet deep and comes with the stock DD coil. It has many of the bells and whistles that come standard on more expensive detectors or you can borrow my F2 or F70 one of these days.

Many of us get caught up in the hype of a new machine, I must admit that I was one of them, but have evolved into wanting to invest all my time in on my main machine (Fisher's flagship the F75LTD) and be the best at one instead of being so-so on many. From what I've read VLF technology reached it's threshold about a decade ago, so the newer machines are coming out with wireless headphones, better coils, waterproof/weather proof, and maybe a few more options to tweak them.

The XP deus is a great machine also, many of my die-hard detecting buddies own one and others swing the CTX 3030..

There are Garrett, XP Deus, Minelab, Nokta, Makro, Whites, Teknetics, and yes a cult following of Tesoro users. All make good machines.

Here is my opinion of the AT Max vs the AT Pro. The Max runs a better frequency IMHO and has a built in z-link wireless head phone set-up.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Actually, the best advice I have seen yet in this whole thread.

I think, Armor9, you may be the exception to the rule regarding recommendations on a first time machine. Armor9, correct me if I am wrong, but you have made reference to being an attorney. As a professional attorney, perhaps you are not significantly income limited (again just an inference, correct me if I am wrong), so the actual penalty to you personally would be small, but I would never recommend to a new detectorist to necessarily get a mid-level detector like the AT Max as a first detector. The new detectorist, might be better served with a lower end but capable detector model such as Loco Digger suggested until (1) they are sure the hobby is for them (many folks get quickly discouraged as the dream of plentiful treasures unburied fades into the reality of thousands of pop top, foil, pull tab, iron nail recoveries and the need for advil pez dispensers after their first multi-hour swing and dig session collecting all that trash and a few clad coins and then abandon the hobby as quickly as they came, while others stay, get the fever and build their obsessive-compulsive detector collections - lol). Minimal investment, minimal loss, and perhaps a lighter weight detector is the objective here and (2) they have figured out which aspect of the hobby best appeals to them (e.g., fresh dry beach hunting, freshwater hunting (lakes and streams), salt dry beach hunting, surf hunting, dive hunting, park hunting for coils and jewelry, relic hunting, hunting in highly mineralized soils, jewelry/object recovery, club contest hunts, archeological surveying). Once they gravitate towards some or all of the above aspects of the hobby (or the several other sub-genres I haven't even mentioned) then the choice of a more long-term, specialized detector (or detectors) can be made with the appropriate $$ investment. I know that when I got into the hobby, (1) I knew nothing, (2) bought a cheap BH as an impulse buy as something to do at the beach on the annual family vacations, and (3) it took me a couple of years of beach clad hunting and a minor detector upgrade to a Tek Delta before I realized the other aspects of the hobby that really appealed to me (primarily relic hunting) and then finally invested in my "dream" detector, the XP Deus. That did not stop me from purchasing other detectors for other specialized situations (F75 for the coil choices, Excal for surf beach, Garret ATX, then Minelab GPX for high mineral, relic hunting, Whites MX Sport (as a replacement for an AT Pro which I honestly never could get used to due to weight/balance and user interface issues I have previously mentioned - again for full disclosure of my perspective/bias, not to dissuade Armor9 from Garrett).

It is clear, Armor9 will not be dissuaded from the AT Max, for any feature that a Tnet user points out that doesn't exist on the Max, yet exists on any existing or future detector. So please stop trying. But those trying make useful recommendations are in the difficult position of attempting to make an informed suggestion with precious little of Armor9's background in metal detecting to go on - e.g.,, what detecting experience you have (even though this is going to be your first detector, you have obviously been at least vicariously following the hobby through message boards and, I suppose, the occasional borrowed detector hunt since you have been contemplating this first detector purchase for the last couple of years - which, again, is unusual for the hobby "newbie"), what type of detecting would you like to do, are you even going into the water (you do pay a premium for a waterproof machine, but that is becoming less as more and more manufacturers make "all terrain" a basic functional requirement), do you have a physical limitation that would suggest use of a lighter weight machine. So without that knowledge how can anyone legitimately provide to you "Any reason NOT to get an AT Max?".

All discussions regarding models and brands aside, the AT Max would not be my recommended first detector for the typical newcomer to the hobby with no detecting experience whatsoever for the reasons I stated above (even though it is capable and not difficult to learn). So the real question for you Armor9, why does it make sense to you personally to lay out that much money for your first detector? In other words, what do you know about the hobby that makes you willing to significantly invest in this first detector and assures you that it will not end up in the closet after a few detecting sessions. This has nothing to do with whether or not the Max is a capable detector, because all nit picking aside, we all know that it is capable. The answers to these last questions, that only you alone can answer, will best inform you whether there is any reason not to get a Max. Good luck and Happy Hunting (as soon as the weather cooperates after you get your new Christmas present).

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can tell you my personal experience. I've hunted with an AT Pro for years and really liked it a lot. However I have an F75 and a CTX 3030 also. I use the detector that fits the location for ME. I use my CTX on the beach most of the time.....it excels there. I'm still getting the hang of my F75 and like it very much so far. With that all said, I had the chance to test drive the MAX for two weeks and loved it. I went back over an old homesite that I've hit many, many times before. The MAX pulled out of a bed of nails so many good objects that were being masked that I was amazed. I'm not brand loyal at all. But going to have to show me the Equinox will live up to the hype. The MAX is NOT a rehashed machine. It goes deeper....and target identifies better in iron. If Garrett had put it in a new control box and changed these features, would anyone be calling it a "rehash?" I like the other new features too....(backlit, new style handle, volume control, threshold, wireless) Yes it could have been lighter, but I swing all day and have never really understood all the complaining about the weight. Maybe it's because I also swing the CTX and in the water. I think speculating on a brand new machine from specs only is simply foolish. My two cents.

GavBowler

Nov 16, 2017
Nottinghamshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was tempted to get the AT max but as I own an X Terra and minelab have always served me well I decided to wait for the Equinox 800. Fingers crossed we won't be dissapointed!

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Might I ask how you estimate the % of objects depth in your area ?

Sure, let me try to break it down for ya.....
If I dig 100 targets and 10 of those targets are over 5" deep then that would result in the remaining 90 targets being less than 5" deep.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kajunoutlaw, please post by our rules, end the insults.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you my personal experience. I've hunted with an AT Pro for years and really liked it a lot. However I have an F75 and a CTX 3030 also. I use the detector that fits the location for ME. I use my CTX on the beach most of the time.....it excels there. I'm still getting the hang of my F75 and like it very much so far. With that all said, I had the chance to test drive the MAX for two weeks and loved it. I went back over an old homesite that I've hit many, many times before. The MAX pulled out of a bed of nails so many good objects that were being masked that I was amazed. I'm not brand loyal at all. But going to have to show me the Equinox will live up to the hype. The MAX is NOT a rehashed machine. It goes deeper....and target identifies better in iron. If Garrett had put it in a new control box and changed these features, would anyone be calling it a "rehash?" I like the other new features too....(backlit, new style handle, volume control, threshold, wireless) Yes it could have been lighter, but I swing all day and have never really understood all the complaining about the weight. Maybe it's because I also swing the CTX and in the water. I think speculating on a brand new machine from specs only is simply foolish. My two cents.

Re: "Foolish"

In general, I understand why folks would generally frown upon recommending someone wait and get the next big thing, sight unseen (a classic, foolish blunder I, myself, have made). Another mistake is constantly waiting for the next big thing to come out before you buy, just get anything and get out there and detect! But I think that mischaracterizes why some folks are recommending that in this specific case the OP might want to hold off and see what happens with the Equinox. At the risk of coming off overly defensive, let me clarify the logic behind that recommendation:

The OP has been contemplating his first detector for a few years now, as I understand it. First seriously considering the AT Pro and now the recently released AT Max (if his heart is dead set on Garrett, I agree with his choice, there) that his wife will (hopefully, if she follows instructions lol) get him for Christmas. Considering that Ohio may likely be frozen and undetectable for a few more months after that, then the OP may not get to use his new toy for quite a while from now.

The Equinox has some superior specs vs. the Max on paper including, multiple frequencies, high frequency ops (>AT Gold and Max), higher and adjustable recovery speed, non-proprietary wireless conforming to the commercial bluetooth standard (meaning you can use your own BT headphones than being locked into a manufacturer's proprietary wireless solution, e.g., Z link), and lighter weight. It is scheduled for release in December. So by the time the OP can likely detect, there will be a few months of Equinox real life experience out there to confirm or refute the claims.

So the point is why not just wait until Equinox comes out to see what happens (i.e. not just blindly reommending the OP get the Equinox) and avoid potential buyer's remorse. If Minelab does not meet its timeline, then get the Max for Christmas and the OP is no worse for the wear. Make sense?

Point is moot anyway since the OP will apparently only be dissuaded from the Max if there is some fatal flaw with the machine, which of course there is none. Not a criticism, just a fact and I know the OP is genuinely listening to all the advice he is getting, so kudos to him. Furthermore, Garrett has had a pretty successful release as far as Max delivered performance and quality control are concerned. I have no idea if the anticipated sales numbers have been impacted by the Minelab Equinox announcement as I would expect.

HTH explain why it is not so foolush to recommend a yet to be released detector in this case. Seems more prudent than foolish to me.

OTOH I explained previously why I would not recommend the AT Max for someone just getting into the hobby, same logic holds true for the Equinox, Deus, F75, and my other detectors unless buying at a deep discount, used. Beginners can be successful and learn with the above mid to advanced detectors, but they should fall in love with the hobby not the detector, first. You don’t have to spend $$ on your first detector to figure out whether or not you will love detecting.

HH to all!

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Started in 1967 looking at detectors in magazines...all the well written adds made me lust after many a new machine.
Bought my first in 1969 been a detector pervert since then...ya i`m sick ...but feel great.
They the advertisers told us their machine would hit a coin sized target at a depth of 12" by 1975 every year better separation.
I lusted after this next best detector in 1988...nothing has changed for me 65 and still looking.
You want to buy a Max i say go for it another great detector is just around the corner.
Gary
Picture 252.jpg Picture 253.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually, the best advice I have seen yet in this whole thread.

I think, Armor9, you may be the exception to the rule regarding recommendations on a first time machine. Armor9, correct me if I am wrong, but you have made reference to being an attorney. As a professional attorney, perhaps you are not significantly income limited (again just an inference, correct me if I am wrong), so the actual penalty to you personally would be small, but I would never recommend to a new detectorist to necessarily get a mid-level detector like the AT Max as a first detector. The new detectorist, might be better served with a lower end but capable detector model such as Loco Digger suggested until (1) they are sure the hobby is for them (many folks get quickly discouraged as the dream of plentiful treasures unburied fades into the reality of thousands of pop top, foil, pull tab, iron nail recoveries and the need for advil pez dispensers after their first multi-hour swing and dig session collecting all that trash and a few clad coins and then abandon the hobby as quickly as they came, while others stay, get the fever and build their obsessive-compulsive detector collections - lol). Minimal investment, minimal loss, and perhaps a lighter weight detector is the objective here and (2) they have figured out which aspect of the hobby best appeals to them (e.g., fresh dry beach hunting, freshwater hunting (lakes and streams), salt dry beach hunting, surf hunting, dive hunting, park hunting for coils and jewelry, relic hunting, hunting in highly mineralized soils, jewelry/object recovery, club contest hunts, archeological surveying). Once they gravitate towards some or all of the above aspects of the hobby (or the several other sub-genres I haven't even mentioned) then the choice of a more long-term, specialized detector (or detectors) can be made with the appropriate $$ investment. I know that when I got into the hobby, (1) I knew nothing, (2) bought a cheap BH as an impulse buy as something to do at the beach on the annual family vacations, and (3) it took me a couple of years of beach clad hunting and a minor detector upgrade to a Tek Delta before I realized the other aspects of the hobby that really appealed to me (primarily relic hunting) and then finally invested in my "dream" detector, the XP Deus. That did not stop me from purchasing other detectors for other specialized situations (F75 for the coil choices, Excal for surf beach, Garret ATX, then Minelab GPX for high mineral, relic hunting, Whites MX Sport (as a replacement for an AT Pro which I honestly never could get used to due to weight/balance and user interface issues I have previously mentioned - again for full disclosure of my perspective/bias, not to dissuade Armor9 from Garrett).

It is clear, Armor9 will not be dissuaded from the AT Max, for any feature that a Tnet user points out that doesn't exist on the Max, yet exists on any existing or future detector. So please stop trying. But those trying make useful recommendations are in the difficult position of attempting to make an informed suggestion with precious little of Armor9's background in metal detecting to go on - e.g.,, what detecting experience you have (even though this is going to be your first detector, you have obviously been at least vicariously following the hobby through message boards and, I suppose, the occasional borrowed detector hunt since you have been contemplating this first detector purchase for the last couple of years - which, again, is unusual for the hobby "newbie"), what type of detecting would you like to do, are you even going into the water (you do pay a premium for a waterproof machine, but that is becoming less as more and more manufacturers make "all terrain" a basic functional requirement), do you have a physical limitation that would suggest use of a lighter weight machine. So without that knowledge how can anyone legitimately provide to you "Any reason NOT to get an AT Max?".

All discussions regarding models and brands aside, the AT Max would not be my recommended first detector for the typical newcomer to the hobby with no detecting experience whatsoever for the reasons I stated above (even though it is capable and not difficult to learn). So the real question for you Armor9, why does it make sense to you personally to lay out that much money for your first detector? In other words, what do you know about the hobby that makes you willing to significantly invest in this first detector and assures you that it will not end up in the closet after a few detecting sessions. This has nothing to do with whether or not the Max is a capable detector, because all nit picking aside, we all know that it is capable. The answers to these last questions, that only you alone can answer, will best inform you whether there is any reason not to get a Max. Good luck and Happy Hunting (as soon as the weather cooperates after you get your new Christmas present).

Hope that makes sense.

What is a professional attorney? Is there a non-professional attorney? LOL just messing with ya. Yes you are correct I am an attorney and have a successful law firm. So yes you are correct that when making a purchase money is not the only thing that I look at when making the purchase. But that does not mean I am foolish with my money either. If I was I would be jumping into a $2,000+ machine for my first one. But my time is also very limited. I work 60-70 hours per week and also have a 5 year old son. So when I do have time for a hobby, I want to make sure I am getting the max out of my time.

When I make purchases, I research as best as I can to make sure I know as much about the item and how it compares to other similar items. Here I googled, "top metal detectors" and then took all those that were listed (almost everyone people mentioned were listed there) and then I researched those. Then I googled "AT Pro vs XYZ" (this was when I was looking at the Pro) and there were often several comparison reviews out there.

Now keep in mind, this post was not titled, "What detector should I get?" it is titled "Any reason NOT to get an AT Max?" So while I welcome the debate and discussion of different machines because it makes me more informed overall and may help out someone that IS looking for a suggestion of a new detector, that I not my goal. I am looking for someone that might have knowledge on a major flaw or oversight on the AT Max. That I have not heard here. By any far I have heard the same thing I have read for a couple of months on other sites and other reviews.

So why get an AT Max for my first detector? I have mentioned some reason above. First and foremost from all accounts it is a good and capable machine. Second I know that I will be able to grow with it and not say 12 months from now, man I wish I had gotten the AT Max. Finally, I have a VERY stressful job and I think that it will be a good hobby that will allow me to get away and just chill. I can walk as fast as I want or as slow as I want. When we take the RV out and about I can take the detector along and see what I find. When I was in the Army and driving across the country I would often drive past an old abandoned house and think, man I would love to metal detect there; so it is a bug I've had for a long, long time. I am a history buff, majored in it in college, and I would be as happy digging a square nail as a silver coin, because of the history. I am the WORST person to take to a museum because I want to touch everything, here I will get to touch the history. So I am not worried about losing the interest in a few seasons.

Hope that help explain my thought process.

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Started in 1967 looking at detectors in magazines...all the well written adds made me lust after many a new machine.
Bought my first in 1969 been a detector pervert since then...ya i`m sick ...but feel great.
They the advertisers told us their machine would hit a coin sized target at a depth of 12" by 1975 every year better separation.
I lusted after this next best detector in 1988...nothing has changed for me 65 and still looking.
You want to buy a Max i say go for it another great detector is just around the corner.
Gary
View attachment 1516723 View attachment 1516725

Those are awesome magazines you have there. The coolest magazine/catalog I have EVER seen is a 1901 (reprint sadly) Sears catalog. It quite simply was Amazon of its day. It is AMAZING the things you could buy from a catalog as well as things people would buy. I've spent hours going through that thing and am amazed every time I go through it at something new I see.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter want detector you buy , you need to believe in it. You wont find a thing if it just sits in a closet. Some of my best finds could of been found with a $19 Jetco Mustang. A Morgan dollar with the rim exposed or a walker 2" deep, no way they could of been missed...as long as you are swinging something.

My old hunting buddy from the 80's-90's used nothing but a Big Bud pro and made incredible finds. It wasn't because he had a great machine, it was the fact that he hunted everyday and knew what every squeak and beep meant. In the winter he hunted snow banks at the malls. I think he could tell you the date on the coin before digging it up :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread